Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 12:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Generations, Pets
Default TS3 is using my graphics card, but my DeviceConfig file says it is not?
My problem: I have spent all afternoon trying to get my game to recognize my graphics card. After many different attempts, I believe I have succeeded. When I launch The Sims 3, my NVIDIA Activity Icon says that TS3 is using the card. However, when I open my DeviceConfig file, it says it is not ([Found: 0, Matched: 0]).

Here are my specs:
System Information:
Time of this report: 9/15/2016, 18:18:42
Machine name: LAPTOPOFEMMA
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_inmarket.160222-1549)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire E5-575G
BIOS: V1.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8066MB RAM
Page File: 3666MB used, 6319MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

Display Devices:
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_10941025&REV_07
Display Memory: 4160 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 4032 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN15D2
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.008Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32
Driver File Version: 20.19.0015.4390 (English)
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4390
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.0
Graphics Preemption: Triangle
Compute Preemption: Thread
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Sound Devices:
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0255&SUBSYS_10251094&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.7773 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives:
Drive: C:
Free Space: 195.2 GB
Total Space: 243.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3256GG2
Drive: F:
Free Space: 0.1 GB
Total Space: 0.1 GB
File System: FAT32
Model: KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3256GG2

Here's what my DeviceConfig file says (or at least some of it, I don't want to post the entire thing here unless it is completely necessary):
Application info:
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2400 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2800 RAM: 8065 Adjusted RAM: 7553 Cores: 2

Machine info:
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Family: 6
Model: 14
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 0
Memory: 8065MB
Free memory: 5534MB
User: nosna
Computer: LAPTOPOFEMMA
Graphics device info:
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce 940MX [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 179c, Board: 10941025, Chipset: 00a2
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 21.21.13.6909, GUID: D7B71E3E-54DC-11CF-6869-993018C2D835
Driver version: 6909
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

I hope I didn't provide too much information. If someone could please explain why NVIDIA says TS3 is using it, while TS3 says it is not, that would be awesome.
Thanks so much and have a great day!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:01 AM Last edited by igazor : 16th Sep 2016 at 10:03 AM.
Hi there. We were at least part way through getting these things resolved with you at NRaas and instead you left that thread and started one over here? I'm a bit confused because I thought we were making progress back there.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/share/view/79454272

You have dual graphics, the top part of that dxdiag shows your Intel chip but the Nivida dedicated card would have shown up in a later section. "Found 0, Matched 0" doesn't mean the game isn't using your Nvidia card. It means that it can't find that card's profile in its database (if you can call it that) because the card is newer than the last substantial game patch which is coming up on three years ago now. The easiest procedure to follow to force recognition is to "borrow" an existing card profile from GraphicsCards.sgr and use that for your 940MX instead. Not sure going through this is going to make any significant difference in game performance on that card, though. There are also instructions on how to fix the 32 MB Texture Memory override that you have, but again you may not see much of a performance difference after doing so, all of this on the link that @Nitromon just provided.

I will back away for now since you have chosen to continue support over here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:49 PM
Hi Igazor,

I'm sorry that I created a new thread. Since we last spoke, I have reset my computer entirely, and reinstalled all my games, which left me with new questions. Because of that, I thought it best, since you stated in my previous thread that "the major focus of this wiki is mod support, not hardware" and I had a new and different questions, that I start a thread over here. I never meant to cause any confusion.

If I understand what you're saying, my game /is/ using my NVIDIA card. But the reason why my DeviceConfig file says it is not, is because TS3 graphics card "database" of sorts, does not recognize it due to it being a newer card.

However, I would like (if possible) for my DeviceConfig file to recognize my card, if for nothing else but peace of mind. I have tried to follow the instructions in the link given by Nitromon, but I am thoroughly confused. I have some questions. (If you cannot provide answers to these questions, I totally understand. If you can, awesome. If you can't, should I create a new thread asking all of these questions, and is there somewhere specific I should post them?) Here are my questions:

1. In the instructions, it says to change the line "card 0x0fd1 "GeForce GT 650M". Am I still changing this line, and providing my card's device number, or am I changing a different line, since my card is a GeForce 940MX?
2. I read somewhere (I did a lot of forum reading yesterday, and cannot remember exactly where I read this) that since I have dual graphics, I need to create a line for my Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 card. Is this true, or since I want my game to only use my NVIDIA card, can I ignore this?
3. I would also like to fix the "32 Texture Memory override" I have, even if it won't make any substantial performance difference. Am I going to change the "seti textureMemory" to 1024, or is there a different setting I should change it to, since my computer is different from the OP's?
4. In my reading yesterday, I read forums that suggest one should use an FPS Limiter, in order to not have your card burn out. I'm sure you remember, in my previous thread, you told me to check the FPS in my game. I reported back that my FPS went well above 100. My question is: Do I want to install one of these FPS limiters? Is it completely necessary? And is there any way to do it directly through NVIDIA?

