Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 7:18 AM
Right, I had a little play last night.. I came across a couple of wierd things. Basically, I have a female elder who's about 5/7 in the job ladder, and a male elder who's only about 3 up. I then got a teen to join the job too. All of these are on the demon one because the angel wasn't available at the time. Anyhow, The teen went to work the same time as the elder. The teen went off fine, but when it came to the elder, it said he needed to go to work, but the carpool went for the teen, and never came for him, and he didn't own a car at that point. So, I couldn't get him to work because the cars I owned wouldn't let me. As far as I am aware, he never got a notice saying that he hadn't missed work and his work level thing didn't go down.

With my female sim, she's fine, but she was fine since the last update for some reason.

I just have a couple of things about it. Chance cards for teens, are they not written? I got the game error one with "Clicky Clicky" =P And also my teen, he was starving when he left and when he came home he had full hunger but still the need for food.. He wanted lobster or whatever. Is that normal? I've never noticed it before. And again with the teen, their work starts at 1, but this is when they directly get off the bus. [I don't know if this applies to my particular teen, he doesn't go to school because I have Insimenator]. So, if it applies to all, maybe you could change it so teens have time to get their fun or whatever up?

I only played for about half hour last night, and my games so slow it's unreal xP I have a day off school tomorrow, so I can try out the angel careers and see if I get any of this stuff again. I hope this helps o.o

Garden of Shadows; for your goth side.
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vicci
Right, I had a little play last night.. I came across a couple of wierd things. Basically, I have a female elder who's about 5/7 in the job ladder, and a male elder who's only about 3 up. I then got a teen to join the job too. All of these are on the demon one because the angel wasn't available at the time. Anyhow, The teen went to work the same time as the elder. The teen went off fine, but when it came to the elder, it said he needed to go to work, but the carpool went for the teen, and never came for him, and he didn't own a car at that point. So, I couldn't get him to work because the cars I owned wouldn't let me. As far as I am aware, he never got a notice saying that he hadn't missed work and his work level thing didn't go down.

With my female sim, she's fine, but she was fine since the last update for some reason.

I just have a couple of things about it. Chance cards for teens, are they not written? I got the game error one with "Clicky Clicky" =P And also my teen, he was starving when he left and when he came home he had full hunger but still the need for food.. He wanted lobster or whatever. Is that normal? I've never noticed it before. And again with the teen, their work starts at 1, but this is when they directly get off the bus. [I don't know if this applies to my particular teen, he doesn't go to school because I have Insimenator]. So, if it applies to all, maybe you could change it so teens have time to get their fun or whatever up?

I only played for about half hour last night, and my games so slow it's unreal xP I have a day off school tomorrow, so I can try out the angel careers and see if I get any of this stuff again. I hope this helps o.o

Wow. Okay, let's see...

First off, these are adult careers. I haven't made teen/elder versions, and I have no idea what sorts of peculiarities you'd get putting teen or elders in adult careers in general. I didn't even think it was possible (unless you're using a mod that allows it?) I've had a few requests for teen versions, so I may try those once I know I've ironed out the bugs in these, but in the meantime I'd recommend sticking with adult Sims. (Which, y'know, does sort of make sense, since angels and demons are created, not born, and are immortal...)

I *have* seen some reports of weird behavior when buses, carpool cars and drivable Nightlife cars have arrived and/or departed at the same time, so that may be a larger issue that isn't confined to these careers. If I learn anything more about it, I'll let everyone know and see what can be done to minimize problems.

The hunger thing could have to do with the career's motive deltas, but I don't know why he'd still be hungry if his meter was full. I'll double check the deltas to make sure I didn't put in some weird number by mistake.

As always, your help is very much appreciated. I'd be very grateful if you would play a little more when you have a chance, and let me know whether you find any further issues. Also I'd be greatly in your debt if you could maybe try it with one adult, since that's the age group the careers are really supposed to be for?
Field Researcher
#53 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 3:02 PM Last edited by Vicci : 26th Jan 2006 at 3:04 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense x]
Right-o. I play an adult angel and devil. I got to the Angel Throne one, and and my sim got messages when he didn't need to go to work on Thursdays, Saturdays and Tuesdays. On Wednesday, he didn't go to work [he DID have work on that day] and got no message or nothing.

