Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 8:36 AM
Default Things You did as a noob when you played this game
The first time I played the sims I had this annoying NPC so I added them to my family. I then put them in the pool and deleted the ladder. Their needs went down and I expected them to die. I was so pissed when they got out of the pool.
I was like: WTH?! How did you get out of the pool?!

I also downloaded some custom content that turned my babies into demons. Needless to say, I never used the exchange again.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 8:48 AM Last edited by babele44 : 17th Apr 2014 at 10:37 AM.
I deleted a Sim using the moveobjects cheat, thinking that by clicking on their thumbnail they would then return fully reset, like they did in Sims 1.
Also I was constantly worried about my Sims' Comfort needs, as this was the thing I most despised in TS1, until I realised that TS3 Sims don't have a Comfort need.
My very first Sim in TS3 also dated an elder without me realising that he was an elder (he looked more like a teenager) and when this date died of old age a few days afterwards I was like WTF.

Now that I think about it there were many more things that in retrospect were odd for me at first:
My first Sim was a Perfectionist and rolled the wish to cook a perfect meal. Well, he never achieved this until his death but I thought that a Perfectionist would naturally cook a perfect meal.
I also had him ask every Sim he met whether they were single, not realising that this would change his gender preference every time and so was more than surprised that he became gay because of that. He must have met more males initially than females and began to roll wishes to kiss these for the first time but never any romantic wishes towards the opposite sex. That confused me quite a bit until I learned about romantic interactions and the gender preference shifts.
And not knowing much about the aging feature (I have never played TS2) I started him as an adult and he died quicker than I expected.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 9:11 AM
Worried about sims in a pool without ladders, yet some pre-made houses had none. I hurried and place a ladder and that sim didn't even use it. I was like, *what kind of voodoo is this?*.

Worried about my sims getting too tired and would fall out on the ground to sleep, depleting their non-existent comfort levels. Like Babele I was looking for it too. My sim just went home on their own, went to bed.

Placing chairs to dining tables would be okay if they snapped in place. Thought they needed the one space around the table or sims couldn't use them. Pleasantly surprised.

Found out that 4x4 tiles rooms wasn't going to work for the least amount of room with a double bed and dresser. Sims can't route around the dresser. Can't use a coffee table as end tables because it blocks the routing to the bed. *That was before I found out that I could move it around with Alt*

While it was cool to visit other sims, your active sim are limited to what is acceptable in a friend's house. My sim got kicked out lots of times and this was before the LTW reward came out to stop it.

Sims with low cooking skills could start a fire BBQ'ing on the back porch. Couldn't get him to use the phone in time so he burned up. No fire alarm on the back porch.

If I don't get the sim to stop a certain action while getting a moodlet with a countdown the sim will die by the end of it. Like swimming and getting the drowning moodlet. They were still swimming so I thought the sim was OK. Nope, they were not. Or the electrocuted sim try to fix a broken electrical objects and get electrocuted again...so long my sim.

Open world, cool! Have my sim take the kid to the beach lot and play with toys, my sim should be able to fish from the ocean while the kid was playing on the beach lot. Nope, need a babysitter. *bummer*

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:09 AM
This was all during my time on the console version of TS3:

When I first had my sim get into a fight with some guy who kept booing him, I didn't understand interactions and was trying to look through the dust cloud to see whether the guy my sim was fighting had a prompt or lightning bolts or something over his head to indicate when he was going to attack.

An inventory bug with my game caused the first car my sim bought to vanish and I thought it had been stolen, so I started dragging vehicles into sim inventories instead of letting them sit on parking spaces.

I used to worry that one of my sims was calling his best friend/would-be girlfriend too much and that he was going to get told to piss off if he called her more than once every few days.

