Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 6:34 PM
Default Star Wars: The Old Republic
Is anybody going to be playing SWToR? Its an mmo! If you haven't heard of it check it out

www.swtor.com

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.
"I'd trade all of my tomorrows for just one yesterday." Me and Bobby Mcgee
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by seraphime
Is anybody going to be playing SWToR? Its an mmo! If you haven't heard of it check it out

www.swtor.com

Pre-ordered last month, can't wait :D

Allready have 16 characters planned out, I'm on the SWTOR forum every day and scavaging the internet for new scraps of info each day aswell.

The story elements and companions is what sold me on SWTOR, it's going to be one hell of a ride.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Inventor
#3 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 7:00 PM
Excuse me the double post but more people need to get excited for this game around here :P

I've played the recent Beta Weekend (the Thanksgiving weekend one) and I'm stoked!

I play Skyrim all day long, but when I goi to bed it's Star Wars that occupies my mind.

I'll copy/paste my impressions of my time in SWTOR from what I wrote on my blog:
Quote:
I had high expectations for this game and I have to say, they weren't met, no, SWTOR exceeded my expectations by far!

After all the drama of my PC breaking down and making the decision to get a brand new system and fearing I'd not be able to make it to the Beta Weekend in time, I have to say that buying a brand new i7-2600 was the best thing I could have done to experience this game. Running the game on max settings at 1600*900 (hey I like this res, at least I can still read stuff on the screen ) on my 94cm (37") TV was a blast, the game looks very very good. I can only imagine that the people who complain about it's looks just don't like the cartoony style the game is set in. I was most impressed by the shadows and lighting effects, weapons fire, light sabers and the BH's flamethrower all light up the area in a most realistic way. The overall lighting levels on Hutta and Dromund Kaas really set the mood. The game ran very smooth, too smooth, as I had to turn down mouse sensitivity a bit lest I'd get motion sickness just trying to look around.

I started out by fiddling around with the character creator, I created one character for each class mainly to see how some of my choices I had made prior would actually work out in the game. Some of them turned out better then expected, my Smuggler looks like a cross between Charles Bronson and Ron Jeremy, my Bounty Hunter looks like Commander Shepherd assimilated by the Borg, my Miraluka Jedi Knight didn't come out quite as I'd hoped, he was meant to resemble a younger version of Jerec, but instead ended up looking like a bald Agent Smith. I might have to rethink going Miraluka.
I picked an US East Coast server to play on as I intent to play on both US/EU servers at launch. I experienced virtually no lag, two minor lag spikes and that was it, keep in mind this weekend was a stress test (even if Bioware isn't calling it that, there were over 1.5 million people invited) My MS ran in the high double numbers for most of the weekend, occasionally going into the low triples, highest I'd seen was in the 170s for a few minutes. Seeing as in WoW I'd often get around 160-200 on EU servers, some days shooting up to 400, I was very pleased.

Right after you create your character you're put into the story, you'll arrive at your starter planet and are introduced to your first interactive cutscene, similar to those in Mass Effect or Dragon Age. You can be a goody two-shoes or a douche bag right from the get go, yay!
In my allotted time during the Beta I leveled 3 chars. A Smuggler and Sith Warrior, both to level 10 and a Bounty Hunter to level 12. And I can say I loved the mechanics of each class. I played the Warrior first and it felt very familiar, if you've ever played a Warrior class in WoW you'll feel right at home, even the Rage mechanics work largely the same. And yes overall the game mechanics and UI feel very similar to WoW, after all it's a hot-key MMO, and all hot-key MMO play this way.
The one thing that off-sets this game from WoW is that while you're leveling... well you're not really leveling. Sounds a bit odd right? Well what I mean is, while you're playing you follow a story, and you can't help but get involved in the story, not once did I pay attention to the XP bar, "dinging" always came as a surprise.

There is a lot of backstabbing and betrayal going on in the 3 stories that I played, it almost seems to be the generic theme running through every class' prologue story. Character progression is done quite nicely and by level 10 you're ready to leave the starter planet, look like a BA, have your first companion and will be completely engrossed in the story of your class.
Each starter planet will have your class' main story quest, side quests and some heroic quests. You can group up with someone to do the heroic quests (which are designed to do with 2 people) or you can just leave them till last, as they're soloable once you get your companion, the latter is what I did with my Bounty Hunter and without Mako healing me, I'm not sure I'd be able to have done all of them solo.