My devil got up to Legionnaire, and gets messages when she didn't go to work on Sundays, Mondays and Wedesdays, when she wasn't supposed too.. The Wednesdays one may have been when she got a promo, I'm not sure.

I've heard this before too, but some randomer keeps nicking my paper. I'm not enermies with anyone because I only know two people because I have been raising my three toddlers. Wew, what a challenge.

Anyway, considering you re-built the whole career, maybe it's something to do with the days which you built the careers from? Because if he didn't get a message when he didn't go on Wednesday, on the Business/Athletics career, they didn't need to go in on a Wednesday, so it affected the Angel career in that way, and vice versa when they don't need to go in? I have no idea on careers, but it's just a thought.

Instructor
#54 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 6:58 PM
Right-o. I play an adult angel and devil. I got to the Angel Throne one, and and my sim got messages when he didn't need to go to work on Thursdays, Saturdays and Tuesdays. On Wednesday, he didn't go to work [he DID have work on that day] and got no message or nothing.

My devil got up to Legionnaire, and gets messages when she didn't go to work on Sundays, Mondays and Wedesdays, when she wasn't supposed too.. The Wednesdays one may have been when she got a promo, I'm not sure.

I've heard this before too, but some randomer keeps nicking my paper. I'm not enermies with anyone because I only know two people because I have been raising my three toddlers. Wew, what a challenge.

Anyway, considering you re-built the whole career, maybe it's something to do with the days which you built the careers from? Because if he didn't get a message when he didn't go on Wednesday, on the Business/Athletics career, they didn't need to go in on a Wednesday, so it affected the Angel career in that way, and vice versa when they don't need to go in? I have no idea on careers, but it's just a thought.

*Headdesks* It's got to have something to do with changing the career's work days, then. There was absolutely no code imported from the original versions of these careers, and I used a different version of SimPE. I just wish I knew why it only seems to affect certain people! And why I've only heard it reported with one other custom career!

I'll see whether I can shuffle the days worked around to match the base career's a little more closely. Perhaps that'll at least reduce how frequently the message comes up...

Thanks for keeping me informed!
Field Researcher
#55 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 7:14 AM
Do you have to build them from the base careers? Maybe if you got permission from someone else you could build it from theirs and see what happens? But then again, rebuilding it again would take a while.. Well, I have no idea. I only have a couple of tips. Get your female Sim to have loads of children then you can save up some of the days off. x]

I've noticed as well, that with this one, after the baby is born the female isn't required to go to work, and nothing comes up for her and she still gets paid. Whereas on the older one, you still needed to go to work even if it was an hour after the baby came, so somethings improved ^_^

Instructor
#56 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 10:04 AM
Do you have to build them from the base careers? Maybe if you got permission from someone else you could build it from theirs and see what happens? But then again, rebuilding it again would take a while.. Well, I have no idea. I only have a couple of tips. Get your female Sim to have loads of children then you can save up some of the days off. x]

I've noticed as well, that with this one, after the baby is born the female isn't required to go to work, and nothing comes up for her and she still gets paid. Whereas on the older one, you still needed to go to work even if it was an hour after the baby came, so somethings improved ^_^

That's a thought, Vicci, and I may try it if nothing else suggests itself. As for the baby thing, I can't take credit for it--it's probably a Maxis change to how the careers work between TS2 and Uni. But I'm glad it works better now, it means updating them wasn't totally useless!

One other thought did occur to me: I just recently learned that with some hacks, the name of the .package file (and the subfolder it's in, if any) can affect whether it works correctly with other installed content because the game loads everything in alphabetical order. I wonder whether just renaming the files would have any effect? O_o
Field Researcher
#57 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmberDiceless
One other thought did occur to me: I just recently learned that with some hacks, the name of the .package file (and the subfolder it's in, if any) can affect whether it works correctly with other installed content because the game loads everything in alphabetical order. I wonder whether just renaming the files would have any effect? O_o

Well, surely it's worth a try. If you tell me how to, maybe I can test it?

