Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetichigodream
Problem is that CAST can't be forced on down the road because of its complicateness all the textures has to redone so better do it NOW than later.
Instead they gave us pool and ghosts....

I wouldn't be surprised if CAST is something they were working on before the release date of The Sims 4, but they just didn't have time to complete it at launch. If you remember correctly, they said pools were difficult to put into the game for whatever reason I can't remember at this point, but suddenly we have pools. This leaves me to believe they were lower on the list of important features they wanted added. But, CAST is a bit more complicated than pools, because it involves re-coloring the many textures in the game, as well as making it function properly with the gallery.

I do have a feeling we'll see CAST again.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#127 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BiscoMix
I wouldn't be surprised if CAST is something they were working on before the release date of The Sims 4, but they just didn't have time to complete it at launch. If you remember correctly, they said pools were difficult to put into the game for whatever reason I can't remember at this point, but suddenly we have pools. This leaves me to believe they were lower on the list of important features they wanted added. But, CAST is a bit more complicated than pools, because it involves re-coloring the many textures in the game, as well as making it function properly with the gallery.

I do have a feeling we'll see CAST again.

And to clarify, that was respectful disagree. I know you would like to see CAST again, as we all do. However, if coding in the base game development did not allow for multiple recolorable channels to exist on objects, trying to add that in a patch, short of a patch that replaces a big ass chunk of the game engine and all the objects released to date (build/buy/and CAS to make it as useful as it was in 3) is simply impossible. It's the kind of feature so closely interwoven into the game engine that when they dropped it way back in development, that feature was lost, certainly in the form we had in 3. Maybe a color wheel will make an appearance for use on some objects (doubt it will be able to do much in CAS with patterned clothing, as if the patterns don't have color channels, all you could do, at best, is convert the item into some solid color style) but CAST as we knew it in 3 is long gone for 4.

Now, an external program to change textures for use in game? Possibly, but we already have tools like that from the community. Which is great. But it's not, IMO, as useful as the "live, in game" (OK live in buy/build or CAS/Stylist) CAST we became so attached to in 3.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
And to clarify, that was respectful disagree. I know you would like to see CAST again, as we all do. However, if coding in the base game development did not allow for multiple recolorable channels to exist on objects, trying to add that in a patch, short of a patch that replaces a big ass chunk of the game engine and all the objects released to date (build/buy/and CAS to make it as useful as it was in 3) is simply impossible. It's the kind of feature so closely interwoven into the game engine that when they dropped it way back in development, that feature was lost, certainly in the form we had in 3. Maybe a color wheel will make an appearance for use on some objects (doubt it will be able to do much in CAS with patterned clothing, as if the patterns don't have color channels, all you could do, at best, is convert the item into some solid color style) but CAST as we knew it in 3 is long gone for 4.

Now, an external program to change textures for use in game? Possibly, but we already have tools like that from the community. Which is great. But it's not, IMO, as useful as the "live, in game" (OK live in buy/build or CAS/Stylist) CAST we became so attached to in 3.

We don't really know what the engine is capable of doing in terms of CAST, but there have been a couple of developers who have confirmed that they're "looking into it".

SimGuruHolms: (OCT 30)

"We are looking into various CAST options right now and know you guys want them."

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_12907495

SimGuruGraham: (Nov 1)

"I wouldn't normally do this, but I don't appreciate being called a liar.

The issue I was speaking to with adding CASt post launch is that for it to exist in the manner you're familiar with from The Sims 3 it would necessitate going back and re-doing the materials for every purchasable object in the game. The further you get from launch, the more assets you have to go back and re-create. It's the same reason why every car in The Sims 3 didn't suddenly animate once that one car was added in Roaring Heights - the art assets aren't compatible like that, and it wasn't feasible to do that work (keeping in mind that regardless of the technical possibility of something existing given an unlimited amount of time and budget, developers have to work within realistic constraints). Hence, my quote."

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_12911417

From my understanding, they haven't mentioned that it's not possible with the current engine, but rather it would be time consuming, seeing as they would have to build upon current assets to account for re-coloring/texturing.
Page 6 of 6