Thank you so much for all your help on my previous thread, as well as this one. I'm sorry to have caused any confusion, I'm still new to any and all forums, please forgive me.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 5:24 PM Last edited by igazor : 16th Sep 2016 at 6:11 PM.
It's only that it would have been potentially less confusing if you had told us what you were doing. I came across this thread here randomly.

1 - I would suggest using the line just below it for the GT 640M for your card. But it will probably work out the same either way.
2 - I don't see why you would need to do this.
3 - That step should be exactly the same as in the example given.
4 - We always recommend trying to get that capped using Nvidia Control Panel first, then if that doesn't work, Nvidia Inspector (download probably required). I was suspecting that your use of the GeForce Experience program was interfering with your initial attempt with the Control Panel but try Inspector to see if that works out better.

On 4, there are of course other methods to cap fps but I will defer to the others here for recommendations should those be needed.
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:39 PM
To supports Igazor's # 2 answer;

You don't need to add or create line for your Intel HD 520 as it won't work that way with the GraphicCards.sgr you're editing, what you need to do is to make sure that your Win 10 recognized both of your Intel HD 520 and GeForce 940MX so the dual switchable features work as is suppose to.

Once that done, all you have to do is to get TS3 recognized your GeForce 940MX by editing the GraphicCards.sgr, and you're almost done.

And then get the FPS limiter that fits your TS3 version, but this might have a problem if your TS3 is 1.69 version because it can't by-pass the Launcher or altered the way the game is launched so the FPS limiter also running at the same time when launching the game, this is why he recommend by using the Nvidia Control Panel or the Nvidia Inspector to cap the FPS. But anyhow, to make sure the cap or FPS lmiter is working for your TS3, just open the cheat box and type FPS ON, and then when the game is running you can check at your top right corner of your screen the frame rate numbers, if it's either 30 or 60 (depends on how you set it up) then it's running, if it's keep going to hundreds frames.. then it's not working.

And to answer is it necessary to have cap the frame rate for TS3, yes it is, my old GTX280 was killed by TS3 because I didn't know I suppose to run FPS limiter for TS3 back then, in my opinion even if somehow you can't get your 940MX recognized by TS3, it's still safe to run the game as long as the FPS is running in the background, so it's up to you then..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:46 PM
Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I have made the appropriate changes to both the GraphicsCards and the GraphicsRules files. I will run my game in a minute, and then check my DeviceConfig file, to see if it has worked. I'll report back here to tell you how it goes.
As for your answer to my fourth question, how would I go about getting my FPS capped by the NVIDIA Control Panel? I already have Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering on. And if my FPS were capped, what would it look like? What number FPS am I looking for?
Again, thank you so much for your continuous help. I truly appreciate it.
Instructor
#8 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nosnahnnylamme
Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I have made the appropriate changes to both the GraphicsCards and the GraphicsRules files. I will run my game in a minute, and then check my DeviceConfig file, to see if it has worked. I'll report back here to tell you how it goes.
As for your answer to my fourth question, how would I go about getting my FPS capped by the NVIDIA Control Panel? I already have Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering on. And if my FPS were capped, what would it look like? What number FPS am I looking for?
Again, thank you so much for your continuous help. I truly appreciate it.

Editing the GraphicRules.sgr is the last thing you need to do and only needed if there's a Texture Memory 32MB Override, if there's no override you don't need to edit it. You might want to follow this thread for better understanding.

About the FPS limiter you need, it depends on what version your TS3 is, if yours is 1.69 I suggest you use the Nvidia Inspector, create a profile for TS3 or you can use the one built-in for TS3 by scrolling down the Profiles Box down to Sims3. Set it to 30 or 60 fps and saved it, and always run it or load it before launching TS3.

To check if your Nvidia Inspector is capping your frame rates when you're in game, hit Ctrl+Shift+C to open cheat box and type in FPS ON, you'll see a small number popped up on your top right corner of your screen, that small numbers is telling you what frames rate you're currently running..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Editing the GraphicRules.sgr is the last thing you need to do and only needed if there's a Texture Memory 32MB Override, if there's no override you don't need to edit it. You might want to follow this thread for better understanding.