Instructor
#58 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 7:24 AM
Well, surely it's worth a try. If you tell me how to, maybe I can test it?

Pretty easy. Go to whatever folder you've got your downloaded content in and find the career files, right-click each one, select "Rename," and add three brackets ([[[) to the beginning of the filename. This should make the careers load before any other custom content. Try running the game, and if it seems to make no difference, exit, go back and rename them again, only this time replace the brackets with z's (making them load last.)

If you're using subfolders in Downloads, you might also try putting them in their own subfolder with a name starting with [[[ or zzz, since this will make everything in that subfolder load before or after everything else. (If you don't know, you can right-click in the Downloads folder window, select New, and choose Folder.)

Let me know if this seems to make any difference! We have had one report of someone fixing the problem by putting the careers in subfolders, but it didn't seem to work for anyone else and I don't think it occurred to anyone that the name might be the reason...

(Edit: I appreciate your trying this out for me. I'd try it myself, but I've never had this glitch happen in my game, so I wouldn't know whether it had any effect or not. ><)
Field Researcher
#59 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 9:34 PM
Mmm.. I put my games in sub folders a while ago to see if it made any difference, and sadly it didn't. But I shall try out this method anyway, it's a great career, shame it's all glitched. And I wonder why it only happens for some peoples. Do you have any mods in your game? I know I have InSiminator.. I wonder if it's anything to do with mods or whatever. I'll get back to you in the next couple of days. [I can't get online every day so yeah.]

Instructor
#60 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 10:40 PM
Mmm.. I put my games in sub folders a while ago to see if it made any difference, and sadly it didn't. But I shall try out this method anyway, it's a great career, shame it's all glitched. And I wonder why it only happens for some peoples.

I'm increasingly leaning toward it being some kind of flaw or limitation in the game or in SimPE or the Career Editor or even in the basic computer language the game is built on. A somewhat similar glitch (now patched by JM Pescado) has been causing certain Maxis careers to get the same kind of message if a work day starts in one day and ends in the next since the base game came out, and Pescado says it's not a problem with The Sims 2 but with a problem in the underlying coding. This could be something similar.

As far as why it only affects certain people, I've heard other modders say that this is pretty typical of this sort of thing. Everybody's system and how they have it set up is a little bit different, and what works perfectly in one person's game may not work in someone else's.

Quote:
Do you have any mods in your game? I know I have InSiminator..

*Laughs hysterically* Um, only about 200, double that if you include standalone hacked objects. XD I use InTeenimator, a bazillion little bug fixes and annoyance zappers, and a few out-and-out cheats. (I do have the InSiminator also, but only the OBJ edition.) The only one I can think of that has anything to do with careers is the one that nixes the friends requirement for promotion (and now that I'm looking at the list, I see I do also have one that allows teens and elders to use adult careers. Go figure.) But I'm pretty sure I took out all my downloads at one point when I was testing the original versions of these careers, and they still worked fine for me. Maybe I should try it again just to be sure, though.
Field Researcher
#61 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 2:06 PM
Right, I tried with editing the name. Unfortunatly, it has no effect. The later levels of the career seem to be fine, one of my sims is at Duke and it works fine for her, and it has done for Duke and the level below. I tried a new couple on angel and devil, and this is when the notice comes up again. Surely it is just a flaw because it only works for some of us. Unless it's to do with computer settings or something.

Test Subject
#62 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 9:08 AM
i was just wondering, by any chance does it have anything to do with how they are installing it? [ie: from the .rar or with Q-Xpress]
that's the only idea i have... XD good luck with this glitch!
Test Subject
#63 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 7:05 PM
These are the only jobs I know of with only 1 hour of work, wondering if that might have anything to do with it,
It just seems to me that the missed days off message is going out before it checks to see if it is a day off.

maby increasing the time by one or two hours would fix it. that shouldn't be all that much work...
Page 3 of 3