Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 1:32 AM
Default Joining vertices on the UV map
I edited a Maxis gown mesh from the base game so it fits better my imagination of a dress I want to create, but I have a problem with the UV map. Here it is:

As you can see, the skirt part and the top part happen to be separate on the UV map, which would make creating a seamless texture inconvenient. Is there a way to join the selected vertices so the top and the skirt wouldn’t be separate on the map?

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 1:58 AM
Actually I think I found a solution to my problem. I haven’t finished, but this is what I’m doing, and looking at the part of the mesh I edited it happens to work:
  1. I selected the body part, and duplicated it so it’s a separate group in Milkshape.
  2. Then I selected the very same body part I just duplicated on the original body group and deleted it.
  3. I moved the duplicate slightly higher so the vertices don’t overlap and I can be sure that I’m selecting the proper ones.
  4. I selected two vertices that are supposed to overlap, and used Cat’s UV Data Merge and Vertex Data Merge.
  5. After doing it for all the pairs of vertices I’m going to move the duplicate back down, and regroup.

I hope that helps if someone happens to have the same issue

Simblr
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 10:45 PM
It's the UV map you need to adjust, so you don't need to do all those steps with duplicating and whatnot. (Be careful about moving things like the top of the body around; if the neck's not in exactly the right place, you're going to end up with a line where it joins to the head.)

To make everything line up, you can just grab the vertices in the UV map view and move them around until they line up with each other. You'll likely have to do some tweaking on the texture, too (but you'd have to do that anyway, since you're working with two very different UV maps and things aren't going to line up without a struggle). You can use Cat's UV plugin, but be careful along the sides; I've found that because there's more than one vertex selected there (a front vertex and a back vertex... it's just the way these meshes were designed), the UV map can get very messed up if you do any sort of merging. In those areas, I'd recommend adjusting those vertices on the UV map by hand.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 11:35 PM
Thanks, those are very useful tips especially given that I’m a beginner in meshing, and what I’m doing is mostly the trial and error method For that mesh the duplicate method happened to work fine, the front and back of the dress are separate on the UV map, I made black and white seams on the sides (I’ll adjust their opacity and stuff when I have the texture ready) and nothing crazy happened to them

Simblr
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 7:47 PM
I was going to suggest using Cat's UV data merge. You didn't need to duplicate the group or anything; just select one vertex pair at a time and hit UV data merge.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 9:17 PM
I duplicated it because I didn’t have a pair of vertices, all of those on the edge between the skirt and body part were single ones, and I didn’t want to join them with those above/below the edge to not mess up anything. Maybe there’s a way to somehow split the vertex data without duplicating and removing the part it was duplicated from, but I don’t know it, I still have a lot to learn about meshing

Simblr
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 9:44 PM
Yep - you can split vertices using the Unweld command, which I believe is Ctrl-Shift-W though you'll probably want to check. Then you can merge the UV data, and then weld them back together. (Don't do radial unweld as that 'explodes' the vertex, putting all the separated vertices in different places. Really useful when you need it, but not in this instance)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.