Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 1st Sep 2006 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
You can find groups.cache in the root of your My Docs Sims 2 directory. I have noticed 2 things it may cause your game to do. 1) The game makes it to your processes list but doesn't actually launch - it just disappears OR 2) your game will launch but then you get a crashed application fairly quickly.

That's what happens to me like every other time I try to play the game! The cd autoplays and the little sims 2 icon appears but the game never launches, and it ends up freezing, and I have to restart the computer. I never would have guessed that that little file could've caused it. I'll see if deleting that file will help.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 3:35 AM Last edited by CokeBuilder : 15th Dec 2006 at 3:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpfulMaxoidTom. I've always wondered what the groups.cache did and how deleting i helped game performance...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

Sorry, I don't take requests.

My building tutorial: Link
Test Subject
#28 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 8:55 PM
please help me!!
I deleted the groups.cache file and tried launching the game...but then a blank error box pops up and when I return to the c:\program files\eagames folder I find that the groups.cache has been automatically restored after deletion.....what can I do with that blank error box?????????
Test Subject
#30 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 11:46 PM
I re-installed sims 2 3 times now to try deleting the groups.cache file but the same problem persists....how can I stop that blank error box that has sims 2 at the top and a red X in the box without error message
Part-time Hermit
#31 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 5:03 AM
snowflake_2236, please, take a look at the FAQs , and if you don't find a solution there, then make a post in the Help forum.
Test Subject
#32 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 8:25 PM
Default :s
Sorry.. other one in wrong place..
Anyway I'm confused.. how does it actually help? Does it delete any downloads or lots ect? Thanks
Test Subject
#33 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:42 AM
hmm...
Ok, my game seems to stop loading at a certain point, and i was wondering if that file could be the problem? I dont want to do anything until i know for sure. Would deleting that file help? Or could more problems accur? What are the risks?
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 26th May 2007 at 9:43 PM
Well my game stopped loading after the expansion pack logo came up, it sounded like my computer powered up and then gave up.

I didn't read this before finding out that it was this particular file that was causing the problem as i went through the files individually to see which one was causing the problem with a view to narrowing it down bit by bit. I came across this thread purely for googling the file name, just to make sure it wasn't anything important.

Squidly - It would appear (if you haven't tried already since your post was a coupla months ago) that the game doesn't need this file to run anyway so deleting it shouldn't cause a problem, but it could fix one. Sounds to me like there's nothing to lose by deleting it.
Test Subject
#35 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 1:54 PM
Default question
my groups.cache file 468KB, but i'm not having any issues with my game at the moment. i have roughly about 7,000 downloads currently with 2.8GB. since i am not having any problems, can i still delete it and still see improvement?
Test Subject
#36 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 4:17 AM
im kind of worried about deleting the groups.cache file. Are you sure it's safe to delete and wont really affect anything in my game?

My name is Megan. I've had the Sims 2 for about 2 years now and I absolutely LOVE it!! Haha. I love downloading everything and use more downloads than what came with the game when i play. lol. I like peircings, hairstyles, cool clothes, and furniture the best =]
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#37 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 6:18 AM
I purge my groups.cache file as a matter of routine.
More info on the mystery file LOL
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=75565
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ete_Cache_Files

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#38 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 3:56 AM
I wonder sometimes what this file can do to my work???
I'm so tired of slow loading for the body shop and the game.
I have 3 expansion packs, OFB,UNi and nightlife.
I've had a lot of errors and game crashes.
I had a game crash in the bodyshop for tha first time.
Can anyone help me wit this group.Cache stuff???
I'm a little nervous of deleting this file, My group.cache file is 238KB
Test Subject
#39 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 6:56 PM
DELETE it!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 15th Oct 2007 at 9:45 PM
If it makes some people nervous to delete, it's not really a big deal, since it can be fixed. I followed canoodle's link and deleted all the temp files they listed... but as I did so, I noted that the deleting files (accessories.cache, group.cache, etc.) were all deleted to the Recycle Bin. In the unlikely event that SOMETHING negative happens, just go into the Bin and restore them back into the EA Games\Sims 2 directory.
Test Subject
#41 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 4:43 PM
Thank you, I luv you!!!! I wish I had known this before I reinstalled my game though.
GRRRS on the Group.cache file!!!!
I reinstalled the Seasons expansion after it wouldn't start-lost many, many, MANY hours of downloads. The game started again so I went off and downloaded some more stuff and guess what? It wouldn't start again. But then I read this beautiful post and as I write my game is loading.
Yay!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#42 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 5:18 PM
Ooooooh, and I could kiss your little faces again and again! Not only did the stuff I recently upload but my OLD STUFF TOO!!!! Yay!!! Many, many, MANY hours of downloading NOT wasted.
You guys are the bomb! Thank you so very much. I'm very happy! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc
Test Subject
#43 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 9:14 PM
I have a question. I play the game and save and then I exit the game but then when I restart the game-usually after I've rebooted my computer-none of my saved files are there. It's happened to me twice. Is this from deleting the group.cache file or is this something else?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:26 AM
What's the difference between the groups.cache and the Accessory.cache?

I think everybody should like everybody. ~Andy Worhol (Go Pittsburgh!!)

98% of teens have drank or been around alcohol. Put this in your signature if you like bagels.

"I don't want to do good things, I want to do great things." -- Lex Luthor
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 12:49 AM
This fixed everything for me, thanks ^.^

hi, i'm yasmine.
Locked thread
Page 2 of 2