For a while, I didn't realize what traits disliked what things, so I spent a lot of time enthusing about exercise to couch potatoes or trying to discuss TV with technophobes.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:25 PM Last edited by Octopuss : 17th Apr 2014 at 12:40 PM.

i built "pretty" houses
lol
i actually thought it was pretty

(screenshot number 3)
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:35 PM
My sim got an opportunity to write the autobiography of a now retired Thornton Wolff. So he shows up, and has the option for using an irresistible greet. I thought that sounded like a good intro to butter up someone who you're about to convince to share their life story. I learned three things. First, it's a romantic interaction. Second, when Thornton's adult daughter freaked out, that there was this whole jealousy thing going on in the game. And third, Thornton, in his advanced years, was finally willing to explore a side of himself I can only guess he wondered about all that time.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:45 PM
I still remember my first S3 game. I made a pretty girl named Grace and moved her into Mosquito Cove. We had a great time exploring the neighborhood and meeting the neighbors. I eventually realized that none of the men were marriage material for her.... they were all mean, or evil, or nuts. So I decided to add a new family, a YA female and a couple of YA males, with the idea that the new girl would marry one of the guys and Grace would marry the other. Of course it took a while to create them, move them in, and decorate their house. I played them for about 10 minutes or so, to make sure that they seemed to work ok, then switched back to Grace.

Who had a baby.

Whose father was Gobias Kofi.

I checked on my other sims. Tessa also now had a baby.

Whose father was Gobias Kofi.

That sonofabeep worked fast! And frequently! In this first game, Grace, Tessa, Jamie Jolina, River McIrish, Madison VanWatson, Blair Wainwright, Zelda Mae, Kaylynn Langerak and Tori Kimura all had kids fathered by Gobias Kofi. Who could often be found standing on the sidewalk in front of the school..... waiting for his next victim to age up to YA, I guess.
Space Pony
#8 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:51 PM
I wasn't totally n00bish when I started playing TS3 because I had my prior experiences with TS2 to back me up and in fact I actually skipped the "tutorials" for TS3

But back in TS2 days I was very surprised to find out that the developers were very sensitive to the issue of "sexual orientation" sensitivity in that we could commit into a same sex relationship in game with no game rules stopping us, well same sex pregnancies was the only one that hindered it, but that was more of a game limitation that mods did eventually conquer. On other games, even the SIMs ports to consoles, you could not have same sex relationships but with the SIMs computer games you can.
Instructor
#9 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:03 PM
I didn't have too many (Besides the pretty house building omg. my homes were TERRIBLE) but one thing I had was that I couldn't figure out the debug cheats. I kept typing boolprop for everything and nothing was working.
... I figured it out the next day, I swear!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
My very first Sim in TS3 also dated an elder without me realising that he was an elder (he looked more like a teenager) and when this date died of old age a few days afterwards I was like WTF.

How.

Quote: Originally posted by Octopuss
i built "pretty" houses
lol

Hey, don't knock it, it's better than the shit I build!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:10 PM
It was way before I discovered any cheat methods and my sims lived in the cruddiest houses you could ever imagine! I mean when it comes to challenge families, sure I try to not use any money cheats but when it comes to regular households, I can't help myself. I've kind of become addicted to cheats ever since I first discovered them. I don't even think I knew if there were any kinds of cheats when I started playing the game.
Inventor
#12 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:10 PM
Downloading Sims from the exchange....

Never again!

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#13 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:17 PM Last edited by babele44 : 17th Apr 2014 at 7:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL

How.
I think the Sim he dated was Gage Briody and as an elder he still looks very young, just skinnier and with the shaved head you can't see that his hair is grey. Also I did not really zoom in very close, when I would probably have seen the age marks, because I was still trying to find my way around houses and the map. But I remember that I was more amazed that my Sim could date a teenager than realising that Gage was actually only days away from meeting his final sunset.
Space Pony
#14 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Downloading Sims from the exchange....

Never again!

