Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 5:14 PM
Default EA Retiring The Sims 3 Online Services for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
I wonder if this is a sign that soon the pc exchange will be gone........ And If so How will the handle purchased DLC......
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 6:34 PM
Forum Resident
#3 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 7:26 PM
Sorry if I sounded a little dismissive OP. I really do mean that there's probably nothing to worry about on the pc side right now. In addition to what Deshong posted, you may want to go through the Exchange and back-up anything you want to keep as well. Even if they go down eventually, you'll still have access to the content if you've already downloaded and backed it up.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
#4 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 4:57 AM
So as long as things are already downloaded they're safe? Or do they require a backup? Like, is that just for should we change computers, or do we need to back them up anyway?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 7:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
So as long as things are already downloaded they're safe? Or do they require a backup? Like, is that just for should we change computers, or do we need to back them up anyway?
That's what backup means in this case. Have the stuff somewhere on your computer or on any other storage medium.
Once you've installed something from the Store or Exchange, don't delete the sims3pack, keep it safe somewhere.
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 8:54 AM
When this eventually reaches the PC version, how will players at patch 1.69 be affected? I'm assuming Simport won't work anymore either (did anyone even use it?), as won't the feature of gifting other players items.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
When this eventually reaches the PC version, how will players at patch 1.69 be affected? I'm assuming Simport won't work anymore either (did anyone even use it?), as won't the feature of gifting other players items.

The main point behind 1.69 is simply to link your game to Origin, so it'll be fine in that regard if you've patched to it. Simport, gifting, etc are what EA refers to when they mention anything about online services and possibly retiring them. They should post a notice in advance.

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 4:51 PM
Backing up - does that save you when you upgrade your computer? I don't think so because of the DRM in the purchased store content.
Opps. Says right there on the page it needs to be done by how you installed it... Steam, Origin or disk. Does this mean Origin is going to drop Sims 3?

Sims are better than us.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 9th Jun 2018 at 3:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Does this mean Origin is going to drop Sims 3?

Nope. The fear here is that at some point in the near future, EA is going to cease supporting the Store, Exchange, etc like they're doing now with the console exchange. I don't think we'll have to worry about it in the next couple of weeks or anything like that, but at some point they *will* stop supporting them. It's just the nature of product life cycle. For anyone reading this thread, it would be in your best interest to back up your content now while the opportunity is still there, regardless of how soon EA decides to pull the plug on the store/exchange.

But no, you will not have to worry about TS3 disappearing from your library.

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 5:40 PM
My computer is on it's last legs. It's a Dell Inspiron 7559. The design is poor, the left side of the screen and case is held on by one screw with small threads. The heat sink exhaust is right there. If I play the sims, it gets hot and the screw can't grip the plastic. The result is that my computer is held together with Gorilla Tape. and the power input is busted.
Won't be long until I have to replace this, but I'm worried that if Sims 3 disappears from Steam, I'm done with my Sims 3 paid for content.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
My computer is on it's last legs. It's a Dell Inspiron 7559.

Google says your computer is a fairly beefy, 3 year old gaming laptop. If so, it'd be a shame to have to replace it. What do you plan to do?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#12 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 5:53 PM
Traditionally with digital game distributors, once you've purchased the content/games they stay right where they are. Replacing your pc doesn't affect much, you'll just have to redownload your games to your new pc. But even if they decided to stop supporting TS3 altogether for some reason, not just the online features you still shouldn't have to worry about anything. Dropping support =/= they pull your content away from your pc/account.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 6:33 PM
And that's exactly why I don't think they're in a hurry to drop TS3. They may close the Store, and I expect them to, but they can't go any further than that. Ending support and taking away a product from customers that paid for it is not only completely unacceptable, it's also completely illegal and would likely result in EA getting sued.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Google says your computer is a fairly beefy, 3 year old gaming laptop. If so, it'd be a shame to have to replace it. What do you plan to do?

If it dies, I'll get another one but not the same model. Many folks with this model and similar have the same problem - buy it for it's electronics, but the physical design is so poor. Dell won't take ownership of it.
I'm considering an MSI gaming laptop. I have no room for a desktop because the house is full of junk and there's no place to put it. The most demanding application I use is the Sims 3. Even Mathematica doesn't make it heat up like the Sims.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 9:16 PM
I'm buying a new laptop too later this year, I'm going back to school. The only problem I expect to have with said laptop is that I'm not going to be able to afford it. Which, I'll admit, is a fairly significant hurdle. Does anyone know of a good place where you can get a high-power gaming laptop for, say, €12 in spare change?

insert signature here
Theorist
#16 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 1:05 AM
And that's exactly why I don't think they're in a hurry to drop TS3. They may close the Store, and I expect them to, but they can't go any further than that. Ending support and taking away a product from customers that paid for it is not only completely unacceptable, it's also completely illegal and would likely result in EA getting sued.

