Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 3:52 PM
Categorise custom music?
Hey everyone!

I have a question, I hope this is the right place to ask it, since it's not really a 'problem' with the game, but it is a bit of a technical question...

In The Sims 2, I used to have different folders for diferent genres of my own music. For instance, when my sims switched their radio to the pop channel, it played the pop music I myself put in the pop music folder. I remember I could even switch off the original Sims music, so that just my own music was played.

But in The Sims 3, there is just one music folder the 'Custom Music' folder, and the music there is played only on the 'Custom Music' channel of my sims' radio. Is there any way around this, so that I can add my own Jazz, Pop, Rock, R&B etc.?

Thanks for the help in advance!

And again, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I found the question a bit hard to place :S
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 8:39 PM
The short answer is No. EA is very discriminative toward "Custom Music". They have their own channels categorized into different stations, and they have "Custom Music". You can still put your music in different sub folders for your own organization need. But EA will not load them differently.

The long answer is .... Yes. As in with TV channels, people can edit the channel list and add their own channels. Same can be done for music: add extra radio stations into the list to trick TS3 that it has more than the default list. THe problem is it is not a walk in the park, and somehow so far no tutorial (that I know of) that shows you how to do this yet. There are tutorials to show you how to create your own TV channels, the concept is about the same, but the technical part is definitely not (at least you won't know what file to change).

So the big answer is: Yes, technically! But, can you do it, or has anyone done it?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:29 PM
There is a thread here: http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=418050 that talks about decoding the Sims 3 audio. I have been checking up on it every now and then because I eventually want to make my own custom instrument. The thread is still up and running it seems, so this is probably the best place to go if you're having questions about the radio stations.
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by birdyfly
There is a thread here: http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=418050 that talks about decoding the Sims 3 audio. I have been checking up on it every now and then because I eventually want to make my own custom instrument. The thread is still up and running it seems, so this is probably the best place to go if you're having questions about the radio stations.

That's a very useful thread for me. Thanks for the link. Every since LN came out, I've been trying to replace one of the default jam types with a custom song. Now maybe I can pull it off without completely screwing up my game.

"The ice is near, the solitude is terrible."
Theorist
#5 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 12:44 AM
Thanks for that as well. I want to eventually put my own sounds in too (talk radio!!) and knew it would become possible somehow.
I will wait for a while before attempting it though. Perhaps an EP / patch will make all this easier.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to check in here sooner, but I'm definately going to try this! It looks dificult though...

But thanks a lot anyway!