Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 12:42 PM Last edited by whiterider : 23rd Jun 2011 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Fixing link
Default Tutorial: Creating/Editing RGB Masks
Oh yes, I've done it again!

I've noticed a lot of questions about masks and color regions, so I made a tutorial for it. It's just basic editing, nothing fancy like semi-transparency, etc...

I did look for an already preexisting tutorial on masks and didn't find one, but if there is already one out there then "oopsies!", I'll take mine down. But I seriously will bang my head with the keyboard if I did all this typing for nothing.

Anyhoos! Here it is:
Sims 3:Basic Mask Editingwiki

Tips/editing is seriously encouraged

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
6 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 11:40 PM
So I tried making a mask because I'm attempting to make someone famous (not recognizable in this picture, obviously) and I want to make him look a little more alike.

I followed all the steps in the tutorial and saved it, put it in my game, and it turns out like this:

Can you think of anything I did wrong or forgot? Thanks in advance.
Scholar
#3 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 1:21 PM
RGB mask editing is to make recolorable areas. It doesn't look like as the face should be recolorable, but as I don't know, what you want to do, I can't help very much.

If you don't want to make it recolorable, maybe select white as the color in CAS?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 1:34 PM
Yes, try setting all three colours to white in Create a Style and see if your mask then looks like it was supposed to look?
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 10:36 PM
Default Can't get it to work yet
I did the tutorial, and I'm not sure where to save the package file to so the game will show me what I made
Also on part 2, step 3 I'm not sure about because I'm not using Photoshop and can't see the color channels, I'm using Gimp and Paint.net(i got photoshop compatible dll for it)
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by greenfalcon44
I did the tutorial, and I'm not sure where to save the package file to so the game will show me what I made.

You can always plug everything back into the CTU to preview what you have
Anyhoos all packages should go into your mods folder that you either made manually or was created using the Package Install Helper Monkey.

Read this for more info:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...3_Package_Files

Quote: Originally posted by greenfalcon44
Also on part 2, step 3 I'm not sure about because I'm not using Photoshop and can't see the color channels, I'm using Gimp and Paint.net

As for Gimp and Paint.NET...I'm at a complete loss. I assume if you color the image correctly then you should be fine

-daluved1 is a diehard Photoshop user-

Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 11:04 PM
thanks!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 6:39 PM
Hm, that doesn't work, but I think I will make a topic on it because I've seen several people make masks for celeb-Sims, so maybe they can help. Thanks though!
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 1:27 AM
When I am using Photoshop Cs4 and I get to the part about saving the image as a D3D/DDS file, it brings up the dds format window, and I set it to DX1 RGB 4bp | no alpha, and to generate MIP maps, I click save and it says "alpha information will be lost", the shirt in the game looks like a red person with some yellow on the child's stomach. What did I do wrong? Also in the step where you save hide the background and flatten the image, am I supposed to undo checking the channels
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 1:38 AM
Never mind that I figured it out. Part III step five i made the mistake of replacing the overlay instead of the mask
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 1:00 AM
Hi,
I got stuck trying to create a 4-channel mask. I really can't figure out how it should be done so I hope you can help me. Here's the problem: if I want to make a fourth color region via alpha channel what I get is only alpha part showing up and the rest becomes invisible. I'm putting the pictures up so you can see what it looks like. Hope this is clear enough. Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 1:26 AM
Hm....can you PM me Shady? I think I need to actually see the files to understand.

Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 1:41 AM
Ok here are the files. Thanks for the help!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  skirtabovenee_4channelmask.rar (117.6 KB, 54 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  skirtabovenee4channelsmask-dds.rar (2.8 KB, 36 downloads) - View custom content
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 2:32 AM
Default Oooh Shady Lane :D
Okay, DXT1|1 bit Alpha is acting really strange for me, so I exported it as a DXT5|interpolated and the mask works now...with the exception of that damn fourth channell. I just can't get it to work. I mean, CTU recognized it, but it just won't show it in the 3d preview. Idk, it may be a bug.

Anyhoos, try my test skirt and see if the game automagically enables the 4th region.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  shadylanetest.rar (19.6 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 2:38 AM
Alrighty, going to test it in game now and let you know asap.
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 3:01 AM Last edited by Shady Lane : 22nd Oct 2009 at 3:13 AM.
Ok, CAS acts same as CTU not recognizing the alpha and it's impossible to change colours etc (If I want to enter create-a-style for the particular skirt it just loads forever). Once accepted (in game)though the 4th channel appears in white colour.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:07 AM
Hmm, so it does work in CAs, but it shows up in white? Or it doesn't work at all?

Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 11:44 AM Last edited by Shady Lane : 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:39 PM.
It doesnt work in CAS at all.
So in wardrobe, when I click on the skirt, the preview looks exactly like in CTU - there are 3 regions, no alpha. If I try to enter create-a-style for it (to change the colors/patterns) it gets stuck loading, so I have to exit to main manu or otherwise restart the game.
It was only when I accepted a sim with the the skirt on anyway (without attempting to enter create-a-style) and left the wardrobe, that the game showed the alpha part in white.
Hope it makes more sense now
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 3:14 AM
I cant get the DDS pluginto intstall. I tried both sources buti got an error everytime. plz help?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 8:50 AM
I get the distinct impression that some people reading this thread think it is about making facemasks for sims! The RGB mask is nothing to do with facemasks for CAS, it's to do with making textures and patterns for objects or anything.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 7:08 AM
Um... could you please suggest a meshing tool?
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 4:28 PM
i hate being the guy asking dumb questions but.
the tutorial i read said to download a couple plugins. and a couple cas texture tools. but i cant find anything telling me where i install these things. the plugin keeps saying please indicate the base photoshop directory to use. is that just the basic folder that has all the photoshop stuff in it or is it one of the folders inside of there?
and when i unzip the texture rar thinking its going to unzip a link to install it, it instead unzips all the files onto my desktop which i once again dont know where to install?

thank you.
Test Subject
#23 Old 25th May 2012 at 1:53 AM
Is there any way I can do this in Photoshop Elements, without a Channels tab of any kind?
Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 2:15 AM
Default Probably a stupid question - about human models on Blender
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Oh yes, I've done it again!

I've noticed a lot of questions about masks and color regions, so I made a tutorial for it. It's just basic editing, nothing fancy like semi-transparency, etc...

I did look for an already preexisting tutorial on masks and didn't find one, but if there is already one out there then "oopsies!", I'll take mine down. But I seriously will bang my head with the keyboard if I did all this typing for nothing.

Anyhoos! Here it is:
Sims 3:Basic Mask Editingwiki

Tips/editing is seriously encouraged

Hello! Before anything, I wanted to warn you that possibly this question
can be stupid.
Well, I'm starting to create clothes and objects for The Sims 3, and I got a doupt, before moving on with the post - the programs that I'm using are Blender, Photoshop CS4 and Gimp (and also TSR Workshop).

So, when I creating a new Mesh, lets say, a dress, in Blender, I will have to use a Female Mesh to model it with the right body measures, but when saving the Cloth Mesh do I have to remove the Female Body Mesh and save, or I save all of it together?

Another question is, can I use blender to model meshes or I'm forced to use another program?
I'm try'ng to create new meshes in a way to avoid using meshes from other people and since none of the meshes is actually with the stylle I wish for so, even if that is a lot of work for one person I don't care, i just need help with that questions.

Thank you
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 12:02 PM Last edited by Kathleen_Anne : 10th Jan 2013 at 1:04 AM.
Hi, I'm following this tutorial in GIMP. The tutorial says no load mipmaps. Well, I get no option popping up and my image looks just as it shoud, but when I gointo layers I see stacks of layers, each one forming a mipmap so when I selevt to view all the layers it looks like the picture shown as bad in the tutorial.
Does any one know how to open the image in Gimp correctly?
Thanks!

ETA: I tried just deleting the layers and just did a real quick mask to check and all went well until part three step 5 wen I was replacing the texture in cas and I got this error

ETA2
Ok, I tried again and got further.

When I took it into the game this is what I got:

I attempted to add three channels, one for the skirt itself, one for along the bottom of the skirt and one for along the top waist band. I first edited the texture to smooth out the texture on the pockets (yes, I know this won't make them go away completley, I was just looking for something to practice cloning/smudging textures on, this is just a practice skirt)

You can see where the channel of the skirt itself goes when I select it

All over the body and down the legs. The skirt was my red mask, I'm guessing it has something to do with that and flood filling that layer? Also the obvious... this isn't the most modest of skirts, that wasn't intentionl either! Not quite sure what's going on there!

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Page 1 of 2