Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 4:11 AM
Default gem cutting?
So I've been one to collect the gems before but I decided to try my hand at collecting things with a particular sim to spice things up. I noticed that I could get my gems cut for a particular price and stuff, so I clicked on all of them to do so.

Do I get these back at all? I mean, it's been a while since I sent them to the gemcutter to get them cut. So long that the spot that spawned the gems (it's just outside my sim's backyard) has respawned two gemstones.

I looked it up on the wikia and you get all kinds of cool cuts and stuff. Do I have to go somewhere to get these?

Sorry if this is such a simple question, but I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere as to when/where I get those cut gems back.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 5:54 AM
The cut gems should just be returned in the mail a few days after you sent them off to get cut. Not sure of the exact length of time it takes but it isn't very long.

The other cuts are available once you cut a certain number of the other cuts, so just keep sending them and eventually the other cuts will be available. I think the heart shape cut is only available once the sim has collected a certain number of gems.

Here is the info you want:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...elp:Sims_3_Gems
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 7:31 AM
I've noticed this too. It seemed to take forever to get them back, and I'm not sure if I actually ever did. So I ended up playing and forgetting about the gems. Never got them, and have moved on to a different family. I don't like collecting things anyway. Unless its stolen :P
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ne14gzus93
I've noticed this too. It seemed to take forever to get them back, and I'm not sure if I actually ever did.

That's odd. I've sent many times a large amounts of gems through mail and it has never taken a longer than a day to get them back. Maybe it varies, I don't know, but in my game the jewels come back the next day.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 2:02 PM
You have to actually click on the mailbox and take in the mail :p
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 2:09 PM
You can cut the three screws at this level already, do not cut all the gems. Be sure to cut them one at a time: If you set the cut three at once recognized that in the cup.Yes the gem quests require you to cut 3 gems of the level that the quest is for. So you will need to cut 3 level 75 gems for that quest.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by saeda
You have to actually click on the mailbox and take in the mail :p

At that point I was checking the mail daily, cause I had just gotten TS3 and yea, I was in "oh i'm going to play like real life for once instead of cheating & torturing" But I seriously never recieved anything other than bills. :/
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 12:45 AM
i got my gems back after a day or 2, i cut an emerald, emerald cut, and something else emerald cut, but i cant figure out why one would do this. it just sorta seemed like the thing to do...

now kleptoing, i cant figure that out, i'm going to need to go look that up and figure out what i'm doing wrong
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by somethingelse
i got my gems back after a day or 2, i cut an emerald, emerald cut, and something else emerald cut, but i cant figure out why one would do this. it just sorta seemed like the thing to do...

Because they have to be cut in order to create new stuff with the display case, like skull cut. Sorry if you meant something else by that.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 5:11 PM
OOOHHH! so if i buy a display case i can display them or sumthin?

i only have sims3 deulux, ya know, base game and ambitions, but i'll check that out
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by somethingelse
OOOHHH! so if i buy a display case i can display them or sumthin?

i only have sims3 deulux, ya know, base game and ambitions, but i'll check that out

There are guides for this online, but in order to get the skull cut you have to fill up a display case with different types of cut gems and then transmogrify them and hope you get lucky.

Although I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that you need to have unlocked the heart-shaped cut first before you'll get the skull cut. You get this by finding 10 unique gems in the world on one sim, and yes it counts the gems in France, Egypt, and China towards the total.

If you weren't looking to spend so much time transmogrifying to get the skull cut, you might still want to find enough gems to enable the spire cut tiberium. You cut it for 6,500 and then you can sell it for 40,000+.

I never cared much about the gems either but one of my sims wanted to make a simbot so I had to look into all this stuff :P
Alchemist
#12 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 5:40 PM
If you get 5 different cuts of the same gem, they will transmogrify into a skull cut of that gem. You don't need the heart shape cut first.
Here's info on transfiguration:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Transfiguration

ETA: you do need WA, I think, to get the display case to transfigure things on.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 4:18 AM
it's all good, i'm just playing as it goes