Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#126 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:31 PM
Oh never mind I forgot to state in so gutted grr at me
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#127 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:33 PM
The only thing about the scoring was the presentation bit: some people got high scores for just showing pictures with a bit of "hey here is my house" with them and some people got high scores for writing stories to go along with it. I know the rules stated you can do whichever but it makes it kind of hard to determine which is the best way of presentation if there is no real scoring consistency. Otherwise, I guess I am okay with my score! I won't lie, I was hoping for better but, overall, I am pleased, especially considering this was the first ever house I built for TS3.
Instructor
#128 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alan_Gast
Wow, I'm so happy with my score!

Although I was suprised at how highly some entries scored, and there may have been a lee-tle bit of -favouritism- overall this contest was fuu-uu-UN.

Well done guys!!

I don't see the favoritism at all. The ones with higher scores had great houses.

The judges did a great job.
Space Pony
#129 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:39 PM
GOOD JOB EVERYONE! Give yourselves a pat on the back. Everyone did awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing the scores for round 2! I don't care what my score is to be honest...I had fun! Great Contest!
Also, Gratz to the winners of this round :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#130 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:40 PM
Alan - We had -eight- judges this time around. All with their own tastes and preferences - and amount of niceness. Some awarded, on average, more points than others, some probably gravitate toward particular styles more than others - just like anyone. Subsequent rounds, not sure if I'll be able to wrangle that many people into judging again as the poor things know what they're getting into now - but I think personal taste and any favouritism probably evens out over eight very different people.

heaven_sent_8_18 - I don't think it's so much about the "best" way to do it but how you put your own personal spin on it. Too much constriction and you can't really express yourself and do your own thing. For some, the stories worked really well, and for others, a bit more "here is my house" description did too. Some people excelled more on pics than text, and if ya did well on both, you got an especially high score. It's hard to put a lot of this aesthetic stuff into a numerical value, but it's sorta what you have to do for a contest like this.
Field Researcher
#131 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:40 PM
Thank you judges!
I think all, who had high scores deserved it, they've done an excellent job. Actually my opinion coinsided a lot with judges.))
I'm surprised I've scored so high.
Typical
#132 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:44 PM Last edited by lewjen : 24th Jul 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Default Lewjen's Round 2 Entry - Not-So-Mediocre-Modern
Whee! I got my round to entry done in good time, helped by the fact that there was no rush to get done in time.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:53 PM
You missed counted my score by one point, i should have 60 but thats ok I think everyone did well congratz Im about to post house #2 very soon
Typical
#134 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:57 PM
NickelNicole12 - HP does actually state that scores may be out by a point or so because the scores have ben averaged.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#135 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:10 AM
Yeah, you kind of have to be lenient. Mine is lower by 2 but that's okay. Makes me want to work even harder.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:10 AM
ohhh, i just saw that little bit in her post. Thank you for clarifying that I was too excited to see my scores to read everything
Field Researcher
#137 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:14 AM
I'm pleased with my score also. While some of the higher scores aren't my preference or something I personally like I still think with the amount of judges used it was done fairly. So hats off to the judges and especially HP for putting in their time and hard work for this contest.

Hopefully I'll stop flip flopping and get my round 2 entry in soon.. before I deconstruct and start all over again lol.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.
"I'd trade all of my tomorrows for just one yesterday." Me and Bobby Mcgee
Forum Resident
#138 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:27 AM
I am just to miffed as my self CC input for next time grr Kayla sort it out..

Thanks to judges also
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:03 AM Last edited by NickelNicole12 : 22nd Jul 2010 at 8:37 PM.
Ok here were go House #2. No CC once again

Cabin fever anyone? I don't think so! Not with this house anyway. Its a one bedroom, one bath cabin made out of rocks and pine wood. There is plenty to do such as fishing in your own private lake, barbecuing, bird watching and star gazing, swimming, painting, roasting marshmallows by the fire pit and more. You can rent it ( or buy) and use in the summer or the winter. You'll play some tunes sitting around the fireplace drinking hot chocolate on those cold snowy days.

Well, lets begin the tour!

This is the front of the house and as you can see there are some logs for you to stay nice and toasty on cold days.

Here are the house plans.

You can see parts of the foundation that aren't connected to anything. That's because the first day it was being built, it started to rain and created a small pond around where they've begun so the workers had to build farther back with better foundation. As a result of the rain, the pond expanded and was more of small lake than a pond. There are also some deposits of the rainwater still lying around. The workers never removed the old foundation for certain reasons.

Here is your foyer. " Not an extra picture, just part of the "tour""

The living room. Im sure you'll enjoy relaxing in here. On the left side o the picture, there is a love seat with some books for you to read

Moving on to the kitchen. This kitchen is built for a chef! I hope you enjoy cooking because we've installed the best appliances for you to use

Your bedroom. I just love that pine-tree green

Bathroom " Not part of extras, just part of tour"

Here is your marvelous backyard. You'll have plenty of space to grill and serve your guests. It's almost like your camping when you step outside, with the birds chirping and the sound of water running from the fountains and the small lake. And to relax even more...

...you even have your own outhouse!

I hoped you liked it!
Test Subject
#140 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:05 AM
owww i'm abit disappointed with my score to be honest. If I used no cc tho i would have gotten 63 and hopefully my next house will score higher cus i'm not using cc for it.