The Exchange scares the crap out of me, that's why even though I badly want LGR's "Duke Nukem" & "Robo Duke" SIMs I didn't download them. I'm still hoping that he'd upload his SIMs here on MTS someday though
Alchemist
#15 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:52 PM
First time I played The Sims was in The Sims 2.
I put a fire alarm in the garden in case of fire.
Inventor
#16 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Octopuss

i built "pretty" houses
lol

(screenshot number 3)

Hehe that reminds me of the first houses I build on Sims 2, I still needed to adept to the sizes I guess.
In Sims 1 you needed at least one free tile around objecst for Sims to even be able to get around them without problems, preferably even more. that didn't translate very well into Sims 2 and I constantly miss-judged room sizes and ended up with huge ugly houses.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Scholar
#17 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 6:27 PM
first time i used this cheat SetImportedTerrainOffset

i didnt realize the number should be small like 1 2 3...i used 25...
the lot went into simmie heaven....
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 7:39 PM
I wanted to build, but I wanted to play more. So I made one two-story, beachy house and copied it to evey vacant lot in Sunset Valley, just to make sure that every sin I made was in a house I made. It started to make me think of the neighborhood in Edward Scissorhands. Eventually I just scrapped, started over, and braved the Single Moms house and converted it to a bachelor pad for my man-whore sim who impregnated most of Sunset Valley.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneeMinx
... for my man-whore sim who impregnated most of Sunset Valley.
Well, congratulations on getting in front of Gobias.
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote:
I deleted a Sim using the moveobjects cheat, thinking that by clicking on their thumbnail they would then return fully reset, like they did in Sims 1.

I completely forgot, but I did the same - either in Sims 2 or in Sims 3, I forget which. I tried that and then found out it... didn't work.

I first attempted to make pretty houses, but then realized it didn't work the way I wanted it to and then decided to not put that much effort into it because as long as they can walk around and live in it, I don't care about the house's prettiness.

Also, when I first played Sims 2, I tried to create a loner Sim woman, but unfortunately she really did not like NOT talking to people so... *sigh*

C-A
Forum Resident
#21 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:42 PM
I took on the challenge of managing really large families with many kids, but after three generations every Sim I talked to was some sort of cousin our aunt or nephew or brother in law or whatnot. I realized that my actives must have been somehow related to about 80% of Sunset Valley. Since the situation was likely to worsen rather than improve (if I didn't take harsh measurements) I started a new game, this time better informed about what birth control features Nraas had to offer.

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 7:34 PM
On my first family I had my sim self knocked up by a guy I created when they had less than 500 in the funding. No skill learning for jobs, just becoming from acquaintances to married expecting parents in one day...
#23 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Consort
I took on the challenge of managing really large families with many kids, but after three generations every Sim I talked to was some sort of cousin our aunt or nephew or brother in law or whatnot. I realized that my actives must have been somehow related to about 80% of Sunset Valley. Since the situation was likely to worsen rather than improve (if I didn't take harsh measurements) I started a new game, this time better informed about what birth control features Nraas had to offer.

I did the same thing! Now I have to do something to fix the situation. There's going to be a bunch of suspicious drownings in Sunset Valley.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 9:48 PM
I set fire to my self sim's beautiful cabin in the woods multiple times. (The secluded lot by the waterfall in Sunset Valley.) I learned that birthday cakes, bbq's, and fireplaces were just as dangerous as stoves. Also, I learned that if my self sim put out the fire herself, she would get fined by the fireperson who turned up. I began to feel much contempt and hatred for the fire department.

I was also under the impression that the male maid hated my self sim's paintings. He would always point and laugh while she was painting on her back deck. It kind of peeved me off. I thought her paintings were quite nice. Now, years later, I now know why. It wasn't her art he was ridiculing...it was the fact that she was in her pajamas most of the time. (Now I have a mod from Shimrod that stops that crap.)

I used to follow the maids around the house in case they stole something. I knew that the kleptomaniac trait existed in game, and I wasn't about to let a maid steal my sim's stuff.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 10:16 PM
I created a Married couple in CAS and built them a small house. Then, I had them have a child, then right after a second child. I quit playing with that couple for, like, a month because their screaming toddlers gave me headaches!
Then I created a single Sim, Pasta Baker, and had her live in Bridgeport. She got a boyfriend, had a sleepover, and a couple Sim hours after he left in the morning he was an Elder! Something sad about that is he still had feelings for her after she got married (to a younger guy, btw) and had four kids. Surprisingly, he's yet to die of old age, with Pasta's oldest child being a teen and she's level 10 in the Music career.
Page 1 of 3