Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 6:26 AM
Default Map Tags
May i ask how you turn those map tags on?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 2:56 PM Last edited by Chronicle : 31st Jan 2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: How did I not catch that typo?! "Blood relatives & family," indeed. XD
Quote: Originally posted by fay1684
May i ask how you turn those map tags on?

Sure! Lemme just boot up my game and go through the menus a bit here...

Okay, got it. Here's the step by step instructions for turning all the map tags on once you've got Twallan's Story Progression:

-Click on your sim, then NRaas, then Story Progression, then "General Options"
-Click on "Options: Lots"
-Scroll down the list, click on "Show Map Tags."
-Choose which Map Tags you want to see - just blood relatives, blood relatives & friends, or all. (Or none. Y'know. If you want. o_o)
-Now you can back out of the menus.

Let me know if you need any more help, and if it works for you. I've only had the map-tags-for-all not work for me ONCE - I had just switched households, and for some reason the extra map tags weren't showing. After I hurriedly had my sim run next door and meet someone, the map tags showed up again. *shrug!*

EDIT: Actually, after some more gameplay, it seems that the extra map tags disappear after entering/exiting Edit Town. They seem to come back after my sim does anything (not just talking to people), or if I'm especially impatient, just going through the above steps again will get them back too. So there we go. (:
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 11:09 PM
Thanks Chronicle, could have used those map tags when I was searching for a family a couple hours earlier XD
Test Subject
#29 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 12:45 AM
Thanks guys! I had totally forgotten I posted a question on here. I usually bookmark any forum posts up in my bookmark toolbar so I'll remember to go back. If my arms weren't attached to my........ umm, what was I saying? *grin*

Both mods sound great, but I'll have to grab Twallan's cuz I already have a core mod. I'm using BaXiM's Core mod from SexySims2. Mostly I got it cuz I want my LGBT sims to be able to get pregnant. But there's a few neat little options. I have lots of trouble with it though. Just random glitches that are annoying and tend to make me stop playing for months at a time cuz trying to troubleshoot mods and custom content is a PAIN... mostly cuz it takes 10 years for the game to load up each time. Blargh. The price ya pay for mods and CC, right? heh. I don't suppose Awesome's allows for same sex pregnancy?

I LOVE the idea of the popup messages about what's going on in town. That sounds like lots of fun. Add lots of spice to my game. Though with my new twins, it's not like I've got a lot of time right now. Heh. My first babies on TS3! I'm so proud. Tahra Leigh and Orina are their names. =) Can't wait to see them grow up... see what's different from TS2. It's one of my favorite things about Sims is making new family and watching them grow and get married and have kids and get old and die and just to have generations upon generations that you've played. I did have a concern. If you can only play one household.. what happens when your kids fall in love, get married, bring home that new person, have kids of their own, then THEIR kids do the same? How do you fit that many people into one house? *rofl*

And Chronicle, the map tags sound like they'll DEFINITELY be useful. Jena, my simmie, is a musician (what happened to the piano, btw? i loved the piano in TS2... and the other instruments for that matter) and knowing the hot spots would definitely help with performing for tips! I wish I knew someplace where everyone congregated after 9pm. Everyone seems to start going home then but that's usually when I get off work. And Jena is a workaholic so she's not gonna miss work. Heh.

I’m sure I’m in serious need of some moral spankitude, but guess who’s not qualified to be my rabbi?”
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 1:03 AM
The Late Night expansion has a piano Drums and Bass too
Love the names of your twins!

When did you get the sims 3 ? I got it about two months ago, though it feels like so much more. My Sims 2 games are in the bottom of some drawers now
Test Subject
#31 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anjalena
Both mods sound great, but I'll have to grab Twallan's cuz I already have a core mod. I'm using BaXiM's Core mod from SexySims2. Mostly I got it cuz I want my LGBT sims to be able to get pregnant. But there's a few neat little options. I have lots of trouble with it though. Just random glitches that are annoying and tend to make me stop playing for months at a time cuz trying to troubleshoot mods and custom content is a PAIN... mostly cuz it takes 10 years for the game to load up each time. Blargh. The price ya pay for mods and CC, right? heh. I don't suppose Awesome's allows for same sex pregnancy?

