Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 8:04 AM
Default The Evils of CFE Domes
So, with The Martian coming to theaters in a little over a month, I've been working on the Mars-colony-based challenge that I'd started I while back, and without boring you with all the details, one of the things I want is to have a few very basic shell lots for people to use if they want. Mars being the place it is, the most practical large-scale structure is a dome, so I've been working on several huge CFE domes to have other buildings constructed within them (like the ones in my Galileo Station upload).

Trouble is, the CFE work on domes seems randomly temperamental... sometimes it'll let me build a structure within the dome, no problem (as in my Galileo Station lot), but other times, like with some (but not all) of the mostly-empty domes I'm working on, trying to make a structure within them results in huge distortions to the CFE dome overhead. All the domes use the same method of construction (1-unit wide octagonal foundation, then a 4-click CFE dummy level [or two], then a "floor" onto which I place the grid of railings and fences that eventually form the dome. CFE cheat back on, I sculpt the terrain within the foundation into the shape I want, CFE off, flatten the terrain out underneath, leaving the dome intact [hopefully] then erase the "floor" from the highest level, leaving just the latticework of railings as a "transparent" dome.) so I can't see why the effect should be so dramatically different with some than with others. I don't think my internet can handle uploading pics at the moment, but if anyone has an idea that needs to see what I'm talking about, I should be able to post some tomorrow (or you can look at my Galileo Station lot- the larger dome works properly, but the smaller dome falls victim to this issue too- that's why it's mostly empty.)

(also maybe worth noting- the distortions seem far less likely to occur [though they'll still happen] if I leave the "floor" on the surface of the dome for as long as possible...)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.