Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 11:14 AM
Default CC Gameplay/Game Question
Hey Everyone of the Mod The Sims Community,
So I'm planning on resetting my PC to Factory settings due to a lot of bad CC, but I'm still going to install SOME CC after I reset it and get my game working again with All my Expansion/Stuff Packs (If it is required, I have every expansion and almost every stuff pack).
So Basically I'm going to get some, only from creators I know I can trust, here is a list if required:
PixiCat (Tumblr)
Anubis Under the Sun / Anubis360 (Tumblr)
Valeocatty (Tumblr)
IfcaSims (Tumblr)
BrntWaffles (Tumblr)
NightCrawler (TSR)
Ade_Drama (TSR)
Cazy (TSR)
Anto (TSR)
Leah_Lillth (TSR)
SketchBookPixels (Wix)
PralineSims (TSR)
S-Club (TSR)
A few other odd ones but those are the main ones I am most likely going to use (since I like to plan ahead with what CC I want)
Are any of these creators unsafe/corrupt, and if so, how to I manage to make sure its all safe aside from Virus Scanning. I am just very wary of all this as I want ANY corrupt stuff. Any programs/help you could give me??
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 12:08 PM
Why do you want to reset your PC because of cc? Wouldn't it be sufficient to uninstall the cc, set up a new game folder and start a new save? Provided you made backups of all your store stuff and any cc you might want to keep (also, saved sims etc).

Also, non of these creators is explicitly safe/unsafe. When using cc the most important thing is to make sure the patch levels and prerequisites are met. Do you have all expansions required for a specific piece of cc? Do you have the proper patch level? If not, don't install it.
Alchemist
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 12:32 PM
Since you can never be 100% sure of any creator - because even working files can get corrupted - I have a folder called "Quarantine" inside the Packages -folder. Whenever I download something new, I placed those cc into that quarantine folder. If they're working fine, I merge them with other cc and if not, I throw them into the trash bin. I never ever use the launcher for anything else except for the store content, patterns and cc counters, since counters don't work right if turned into package format. Dephy's Multi Installer and Dashboard are my best friends.

http://modthesims.info/d/387006
http://modthesims.info/d/364038

Here are somethings you can straight out avoid: http://sims3.crinrict.com/badcc/en/BadCC_Clothing.html
Alchemist
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 3:37 PM Last edited by sweetdevil : 2nd Jan 2017 at 8:06 PM.
None of the creators you mentioned are shady, but you may want to use CC by Leah Lillith sparingly, as it has a very high polycount (that's why it looks so smooth!) and may cause performance issues if you have too many accessories by her on Sims.

Most of the dubious creations you'll come across are from way back when TS3 had just come out, and the creators who made them have long since retired. RoseSims, for example, has some neat CAS items but some are either badly categorized (enabled for ages they shouldn't be) or poorly textured. Original Peggyzone hairs have very dark roots, but you should be fine with retextures (some people even fix wonky bone assignments!).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:57 PM
agreed with those above

certainly don't burn down a house because of a spider in the bedroom

Fresh starts are sometimes fun. I keep a cc blog and a usb of my mods folder and save backups so when I do start over, which is often, it isn't a headache
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Why do you want to reset your PC because of cc? Wouldn't it be sufficient to uninstall the cc, set up a new game folder and start a new save? Provided you made backups of all your store stuff and any cc you might want to keep (also, saved sims etc).

Also, non of these creators is explicitly safe/unsafe. When using cc the most important thing is to make sure the patch levels and prerequisites are met. Do you have all expansions required for a specific piece of cc? Do you have the proper patch level? If not, don't install it.

As illogical as it may sound, I just wish to completely reset my whole game, I have backed up my games etc, but I installed so much horrible CC from the exchange, it just be easier to start fresh, yes. But may you say, how would I set up a new game folder? Do I name it Sims 3 (backup) and so it creates a new game, new everything? Like, completely ditches all this horrible CC I have so I just keep all my expansions and just reinstall my store content? Does it work the Same with the Sims 4? Just send me a guide (if there is one) if it's easier. I'm the biggest Sims noob these days, so I honestly dont have a clue how to do anything an more.
I feel so stupid right now oh my gosh >.<
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 12:41 PM Last edited by Vincent T. : 3rd Jan 2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added some typos.
No reason to feel stupid You came here to have some views. I strongly recommend to go through the Game Help section of the simswiki. There are a lot of useful hints how to prevent issues or solve them if they pop up.

For removing cc and starting a clean folder, step 3 in this guide would be the most helpful.

By renaming that folder you remove ALL your game customizing - saves, mods, cc, custom patterns and presets, sims, lots in the game bin, installed worlds, options, just anything. Upon restart the game will create a new Sims 3 folder with only the default files.

The old (renamed) folder is still available in case you would need to restore the old configuration. If everything works fine, you can delete it (or back it up).

Another very helpful guide how to uninstall sims3packs is on Crinrict's page here.

If you want to re-add cc, there are some things you can take care of (in addition to what was already mentioned above):

Rigfixing: If the cc is old, like pre-pets (2011, patch 1.26), and the creator did not state otherwise, it needs to be rigfixed. EA changed the way some things work and that broke a lot of custom content. Try this link for a start.
Another guide can be found here.

Use Custard before installing cc. It allows you to "peek" into the sims3pack and see what is included. A lot of cc is installed e.g. with sims or lots which you might not be aware of. It's also by Delphy here.

For package files, use the Delphy's Dashboard here to check them. A very good guide is again on Crinrict's blog. This tool is perfect for finding corrupted TXTCs and fix them.

On the long run, you might want to consider to convert most of your cc into package files. They are easily handled and allow some manual fixes. Also they allow a much better control of what you put in your game.

Can't help you with Sims 4, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 12:28 AM Last edited by Zahrra : 4th Jan 2017 at 1:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
No reason to feel stupid You came here to have some views. I strongly recommend to go through the Game Help section of the simswiki. There are a lot of useful hints how to prevent issues or solve them if they pop up.

For removing cc and starting a clean folder, step 3 in this guide would be the most helpful.

By renaming that folder you remove ALL your game customizing - saves, mods, cc, custom patterns and presets, sims, lots in the game bin, installed worlds, options, just anything. Upon restart the game will create a new Sims 3 folder with only the default files.

The old (renamed) folder is still available in case you would need to restore the old configuration. If everything works fine, you can delete it (or back it up).

Another very helpful guide how to uninstall sims3packs is on Crinrict's page here.

If you want to re-add cc, there are some things you can take care of (in addition to what was already mentioned above):

Rigfixing: If the cc is old, like pre-pets (2011, patch 1.26), and the creator did not state otherwise, it needs to be rigfixed. EA changed the way some things work and that broke a lot of custom content. Try this link for a start.
Another guide can be found here.

Use Custard before installing cc. It allows you to "peek" into the sims3pack and see what is included. A lot of cc is installed e.g. with sims or lots which you might not be aware of. It's also by Delphy here.

For package files, use the Delphy's Dashboard here to check them. A very good guide is again on Crinrict's blog. This tool is perfect for finding corrupted TXTCs and fix them.

On the long run, you might want to consider to convert most of your cc into package files. They are easily handled and allow some manual fixes. Also they allow a much better control of what you put in your game.

Can't help you with Sims 4, sorry.

I ended up fixing my Sims 4 with recreating the files, like renaming it to Sims 4 Backup, so I'll try the same with the Sims 3. Thank you very much (:
Edit: AAA IT WORKED. I owe it to you, you saved my life (and $400 for the first plan of purchasing a new PC)
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 7:24 AM
Glad to hear it worked ;-)