Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 9:37 AM Last edited by C_Guy : 30th Sep 2014 at 9:49 AM.
Default my phone is getting scary
My smartphone has a app from Google with a microphone search you speak into.

Well this morning I used this Google micramagatchit to ask when McDonald's was open for breakfast and the automated female voice said that McDonald's opens up at 5 am and she proceeded to ask me if I wanted to set my alarm for 5 am, but no option to do so.

The android phones don't have that apple siri thing going on? I'm creeped out now
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:04 PM
They actually do, it's called Google Now. Maybe not a lot of people know about it because it doesn't have a cute name.

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
New Windows phones have Cortana! I dunno, I kind of like having a personal robot assistant. Mostly I like changing other people's names in their phone so Siri or whoever calls them something dumb.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:43 AM
I accidentally opened Siri today and I said "whoops," out loud and "she" was like, "DID YOU ACCIDENTALLY SUMMON ME?" I've never used siri before so I was like

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
They actually do, it's called Google Now. Maybe not a lot of people know about it because it doesn't have a cute name.
I get a kick out of Google Now. I never say, "Ok Google Now" or whatever the magic word is, but simply speak at the microphone in my android and wait for results. Mostly, it's an amazing app, but some of the results are laughable as it tries to make sense of what you're asking. I was trying to look up "Isosceles triangle" and got "I saw Sally's triangle". Couldn't change it no matter how many times I tried.

What if it works like this elevator? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48KA2X2Rb4
Theorist
#6 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:44 PM
Huh, now that made me curious about Sally's triangle, but I don't want to look it up in case it's NSFW.

@ the voice activated elevator. I don't really like voice operated stuff because I feel weird talking to machines. When I call customer service for something and they want you to speak to the machine instead of pressing numbers, I always speak softly because I feel embarrassed for people to hear me talking to a machine, even though that makes no sense because no one knows whether I'm talking to a machine or a human.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Huh, now that made me curious about Sally's triangle, but I don't want to look it up in case it's NSFW.

@ the voice activated elevator. I don't really like voice operated stuff because I feel weird talking to machines. When I call customer service for something and they want you to speak to the machine instead of pressing numbers, I always speak softly because I feel embarrassed for people to hear me talking to a machine, even though that makes no sense because no one knows whether I'm talking to a machine or a human.
Haha - too funny! You can't mention voice operated stuff without me thinking of this clip from The Voyage Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kTVZiJ3Uc

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Theorist
#8 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:31 PM
That's awesome, and I'm old enough I had a Mac Plus just like that. Well, it was already several years old at the time.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 10:09 PM
What if it works like this elevator? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48KA2X2Rb4[/QUOTE]
Now that is a funny video.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:11 PM
This is the best video i have ever seen
my favorite part was when the man in the grey coat threatened the elevator
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:15 PM
Of all the things they could have called Siri, they went with the name of my ex.

So every friggin time I want to use it, I get reminded of her.
:/

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Field Researcher
#12 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
New Windows phones have Cortana! I dunno, I kind of like having a personal robot assistant. Mostly I like changing other people's names in their phone so Siri or whoever calls them something dumb.

I love Cortana! I really thought my poor underpowered Lumia 520 wouldn't be able to handle it, but after the update I can't live without her. I can go "Tell Shitface that Dongle Dude forgot about lunch. Olives today?" and my phone will say "Sending text message to Jessica: Tim is going to Publix to get subs. What do you want on yours?" That works about half the time. The other half I just get a Bing search results page of something weird like "there are no meatballs hello Spencer".

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?