Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 7:00 PM
Default Which Tutorial is Best For This Project?
Hello everyone. I am a complete beginner to object creating, in fact I've never really wanted to do it before now because it's just so intimating to me. However I want the nursery set that came with Sims 2 Free Time, it's some of my favorite Sims content of all time, but no one has converted it before! After being stunned by that revelation I decided to cowboy up and just try to do it myself. Sadly though, there are so many tutorials that it's making my head spin.

Since this project should be fairly easy in theory, there shouldn't be any objects that don't have more or less exact matches in Sims 3 I can use for cloning, I really just need a straight forward tutorial. Something that focuses on taking Maxis objects from one game to the next. So my question is just as the title says, which tutorial is the best for this project?

Additional info:
I do not yet have any programs downloaded. I should be able to get anything needed, even if it's just for a free trial.
I have access to all of the Sims 3 and have the Sims 2 Complete Collection through Origin. I also have some Sims 3 store content.
I am, sadly, working on a laptop, though it is new. It runs Windows 8.1.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 5:02 AM
You want to convert objects that Sims will have to interact with, not just some random clutter that Sims may only occasionally glance at. It’s not that easy at first imo. I don’t think there’s any detailed, beginner tutorial detailing how to convert a crib for example, but generally, for extracting the TS2 meshes you can read this (It's not exactly the same, as you'll have to have TS2 installed and extract the meshes via Object Creation - if you don't have TS2 installed let me know and I'll send you the original meshes!)

(You might have problems with the textures. TS2 textures are sometimes ridiculously small, e.g 128x128 – while in TS3 1024x1024 would look much better. So you might have to work with a image editing software and/or a program that resizes images with minimal quality loss.)

(The second issue you may encounter with textures is detailed in a reply of the tutorial I linked above, just for future reference.)

But let’s get back to the fact that Sims will have to interact with the objects you are planning to convert – for example the crib. If you want it to work really really properly (and animate), you will have to learn how to assign joints.

Other things you will have to familiarise yourself with are slots, and how to work with channels if you want to make your conversions CAST-able.

This was all a very superficial explanation, but if it wasn’t too terrifying and you are willing, I don’t have any problem in trying to walk you through.

I have converted a ridiculous amount of objects from TS2 > TS3, including TS2 EA content. I haven’t converted many cribs, I think only one or two, but I am very familiar with assigning joints and it's honestly quite fun. So if you're willing to give it a whirl, let me know and I'll try my best to make it as easy and enjoyable as possible for you

(And I very rudely assumed you would work with TSRW. I'm not very familiar with S3PE/S3OC, but other users here are, anyway, and they might be able to help you out in that case.)

This tutorial might also be helpful later on. These too - It's hard to get non-TSRW tutorials, sorry.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celesity_Darkflame
Hello everyone. I am a complete beginner to object creating, in fact I've never really wanted to do it before now because it's just so intimating to me. However I want the nursery set that came with Sims 2 Free Time, it's some of my favorite Sims content of all time, but no one has converted it before! After being stunned by that revelation I decided to cowboy up and just try to do it myself. Sadly though, there are so many tutorials that it's making my head spin.

Since this project should be fairly easy in theory, there shouldn't be any objects that don't have more or less exact matches in Sims 3 I can use for cloning, I really just need a straight forward tutorial. Something that focuses on taking Maxis objects from one game to the next. So my question is just as the title says, which tutorial is the best for this project?

Additional info:
I do not yet have any programs downloaded. I should be able to get anything needed, even if it's just for a free trial.
I have access to all of the Sims 3 and have the Sims 2 Complete Collection through Origin. I also have some Sims 3 store content.
I am, sadly, working on a laptop, though it is new. It runs Windows 8.1.

This is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. I did some conversions using this tutorial: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ersion_Tutorial

It actually wasn't that hard, and at the time, I was a huge noob. Now I'm a medium-sized noob, lol. Point is, it's do-able. The hardest part was dealing with the textures. I spent a lot of time with Photoshop - like, two or three days working for hours. Everything else went pretty fast.