Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:14 AM
Default Do you listen to music whilst playing The sims?
I do I almost always have iTunes on whilst playing. I just turn the sound options quite low on my game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:25 AM
Yeah, me too, especially in build/buy. The game music gets boring after a while!

thought cancer: a disease of the mind, contracted through culture
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:30 AM
Sometimes. I usually play in my room, so I'll have my iPlod playing next to me on my iHome. I cancel out of everything when I'm playing the Sims so I don't have my iTunes going. I used to, though, when I only had a) the base game or b) Sims 2.
Theorist
#4 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:47 AM
I'm almost always listening to music while playing

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 1:05 AM
I have placed a lot of my favorite music into the game. I listen to that. I generally listen to Mahler if I listen form an outside source. Somehow his music seems like the best fit. Also a French composer who no one has ever heard of named Alberic Magnard, his music is similar to Mahler in some ways. Also sometimes I’ll listen to Haydn. Although I love rock music and jazz, I rarely listen to anything but classical when simming.

I also just want to say this is such a great site, and so useful – I am unemployed now but when I can I definitely will make at least a contribution, as I have benefited from the stuff on here so much.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:50 AM
Usually "classic pop" -- standards like Da Linnip, Podie Tie, or oldies like Pocketful of Sunshii -- whilst in the game. Other genres at other times, though. There is Celtic music in my Custom Music directory. In general my main reason not to turn on music would be that there's already music playing out of the same speakers
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:31 AM
For The Sims 2, after I got Seasons and I really started playing it, I actually listened to the in-game music a lot. I was usually listening to the Classical station.

However, with The Sims 3 I primarily listen to my iPod. I've never tried running any game with iTunes open and playing. Besides I like being able to have full control over both my iPod and my computer if I want to listen to something in the game. Plus, I skip through songs, so that wouldn't work out too well for me.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Forum Resident
#8 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:01 AM
I usually open up media player and play music from there. I've never thought of using my mp3 player, though. I actually like that idea, since it would give me better control over what I want to listen to. But, yeah, I don't listen to in-game music pretty much ever. Not because I don't like it, but after a while, it gets old.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:46 AM
I listened to the sim's radio for entertainment.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 10:20 AM
I have never liked TS3's default music. The music is boring and repetitive, most of the music doesn't really suit the game that well. However, I'm tolerant enough to actually have the music play as normal.
Scholar
#11 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 11:56 AM
If I'm building, decorating, or anything else that isn't strictly playing the game, I'll usually mute the game music and turn iTunes on in the background. Otherwise, it's gameplay as normal--full sound, no interferences.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Alchemist
#12 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 11:59 AM
I play TS3 in windowed mode for about 4 months now, which is usual because I can have my mediaplayer running and skip songs without having to minimize the game

I come in peace
#13 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:22 PM
No, I like hearing the game sounds, I think it's part of the experience. The only Sim music that drives me insane is the kids channel. When I'm building, I turn sound off.
Theorist
#14 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:31 PM
TS3 is too much of a RAM hog to run a media player simultaneously on the PC.
An external iPod is the answer.
Sometimes I put TS2 music on. It inspires me when I build.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:36 PM
No I like the ingame music and the Sim sound (except in build/buy mode) BUT I usually have movies or tv shows going in the background with the volume a little lower than the Sims sounds. That way I can listen for when my sims' phone rings.
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:59 PM
When I'm in buy mode I usually listen to Pandora Radio on my ipod. But sometimes I just turn the sound off and play the entire game to my own soundtrack. lol
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nada_Nada
When I'm in buy mode I usually listen to Pandora Radio on my ipod. But sometimes I just turn the sound off and play the entire game to my own soundtrack. lol

I listen to Pandora right on website, while muting the music and ambient sounds of TS3.

While I am already tired and fed up with TS3 music, I feel it is still good to listen to the sound feedbacks from the game, like the sound of car, sims doing stuff, click sounds of TS3 menus. I don't hear music from in game stereo, and I mute the TV so I don't hear their sounds either. It works out well except the sound of playing video games, I wish I knew a way to turn that off.

Beside Pandora, I actually spend more time watching Netflix while playing TS3. That is because I indulge the luxury of having 2 monitors. Oh no, I didn't buy 2nd monitor just for TS3, but it is almost a requirement for my work.

Edit: I do agree about the RAM hogging part. But since I have 8Gb of RAM, I have a lot of RAM to go around for TS3 to chew on. Just don't try to play another game while TS3 is on.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
#18 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:57 PM
I like in the game sounds, especially with a virtuoso sim in the shower singing away, it makes me smile The only in game sound that bugs me is some of the sounds gardening sims make, some are a bit wierd, oh and of course the buy/build music which is duly muted (there is a new tune there btw!) .. ..
Instructor
#19 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:06 PM
I listen to all the game sounds as well, even the music. I've spent SO many hours in build/buy mode that I don't even hear the music anymore. Though I will notice that some of the build/buy music will pop into my head at random times, while I'm at work, in the shower, in my dreams...

The only sounds I can't stand in the game are listening to Sims snore and when slob/messy Sims eat like pigs. Those are two sounds I absolutely hate in real life, so in the Sims I can at least escape to Map View while those are going on. =)

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Alchemist
#20 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:01 PM
I usually watch tv while simming. Unless of course I want to play the sims on my 40" tv . I like all the sims sounds
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:06 PM
I usually get so tuned into the actual game play that I don't notice any sounds after a while, If I did listen to music I wouldn't be able to tell you what song I was on.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honor that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:08 PM
While playing Sims2 (or Sims3), I have Winamp play a special mix which includes:
- music from The Sims 1, SimCity 3000, SimCity 4, SimCity Societies, and their expansions
- pop/rock and roll from the 1950s and 1960s
- light rock from the 1970s, 1980s
- Various eighties genres (pop, new wave, synth)
- 90s-2000s pop and alternative

Since I own ALL the Sims 1 discs I have a fairly...expansive collection there.
Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 2:55 PM
I just play Bring me the Horizon or August Burns Red.