Well you can try, but doubt you'd win. Software companies these days call them "services" not "products" and state that they can stop providing them at any time. The agreement you no doubt clicked off on explained all this to you.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Forum Resident
#17 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Well you can try, but doubt you'd win. Software companies these days call them "services" not "products" and state that they can stop providing them at any time. The agreement you no doubt clicked off on explained all this to you.

Well, yes. But even then that doesn't happen very often. Software companies don't typically rip their customers' purchases right out from under them without a valid reason. That particular clause in just about any agreement is just covering their tracks if you blatantly disregard their EULA and get caught, or the company goes under. Both of which don't really happen on a daily basis. In this case, there's literally no point to them removing TS3 from everyone's library just because they would potentially stop supporting the game itself completely.

Forum Resident
#19 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 1:39 AM Last edited by Jathom95 : 9th Jun 2018 at 3:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That's why I'm old school. I never buy online softwares. Send me the damn floppy!

Haha, yeah. People laugh, but for something like this there's still some validity in having an actual, tangible product in your hands. Truthfully, you don't even own that, the content that is. Just the physical media. It's still being "licensed" to you. But what are they going to do? Come to your house and steal all of your games?

Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 2:29 AM
I'm buying a new laptop too later this year, I'm going back to school. The only problem I expect to have with said laptop is that I'm not going to be able to afford it. Which, I'll admit, is a fairly significant hurdle. Does anyone know of a good place where you can get a high-power gaming laptop for, say, €12 in spare change?

You have to watch for sales, but the two big manufacturers with products in that price range here in the US are Proctor-Silex and Hamilton Beach. Black & Decker might still have a product line in that range as well.

If you can save/find just a bit more of that spare change in the sofa cushions, you might want to go for the dual core versions. They won't run your games any better, but they do have four-slice capacity at least until one of the cores burns out permanently before the other (usually what happens).
Mad Poster
#21 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 12:28 PM
Sorry, I'm already set when it comes to microwaves, blenders, electric drills....

Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Well, yes. But even then that doesn't happen very often. Software companies don't typically rip their customers' purchases right out from under them without a valid reason. That particular clause in just about any agreement is just covering their tracks if you blatantly disregard their EULA and get caught, or the company goes under. Both of which don't really happen on a daily basis. In this case, there's literally no point to them removing TS3 from everyone's library just because they would potentially stop supporting the game itself completely.

Yeah, and adding to that, I don't think the 2018 rules apply to a game like TS3. It's a product that was registered, that was rated, that was distributed in 2008/9 and as such, the EULA included with the game outlines what is and isn't possible to do between EA and the consumer. Either way, there isn't a jurisdiction in the world where a corporation could get away with such a blatant violation of customer rights. They'd need to have A LOT of bullshit excuses before it could be made to look like something other than plain old theft.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 12:17 PM
I'm more concerned about me DLC from the store...... these things do go away..... i have backed up my stuff ..... i had a take my computer back to factory recently and was glad i did ...... but my external hard drive is acting up and i'm saving to get an external ssd but seeing that did make me wonder how soon this could happen.......
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Proctor-Silex

Ah, you have to watch out for that brand, I got one with the 'Bridgeport' processor and it would only work during club hours.
Scholar
#24 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:34 AM

You can read dutch, so imo a good starting place for buying advice of a laptop or self built PC are the best buy guides on tweakers.net (laptop and desktop best buy alternate every month). They always show laptops for different budget ranges and are very elaborate in their reasoning for their choice. On top of that, those articles have a very active comment section filled with people who know better where the article writer actually defends his choices :p

I use it for my desktop pc, to see what components are good bang for the buck at that time. They also keep availability issues in mind (like with certain graphics card at some point).

EDIT: Also a very good website to ask for buy advice for any pc hardware on their forums. It is a very community driven website and people respond in a helpful way (that website and this one are some of my favourites for this reason).
dodgy builder
#25 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 6:22 PM
I have a pre 2012 ts3 base game copy and cherish it. I have only patch 1.67. I have also already downloaded all the store sets I like to keep, decrapified, organized them and put them in a dedicated folder. The next job will be to move them to an external drive.

Superpatcher has been downloaded and already tested on this selfmade rig.

I hope I'm well prepared. I recommend others do the same.

You can argue about EA being sued all you like, but are you really going to take your chance on that. Remember what a horrible reputation EA has.

... another point being; how long can we really expect a company to keep our purchases? I mean in accounting there is rules to keep papers for 7 years or something, at least where I live. Does it really say in the EULA how long they are required to keep downloadable content if it cannot be used otherwise?

They could of couse offer it in another way when they decide end it. They did with ts2 I believe.
Page 1 of 2