Probably, but Twallan's SP does, too. It's under Options:Pregnancy, apparently. (I've got SP, but I haven't added it to the game yet. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 2:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arachne3003
Probably, but Twallan's SP does, too. It's under Options:Pregnancy, apparently. (I've got SP, but I haven't added it to the game yet. )
It does, I think the Twallan's Woohooer SP also allows it And teen pregnancy, which works with my current demi-god/hillbilly plot XD
Theorist
#33 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 1:24 PM
I have this CAS family with 2 family-oriented parents. I didn't know about story progression yet and went to play another household while the Story Progression is on. The parents of that family, being both family oriented, went and made babies. And more. And more. And more.
And that's the last time I ever leave the Story Progression on
Field Researcher
#34 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 2:35 PM
I'm using Twallan's story progression, and after I switched active families to start my legacy, only one of the triplets my old family had aged up to toddler. Their brother aged up to child after the one triplet, but the other two are still babies.

That is extremely strange.
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 7:24 PM
^ Hm, that is odd. I've had twins/triplets be a bit slow with aging before, like take a couple hours after the first sibling's birth, but usually they eventually came. Maybe you should invite yourself over and manually age up the other two babies?
Field Researcher
#36 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 10:42 PM
I randomly decided to play Jamie Jolina in Sunset Valley. Somehow she started dating Xander who is/was a thief at the time.

So she goes to a party and her boyfriend is there. The hostess is chatting up Jamie and I notice that Xander randomly vanished. I start looking around the house for him, to catch him cheating or something, only to get the alert that someone is breaking into my sims house.

IT WAS XANDER.

That asshole.
Test Subject
#37 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 12:37 AM
Oooh, see I thought Late Night was mostly like Night Life for Sims 2 and though I did get that expansion for TS2, I didn't do a lot with it cuz it was mostly about parties and I suck at parties. Blargh. =( But now that I know it has the other instruments, I'm gonna have to see about grabbing it when I get some money.

Thanks for the compliment about my sim names. I'm one of those fantasy genre kooks. I play RPGs and read fantasy books. Lord of the Rings was a huge deal for me and people like me. Heh. I also used to role-play a lot (it's a lot like acting.. well it basically IS acting, but without the getting paid part.) and one of my characters was named TahraLeigh. She was a "streetslut", aka lady of the night. And she went by the name TL on the streets. Nobody actually knew that her full name was TahraLeigh. Then when she got reincarnated (this was on an online role-playing game), she was LADY TahraLeigh... a noble woman of great means. BUT, what nobody knew is that she wasn't -really- a noble woman. She was actually an assassin. Her "cover" had been blown in the other country she was in so she fled and ended up in a new town with lots of people to manipulate and control and .. uhh.. kill. Heh. So that's where the name TahraLeigh came from. TahraLeigh is a genius and a virtuoso. Yeah, I'm terrible about not picking "handicap" traits. *giggle*

And when I saw that I had twins, I decided to get my friend Joan in on the action. She's got a VERY old computer and can't run TS3, so I asked her to name the second baby after one of her old characters that she loves. I also had her choose the traits for her. She named her Orina and the baby's traits are "Artistic" and "Absent Minded". And as she grows older, I'm gonna take screenshots and little vids to show to my friend. She's I guess kinda like Orina's Godmother. =)

As for when I got TS3, I got it the day it came out. BUT, I've spent massive amounts of time not playing due to having other things going on. I was deeply involved in my World of Warcraft game at the time. And there were other things that I don't remember. Plus when I found BaXiM's mod, and decided I wanted to use that, I didn't want to play without it. (i have OCD) But I've had problem after problem with it. And I definitely didn't want to play without it cuz I wanted to have kids as early as possible so I'd have life left to have more if I want. Their lives never are long enough to do everything you wanna do, are they? And I couldn't find another mod that had same sex pregnancy and I looked so hard... but I suck at research. =( So I ended up just setting the game aside indefinitely. Also, my TS2 game and expansions are all out there on my book/game shelf. =)

So, it sounds like Twallan's SP might be a good idea for me. And I might decide to check out AwesomeMod too, with story progression off, of course.