Beta is Beta, so there are still some bugs, here's what I've encountered so far;
-Hearing other peoples companions talk, as if they were talking to you.
-Other peoples companions sometimes appearing in their underwear.
-Foliage textures on Dromund Kaas having a black edge where alpha channels is suppose to hide that part of the texture (might be a Gpu driver issue on my side)
-NPC loading without their "extra apparel" like the band in the cantina on Hutta playing without instruments or guards standing around holding "air guns".

The biggest bug I've had was on Dromund Kaas with my Bounty Hunter, I chose an option during conversation that would normally result in a fight, but the NPC I needed to kill was not attackable when the cut scene was over. I logged out and back in to see if that would fix it, but to my shock that put me outside this instanced story phase without the option to get back in. I'm pretty sure customer services would've been able to help me out here and get everything back the way it should be, but it was getting a bit late and there were only a few hours in the Beta weekend left, so I opted to just log out, at this point I pretty much got out of the Beta what I'd hoped to get out of it anyhow.

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Dec 2011 at 10:43 PM
The beta was thoroughly enjoyable but outside of the voiced quests (which does add a lot) it is another standard (albeit high quality) MMO.

I still look to The Secret War and Guild Wars to give the genre the shakeup it so desperately needs.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Inventor
#5 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 11:56 AM Last edited by Axe Gaijin : 13th Dec 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Guild Wars 2 looks very good, the footage I've seen of it shows a lot of prommise, but, I just can't get excited for it, for some reason it just doesn't grab me, it just doesn't interest me

It's a shame DCUO didn't do better, it definetly was a MMO from another mold, sadly the social aspects of the game were sadly lacking, the chat box, and the UI overall, is just extremely counter-intuitive to use. Why couldn't they have developed two UI? one for the Playstation version and one for the PC.

But I guess as long as WoW is the biggest fish in the pond, other MMO will be compared to it, the irony... If it's too much like WoW it "sucks" because it's a WoW clone, if it's nothing like WoW at all it "sucks" because it's too different.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Dec 2011 at 2:29 AM
Guild wars was super boring for me.. it was the same thing over and over..I'm not excited about Guild Wars 2 at all... not that I've looked into it much...
Wow.. is incredibly boring.. been in recovery, lol for over a year and I am in no way interested in returning to that time suck of repetition..
Skyrim I'm still playing... but I started with a warrior.. and yeah.. BORED! yeah yeah.. I know know... so I recently started again as a mage.........
I will be picking up a copy of Star Wars...looks interesting
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Dec 2011 at 9:01 AM
The Old Republic is not all that different to WoW so be warned.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Instructor
#8 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:28 PM
This may be a good time to resurrect this thread.
Because SW:TOR has gone Free 2 Play.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20120731

Not completely f2P, here are the details so far.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Theorist
#9 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:57 PM
"SWTOR will totally crush WoW and blow away the competition."
"So what if SWTOR isn't GotY?"
"Yeah, well SWTOR has more subscribers than you think."
"SWTOR has lots of subscribers if you count the free month trial."
"It's only those SWTOR players rushing to level 50 who are complaining."
"SWTOR will go full fury once the new patch is released."
"SWTOR will be back in action once they merge servers."
"SWTOR will never go free to play."
"Okay, well SWTOR won't go free to play before the end of the year."
"SWTOR isn't dead."

Great job on that 500 million game. Use the force.
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 11:48 AM Last edited by Dambi : 28th Apr 2014 at 9:56 AM.
Still playing this game?

..it seems that they're adding a little of the sims to the game in the next expansion.
Inventor
#11 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:33 AM
I'm still around

The next Expansion pack looks pretty good, I bet I'll spend hours decorating my Stronghold when it goes live for subs on August 19th. I've been tuning in to their Twitch.tv streams to see Eric Musco decorating poorly...

STWOR is doing pretty well for itself at the moment, and I hope we'll get an influx of new players when the new Star Wars movies are released in the coming years.
It's currently ranked 4th in the list of sub-based MMO: http://www.superdataresearch.com/bl...l-games-market/

Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 11:21 AM
Same here. I will probably be in stronghold 99% of my play time. Other 1% I will be gathering decorations. xD

I must say, that for me, stronghold on DK and Coruscant are the most appealing, especially DK. Only thing that missing is hook for the ships. They should add some more sims features, like visits from npc. For Darth Nox, you can have some dark council member stopping by. :D

"Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself."
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 7:48 PM
Some of my chars:

Before all inquisitor's gear look became available for all...

