Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 1:12 AM Last edited by pappy02us : 10th Mar 2010 at 1:24 AM.
proof of concept project
I am new to meshes and texture for the Sims 3. I am trying too see if you can have multi layer clothing like a wrap over a bathing suit. So I started by using in game meshes before I really got into the work of starting from scratch. What I have done so far is I used the short skirt and have been trying to get a different color for the legs under it. Well I have been like 99% successful. I have combined a legs mesh with the skirt with Milkshape, textured both sides of the skirt, remapped the UV map to get the recolor-able layers on the legs and skirt, edited the mask and multiplier, imported into TSR workshop and exported it to a .sims3pack. I then converted it to a .package file with Multi-installer, I did this for easier removal of older/bad versions. And this is where I am stuck the game will start and run fine but it crashes to the desktop when I try to put it on a sim. I can open the CAS and select all categories except bottoms where it is. So now my question is can the game even do multi-layered clothing and I messed something up or did I just waste my time.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 1:30 PM
Yes, you can make multilayered meshes.
If you add a layer to the base GEOMmesh(lod1) make sure you do the same for its morphs.(then do the whole story again for the lod2 and 3 GEOMS)
When you have added a layer to the basemesh and its morphs you need to renumber the vertID's and build new Bgeo files for it.
Here is some info you might need: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=392850
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 6:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was going back over my project and I found something I think might be the problem. Are bones important and would the lack of them cause the CTD? Cause the versions after I edited the UV map don't have any. I guess in my problem might be that when I exported as an.obj to edit the UV map in uvmapper classic and returned it to Milkshape I lost the bones.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 9:36 PM
The game crashes when there is no skeleton.
Best is to start over, reassigning bones is a pain!
However, if you have a earlier save(before the uvmap edit) you might be able to repair the mesh with Wes his objx importer/exporter
The morphs do not need boneassignements, only the lod 1 GEOM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 9:37 PM
OK new problem new post. I got the bones back ,used a different uv mapper, and now it doesn't crash anymore. I can put it on a sim and that is where the problem is now. The sim's lower half dissappers and the colorable layer appear on the upper half of the sim. I will continue to work on it but if anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 9:39 PM
well, i do need a bit more info on wat it is your trying to achieve and wat you did sofar.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 10:10 PM Last edited by pappy02us : 10th Mar 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Well, I used lithUnwrap to remap the uv on an earlier version. To my surprise it has a direct loader for .ms3d file. when I put it back into Milkshape to export it to a .wso for TSR workshop it looked fine. When I put it in the TRS workshop it looked fine. But when I put it in the game it looks like this:
Thank you Base1980 for your help
This is basically what I am trying to get at right now.

a bikini bottom under what will hopefully be a semi transparent wrap. colors correspond to mask colors white=blue
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 11:30 PM
Oh, i dont have much experience with TSRW and its plugins for Milkshape so im afraid i cant tell you why the mesh isn't showing up.
I do can tell you that uvmapping is a pain with sims 3, not the mapping itself but finding a free spot for your skirt on the map itself...
For some stupid reason textures from tops/bottoms and shoes can not interfear with eachother.
When i created the modded frenchmaid outfit i mapped the lower part of the dress on the right bottom corner, even had to scale it down and flipped it 90degrees to make it all work.

Making the skirt transparant aint possible.
No one has found the correct procedure to do so yet(and believe me, i tried)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 7:11 AM
Oh, well thank you for all your help. The layers appearing on the upper part of the body was because I moved the UV map right above the bottoms map. I had no idea about textures interfering with each other. I still can't see the lower part of the body but I may at least have it mapped correctly. Maybe I'll try over at TSR.

Thanks again Base1980.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:12 PM
The only thing i can think of that it is missing its boneassignements or missing the links to the mesh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Mar 2010 at 7:33 PM
I did some troubleshooting and found that the meshes after the UV mapping is the problem. I think I may have screwed something up in Lithunwrap or its not compatible, I leaning towards me screwing up.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 12:49 AM
I never use a external uvmapper anymore, i had so much frustration with it on sims 2 meshes....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 8:46 PM
OK so I used the milkshape UV mapper and I got it to work. But now there is a new problem.

I not sure what I did to cause this but will go back and try to adjusted something. I only get this problem with skin tight or tucked in shirts.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 9:19 PM
The bottom textures are overruling the top ones, i normally have it the otherway arround.
Check the partmask texture, other then that i wouldn't know.