I do have a quick question though and then I'll end this huge wall of text. (i've always been verbose. it's a flaw.) I see people talking about switching over to another household for a while and I'm wondering how that works. Cuz I thought you could only play one household and that's it. I got the impression you could make a new household or something, but that you had to completely abandon the old one and my assumption is that you couldn't go back. Can someone explain to me how all this works, please? I'm hopelessly ignorant on this.

Okay, I lied. One more question. What's the difference between a Private Wedding and the regular kind? Do you have to amuse all the guests in a regular wedding like in TS2, kinda party style, and try to get a "good grade" on your wedding party? I just don't do parties well. Kinda like researching in that way. And if I'm gonna be expected to try to get a good grade on my wedding, I'd rather just have a private wedding.

Alright, I'm done. I promise. *whispers, 'for now'* *giggles* Thank you guys for the help and the funny anecdotes and the wonderful stories. Makes me feel kinda like part of a family here. Hopefully that didn't come off creepy. *rofl*

I’m sure I’m in serious need of some moral spankitude, but guess who’s not qualified to be my rabbi?”
Test Subject
#38 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 5:54 AM
Did I say something wrong? I was answering other posts and even told a little story about my names which was in response to ebec17. This thread being about story progression I figured it'd be okay to share my story. I also asked 2 questions which nobody has responded to. Yet someone marked my post as "disagree"? Is there something I said that was inappropriate or misleading or something? =(

Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 6:15 AM Last edited by ebec17 : 3rd Feb 2011 at 6:17 AM. Reason: Because it's 1 am and my grammer sucks :P
Sometimes people are trigger crazy with the disagree button XD
And honestly I just got WA a couple days ago and got a little too absorbed with it to be on here as much as I usually am But no, most people don't usually respond with so much text, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. It's more like people are lazy I used to do it all the time when I was younger, now I don't have the attention span to write much. Too many other shiny posts to respond to :P
When you switch households, you lose the promised wishes and something else (I think all current actions are stopped? I can't remember exactly), but you can go back Some things might be changed though as the story progression affects all inactive families, including the one you just left. You can change that though using the Twallan mod, you can make it like Sims 2 if you want to.
For the second question...I'm not sure. I think you have to provide food and stuff for the guest, and I THINK it's like another party, except you're getting married. This is not from personal experience though XD I loathe parties too, so I'm happy with the private wedding Make it special by getting married at the beach and stuff. I did a private wedding at the graveyard once, though it kept on getting interrupted by the ghosts :P
Alchemist
#40 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 9:14 AM
Well, how about naming a girl Christian?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Forum Resident
#41 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 9:22 AM
Oh god yes the names.... Several boys in my neighbourhood have come out with the name "Tracey" but never any girls.

To be fair though, that isn't a product of story progression, it's more of a side effect. Nraas and AwesomeStory will also pick crap names, because they pluck them from the Eaxian list of (Stupid) names too. Of course a simple STBL mod fixes this, (although it is a little daunting making one, alot of names to fill)

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Alchemist
#42 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 12:47 PM
LOL, Tracey is one of my favorite boy names. A lot of names that were once considered traditionally male have become considered female only names. When my sister was expecting her boy, she had a hard time picking names, because like me she has a fondness for the old male names like Shannon and Tracey, but she was afraid her son would get teased for having a 'girl' name.
So, I love that these names are for boys in my Sims world, lol.
Test Subject
#43 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ebec17
...snip...
When you switch households, you lose the promised wishes and something else (I think all current actions are stopped? I can't remember exactly), but you can go back Some things might be changed though as the story progression affects all inactive families, including the one you just left. You can change that though using the Twallan mod, you can make it like Sims 2 if you want to.
...snip... so I'm happy with the private wedding Make it special by getting married at the beach and stuff. I did a private wedding at the graveyard once, though it kept on getting interrupted by the ghosts :P

Thanks Ebec! I was worried I'd broken an unspoken rule or something and was being shunned. *ROFL* Yes, I -am- mildly paranoid.... and also slightly *wobbles her finger across her lips while making a sound... universal sign for "nuts"*. But thank you for answering my questions!

I wonder why EA made it so you can't have more than one household. Well I guess because of story progression. It'd be neat if you could play one family for a week, then go back in time and play the other family for a week. But yeah I'm already seeing problems with that. Cuz if your first family affected the story in any way, your other family would be unaffected by it. Yeah, mind boggling.