About the FPS limiter you need, it depends on what version your TS3 is, if yours is 1.69 I suggest you use the Nvidia Inspector, create a profile for TS3 or you can use the one built-in for TS3 by scrolling down the Profiles Box down to Sims3. Set it to 30 or 60 fps and saved it, and always run it or load it before launching TS3.

To check if your Nvidia Inspector is capping your frame rates when you're in game, hit Ctrl+Shift+C to open cheat box and type in FPS ON, you'll see a small number popped up on your top right corner of your screen, that small numbers is telling you what frames rate you're currently running..

Just double checking, do I run/load "NVIDIA Inspector" before launching TS3, or was that for the "the one built-in for TS3"?
(Downloading NVIDIA Inspector right now, if I have any questions I'll report back here.)
Thank you so much for your replies.

EDIT: Actually, I'm becoming quite confused about which version of NVIDIA Inspector I should download. Can you post a link to which one you suggest? And how do I use this program to cap FPS? I saw a screenshot of the program and it looked extremely complicated.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:04 PM
Okay, so I launched TS3. While I was in game, I decided to start a tester save to check the FPS. It /seems/ to be capping at 60 (though it did go to 62 once), without the use of NVIDIA Inspector. Does this mean I don't need to worry about downloading a FPS limiter?

The game ran really well, by the way. Everything loaded very quickly.

Plus, when I checked my DeviceConfig file after saving and quitting, my graphics card has officially been recognized!
([Found: 1, Matched: 1])

My "Texture Memory 32MB Override" seems to have been fixed as well!
(Texture memory: 1024MB)

Success! Thank you all so much for all your help, I truly appreciate it.
My last question (hopefully) is this: Do you guys have any suggestions for what I, personally, with my computer specs and driver info, should set all of my TS3 graphics options (such as Tree Quality, Draw Distance, Edge Smoothing, etc.) to? What can my computer handle? [I'll mention that before I reset my computer, updated my drivers and reinstalled my games, I had all the settings (besides High Detail Lots) set to high. I never experienced any lag problems.]

Again: thank you, thank you, thank you!
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:11 PM
Just double checking, do I run/load "NVIDIA Inspector" before launching TS3, or was that for the "the one built-in for TS3"?
(Downloading NVIDIA Inspector right now, if I have any questions I'll report back here.)
Thank you so much for your replies.

EDIT: Actually, I'm becoming quite confused about which version of NVIDIA Inspector I should download. Can you post a link to which one you suggest? And how do I use this program to cap FPS? I saw a screenshot of the program and it looked extremely complicated.

Yes run/load Nvidia Inspector profile before launching TS3. Here is the link to download it.

Once you've downloaded it, install/run it, and click the tools button next to the Driver Version's box (like in the picture in the link), then a new window will pop up for you to create the profile you need for TS3 or you can just scroll down the Profiles Box down to "Sims3", then.. under "Sync and Refresh" click the Frame Rates Limiter and change it from "off" to "30" or "60", then click "apply changes", then you can also click the "Create a desktop shortcut to run profiles settings standalone". So next time you need to run it, just click the one you've just created on your desktop, and just check the settings again and click "Apply changes" again (if you have to to make sure it runs before you run TS3), and that's all how to use it.
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:24 PM
My last question (hopefully) is this: Do you guys have any suggestions for what I, personally, with my computer specs and driver info, should set all of my TS3 graphics options (such as Tree Quality, Draw Distance, Edge Smoothing, etc.) to?

If you followed the tutorial thread I gave you, and you replaced the GT640 for your GT940MX, then you don't need to change anything, what is been set there, is what best for your GT940MX spec running TS3, the only things that downgraded were the instructions to the level of generation 6th of your GT940MX (which is the GT640), but the spec for its class or rank is not downgraded to the lower spec from your GT940MX.

If you change or raised the quality, it will only make your GT940MX a bit overload because you force it to work beyond its best performance for TS3, sure it can.. but it'll be just like overclocking your gpu, if your GT940MX is equipped with proper cooling and you don't mind raising your gpu voltage for overclocking.. then go ahead, but I can't guarantee it will be stable and usually the factory warranty.. usually voided when they knew its damage were from overclocking (when you claim damage and asking replacement)