Peace is a lie, right? At least for her, so before she enters her room, she's ready...

..for shadows apparently.
Test Subject
#14 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 11:12 PM
^I like it. :D

Some of my jedi, guardian and shadow:

Inventor
#15 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 11:55 PM
Well... if we're going to post pictures of our chars I should warn you, I have 64 of them

But since it's already up on PB here's a shot of Corbain, my Bounty Hunter on Shadowlands.

Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 9:18 AM
Wow, 64. ..all lvl55?

I wouldn't mind, if you showed us all 64, but I think it a big job for you to do that. You can pick a few, that you think, that they look great, as intended for that class (or how do you think it should). Or all 64.
As you can see mine, no much effort, picked jedi stuff for the jedi.

Inventor
#17 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 3:17 PM
Not a single 55 I'm afraid, I leveled my main (Shadow) to 50 in the months following launch but he's not even set foot on Makeb yet. I f I start playing him again I'll just finish the Vos Bonus series first.

Corbain is my second highest at 35 then about 10 that are between 20-25 and the rest at level 11-15 just finished with their starter planet.
I'm far more interested in the journey then the destination, I don't care about raiding and dailies get boring after a while.

Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:54 PM Last edited by Dambi : 10th Aug 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Well I dont like grinding, but rading and dailies are part of the story, and that what I like. And the moment Makeb became available, I jump to it, to see what happening. I have 8lvl 55, but havent finish the story with smuggler and trooper. I have started last chapter with them, and because I am all focus on their story, I mostly skip side quest, and their lvling go slowly. I have more chars on other server, and I made them mostly for pvp. That is what I enjoy too, and lowbi pvp is extra fun for me. In every wz, I can easy solo 3 ppl, total domination
And with highest lvl, you have all options available. Without 55, you couldn't play dread war, forge alliance... and when stongholds come to be, you cant have all decorations without some unfortunately, grinding end game content.
Also, aren't you curious to see the story of your chars?
And pop up some pic.

Inventor
#19 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 3:51 PM
I don't do PvP either

Yeah I am curious about the story, I love the SWTOR story and I'll eventually will have the story done for every class at least once. I'm in no hurry tough, and I usually play with General Chat turned off to avoid storyline spoilers.

I like roleplaying my characters through the story (main and side) and exploring the different conversation options. I.e. Corbain's main drive is greed, he's in it for the money. He doesn't care about the whole Mandalorian honour crap, he just wants a pay day. If that means shooting someone in the face then so be it, if it means taking a bribe from his victim to let them escape and he thinks he can get a way with it? Then so be it. Another BH of mine (Her appearance is based on Shae Vizla, the BH from the trailers) is loyal to the Empire, she will not make decisions that will harm the Empire and will not question orders given to her by members of the Empire. Still does not mean she is inherently evil of brutally violent, she might still show compassion to people she meets that are in need of help. (just as long as it doesn't hurt the Empire).
So basically every of my 64 has a different background and thus a slightly shifted experience throughout the game.

Mhh I was going to get screen shots of all my chars eventually, I just spend 3 weeks outfitting everyone of them with full moddable gear from head to toe (spend waaaay too much money on CC) so I guess I'll pop some shots on here in due time. For now, here's a shot of Bix, the reluctant hero, one of my Smugglers.

Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 8:08 PM Last edited by Dambi : 16th Aug 2014 at 4:52 PM.
Maybe you gonna find this funny, but I try to play my chars as it intended. What that means, you may ask... well, choosing the dark side options for imps, or light for reps. At least for their story. The story that go to the lore. For the side quest, it seems it is a different story (or at least for the imps), because I was doing the same stuff for the side quest (choosing the dark side options as imps), but I had noticed, that most of outcome (playing opposite side, whose frame time is after that quest) show me, that I should chose the light side. Example for Quesh story. I will put it in spoiler code, but if you played with your shadow, then you played in the time, after imp's chars.
But check this, after initial play, with that style, I made another inquisitor, and try different path, but still choosing the dark side options in side quest, making him go dark side (For me the sith is a sect of dark force users, so it absurd for the light side sith, but dark side =/= evil, buuuut... it ends that way xD. Same for the jedi, but it more appropriate for the dark jedi, because jedi trying to reach something unreachable and he ends up being the thing he trying to destroy, but that philosophy.), But guess what, as I experimenting, making him to be lethargic (that how I view choosing the different path), new dark side choices poped up xD. So I choose the light side options, where I save imps or something what would your loyal BH would choose. But, at the end, expecting to get Darth Imperius name, as I had chosen loyal choices, I get, AGAIN, Darth Nox ( I hope this isn't a big spoiler, you get a new name, as Darth Vader, Darth Tyrannus...), but it seems it depends of your light/dark side alignment, and I had him full dark, like my first inquisitor. I must say, for me, inquisitor story was the best. As BH, I can say that your story is more involved with the Empire, then inquisitor's, he only looks for his power, ignoring Empire's struggles (expect when you do side quest). Inquisitor is so sith.
Just like you see in trailer.