Woah!! Thank you SOOO much for the information about getting married at other places! It never occurred to me to do it anywhere else than at home! My brain still thinks like a Sims 2 brain, I think. *rofl* That's an awesome idea. *is so excited she has to go do that RIGHT NOW... well, after she gets Twallan's mods up and working* :lovestruc

Ya know I'm a bit daunted by Twallan's mods. There seem to be 20 million options which is swell on paper but very overwhelming. So how do you set a -global- option like, say, same-sex pregnancy? (i do already have the maternity clothes for fellas) I haven't read everything yet cuz, yeah, overwhelmed... but my understanding is that if you just click on one sim, it only affects that sim?

Field Researcher
#44 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 5:05 PM
If you set a global option, it will effect the entire game not just your sim. So if you set same sex pregnancy, any sim in world can get pregnant by the same sex not just your sim. It can be a bit much at first but you will get the hang of it. Reading forum post will tell you a lot about you need to know.

Call me Sasha
Funny how when your a kid, you dream about your future and when you are an adult, you dream about going back to when you were a kid.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 12:36 PM
Something which actually kinda hurt a bit when it happened recently has me finally off looking for SP mods.

I had two sims which met is school, grew up together, high school sweethearts etc. They didn't move in together at Young Adult straight away because I wanted them to havwe 'saved up' some money for when they get married and move in. All goes to plan, engagement, start planning and setting out the wedding perfectly at the waterfall lot... turn the game back on and get the message that the Groom 'has moved out of town, we hope you didn't lend him any books'

My own dumb fault for not saving more frequently but I lost a chunk of the game to that...

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Test Subject
#46 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 12:31 AM
I don't know if this has anything to do with SP but my YA legacy heiress recently got married to a YA male who's father on the family tree shows to be a child who is married to an Elder female? LOL
Scholar
Original Poster
#47 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 2:15 AM
I had my sim's childhood friend and teenage girlfriend grow up to young adult during the 3rd day of him being a teenager. Oh, I was MAD!
Test Subject
#48 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 2:44 AM
One of my Sims was best friends with Jamie Jolina, and I decided to invite her over. By the time she made it to my house, she'd aged up to an Elder (in her picture in the relationship panel she was still an adult when he'd called her). She ended up leaving to go to work, and a couple of hours later, I got a pop-up stating that she'd died from old age. The sad thing was she'd been in a relationship with Molly French who'd died of old age a few days prior, so it was like she wanted to join her in the afterlife.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anjalena
Thanks Ebec! I was worried I'd broken an unspoken rule or something and was being shunned.

I wonder why EA made it so you can't have more than one household. Well I guess because of story progression. It'd be neat if you could play one family for a week, then go back in time and play the other family for a week.

Threads like these tend to come and go. Don't take it too personally if nobody responds. It happens to all of us.

You can have as many households as you want. If you want to play Sims-2 style you can simply turn story progression off in the main game options. You can switch households from the 'edit town' map view by using the little EA symbol of two houses on the lower left console.

But if you use Twallen's Master Controller you can just click on anyone, at any time and switch to playing their household and make them the active sim.

When you fill up a family you do have to choose who to continue following, if you have story progression on. That can be a tough choice, but at least with a modded story progression you can easily determine what kinds of actions are allowable for anyone or everyone

You could split a family of triplets and play one, and freeze the parent's household (twallen's 'stasis'), and freeze the siblings as well. Or you could allow progression but 'retain dreams and opportunities' between houses if you plan to switch back and forth a lot.

Its all possible and definitely worth the time in learning. There are a lot of details to twallen's mods, but even straight out of the box they are miles and miles ahead of the EA options which vary from

1. Turn Stupid on.
2. Turn Stupid off.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 3:40 PM
I use Twallan's SP, so the little pop ups tell me what's going on in the neighborhood. Christopher Steele and Fiona McIrish married almost as soon as I started the game. Last night, I got a pop up that Fiona had died from old age, almost immediately followed by a pop up saying Christopher and River were now an item. All in the family? Or should I make one of the cops go grill River?
Page 2 of 3