I know I'm not amazingly creative like some of you on here when it comes to the building but i think I make it up in my decorating and detail inside and I try just to make a good looking house thats all.

It seems like the people who do the modern houses or the themed houses get the higher score and no one should have to do a modern style house if it's not their style and they are not comfortable with it, they should be able to get decent points for doing their own thing.
I don't want to be rude but some of the higher scorers houses, yeah they have a good theme and the building is interesting but inside alot of them are dark and dingy and nothing matches nicely or the opposite and everything is too matchy matchy and not really thought about [not all of you tho ] I think alot of the creatively built houses have comprimised on the style inside maybe thats just my opinion but I think the inside is equally important as the outside and the scoring doesn't really reflect that and people have different skills.

But all in all I have had fun doing this and really it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks of your style cus everyone has different tastes and I'm very sorry for the rant lol. I'm just gunna have to try harder in the second round or try something new maybe :/
Forum Resident
#141 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:08 AM
Well, the themed houses would score higher, because we were supposed to have a theme for our house, whether that be modern, contemporary, disaster, Victorian and the like. I would have liked to have had a higher score, but at the same time, I was expecting a smaller score considering my house. I spent a lot of time working on the inside, but I neglected the outside, and that's where I lost points. I was disappointed about my presentation score.

In the end, I may have scored on the low end for this round, but it just makes me more determined to up the ante for the rest of the rounds.
Forum Resident
#142 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:25 AM
Same Im doubling over myself and I have only done the porch and the bathroom hahaha
Test Subject
#143 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:26 AM
What i meant about the theme thing was like the people who did the houses like the morrocan house or the lighthouse or houses which were heavily themed. I kept to a theme through my house, mine was kind of classic but modern but it wasnt a really obvious one, I think what they meant by sticking to a theme was that each room kind of went with the house and wasn't like an old victorian boudoir nextdoor to a crazy neon rave room
Forum Resident
#144 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:32 AM
Well, that's up to HP to clarify. I had the impression that it meant for your house to be what I described. Obviously, if you were to do a Moroccan themed house, both the exterior and interior decorating would reflect that, from room to room, keeping to what you thought as it being a continuous theme.
Scholar
#145 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:33 AM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 29th Jul 2010 at 1:34 AM. Reason: Updating picture links
Default Grandma's Cottage
Dude, I'm just happy I finished it.

Anyway, onto Round 2! (The official entry this time)

I called this one Grandma's Cottage. Of course, that would be if Grandma was rich, because it's a pretty big cottage, IMO.

The builders for the house decided to place a tower above the entry hall with plenty of windows to let in the sunlight - definitely not a happy home for vampires.

On the main floor, we have the living room,

the kitchen,

and the master suite, including a private porch for Grandma to relax after the grandkids have gone to bed upstairs.

(Grandma's got a nice view from her porch, doesn't she?)

On the second floor, we have a loft-style common area with a plenty of seating for everybody to sit around and catch up, with an activity table for the little ones. The second floor also contains the kids' bedroom, big enough for two at a time to benefit from alone time with Grandma!

In the backyard, we also have a nice big yard and a pool to splash around in during those hot summer days, and a great lounging area right by the poolside if those pesky teenage girls feel more like tanning than swimming!

No CC was used.
#146 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:43 AM
I have to agree with the others - Big thank you to the judges for taking time out to .. well ... judge. It can't have been easy and also a big thank you to HP for her hard work and dedication. Big gratz to the Round 1 winners - the bar is well and truly raised for the next round .. I am sooo rethinking my design now .. lol! Also, guys - you're all winners, you all made it to the 70 to actually compete and thats a biggie in itself, dontcha think?
Top Secret Researcher
#147 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
(Grandma's got a nice view from her porch, doesn't she?)

Snooping on police business

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Scholar
#148 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:52 AM
Secretly, Grandma's a spy.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#149 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 2:26 AM Last edited by porkypine : 21st Jul 2010 at 2:43 AM.
I want to congratulate all participants for their efforts on finishing and posting their entries. :0) You all did a great job! :0)

I want to put a challenge out to you early finishers. You have 8 DAYS - EIGHT DAYS - Why rush? Take your time and build the most fantabulous place you can think of. Is it good enough? Sleep on it and make it better! BEAT MY SCORE! I encourage you all ~! I can't wait to see what you've done with the footprint!

For those of you who do not have architectural training, I encourage you to use Google and look at pictures! Want to build your own Venetian Palazzo? Go look up pictures of Venice and use those elements here! Not interested in Italian? Then go off to Zanzibar and check out the homes and gardens there. Not there either? How about the adobes of the southwest US? OooO! How about Thailand? Zimbabwe? What can you do without CC? Can you capture that 'spirit' of the place? I really wanted to make a Japanese themed house for the round 2 footprint but I don't have the correct parts.. so, I bounced off that far wall and am working on the Sculpture's abode. I'd love to do a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired home but I need cc to do that justice. So you see, we all have limitations.

Check out garden pictures. Do you see one you like? SIMMIFY IT! I challenge you! :0) I look forward to seeing the FINAL round 2 entries. Don't give up! Enjoy yourselves and STEAL IDEAS from other players and make them better! (I'm chasing Flabiliki! ahahahahahahaa)
Forum Resident
#150 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 2:32 AM
Thanks porkypine lol I was just doing thouse myself

Page 6 of 20