Only trailer where you fight with your own. So when I said, I have chosen to save imps, it really was, not kill them.

One thing that is good with low lvls is price of pulling the mods from the gear. Your smuggler looks cool. And saying that you really make the effort and putted some creativity in their look, make me curios to see all, so I expecting more then 1 pic per post. :p
By the way, I'm from Europe, and I play on European servers, but I have 2 chars on American server (Jedi Covenant), and I noticed that price on gtn, for some stuff goes even 10x cheaper then on European servers. You have chars there? I'm sorry that I didn't start playing on US servers. xD

Inventor
#21 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 10:34 AM Last edited by Axe Gaijin : 21st Aug 2014 at 11:25 AM.
My smuggler Bix is inspired by the classic Star Trek characters of Harcourt Mudd and Cyrano Jones. As such I wanted a flamboyant dress style for him, the basic look came together rather quickly with details like the belt and boots completing the look later on. I also always joke that he looks like a cross between Ron Jeremy and Charles Bronson.

Strongholds, then....

Nadia is contemplating life, looking at the Nar Shaddaa skyline

Haven't done that much with it mostly because doing it on 5 servers is very very very time consuming
I have unlocked all 9 rooms on Shadowlands though, through a combination of credits and CC. I also was very weak willed and bought two hypercrates and the pack with the cargo locker and GTN. Now I have a room in my stronghold where I can access my mail, legacy locker, cargo locker and GTN without moving :D

I got some sweet stuff from the Hypercrates too, not feeling that guilty now, already account unlocked the Advanced Slicer and Mantelian Privateer sets. I'm only missing the pants to get the full Exar Kun set and I got the new Walkhar Auspice mount. Plus a bunch of more stuff that will fetch a great price on the GTN in the weeks to come.

This is supposed to look like me:

I have one for each class, this is my Smuggler Alac on Red Eclips.

Test Subject
#22 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Dambi : 24th Aug 2014 at 8:04 AM.
I love Star Trek, but I had to use google to check those characters. Long time since I watched Star Trek, the original series.

I must say, unlocking those rooms on Nar Shaddaa is too expansive. For one stairway 250k.
I haven't use CC, I had the credits, but it made me almost broke, to unlock all (DK, C & NS). I wasn't planing to buy homestead, but even if I did, I couldn't. xD
I hope you didn't buy hypercrates for mail, legacy, cargo, regular cargo etc... because, you get most of those with quest, and other you can buy with prefarbs. That how I got it, even galactic kiosk. Hope you got some cool decoration, like those Selkath's chairs, they looks great. I must say, all Selkath's stuff looks great. I f you haven't, you should play with your shadow, that new tactical fp. The facility where it takes place, looks amazing. I didn't decorated yet, till I get all the stuff I want. Only dropped all of this utility in one room, so nothing for bragging now. ..oh wait, maybe a guild ship?

We're conquering Voss, as you can see.

btw Advanced Slicer and Mantelian Privateer sets are only recolored, and I'm very disappointed to see class gear in cc packs. Hate to see jedi in sith gear and vice versa. And now even from character in the game, Satele Shan.

Test Subject
#23 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 5:13 PM Last edited by Dambi : 10th Sep 2014 at 11:11 PM.
I have decorated a little. Not much, I have idea how it should be (or something like that ), and I'm missing some stuff, and some are not in the game yet, but I'm hopping it will be. Like stuff for my garage, rugs to be exactly. I have putted some technical stuff there, so I need something specifically for the floor that goes with it. Anyway, here are some pic of it.
Entrance lobby :

Garage:

Work in progress...