Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 1:33 PM
Small object not placeable on shelves with small slots despite OBJD edit
I'm making some changes to the Canning Station from the EA Store. One of the things I'd like to do is to fix the fact that the craftable jam jars don't fit on most shelves, even though they're pretty small. They do not snap to any slots on the WA, UL, GEN shelves that are so often used for collectibles. I haven't tested every shelf in the game, but even on Lisen801's awesome Collector's Shelf which works for essentially everything, the jars cannot be placed in some slots, creating unsightly gaps in the display.

SlotPlacementFlags is set to Medium by default, so I changed it to Small and Decorative (None is set to false). That made the canning jars sit closer together on kitchen counters in some positions, but did not change the shelf problem. I even checked the slots on some of the shelves to make sure that they're enabled for small and/or decorative objects.

The jars vary in appearance depending on the fruit used, so it's really a shame that displaying them is cumbersome. Using MOO is not ideal since the sims interact with them.

What can be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. I can upload the canning jar object if need be. Thanks!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 2:55 PM
It might be because the object self is just too big to place on the shelf. EA made objects (or actually called decor) to not be able to place them on the shelf, small objects, bigger objects. They did this to make sure that objects that actually doesn't fit a shelf (like this really big jar plant from World adventures for example), because else this jar plant would have gone straight through the ceiling and that's not the way a plant grows... so far I know. So that's why EA did make this option on their objects.
Maybe the reason why this isn't working could be also because it is a store item? Like I discussed here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...1&goto=lastpost
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:38 PM
The jar is pretty small, about the size of the Mood-Lite candle, which fits everywhere. Furthermore, it fits on CC shelves of similar size (but not every slot, as stated in the OP). So size seems like an unlikely issue. I edited the slot placement flags in S3PE, not TSRW, so I'm not sure how being a store item (as per your link) is causing this. Furthermore, this is a problem with it not fitting on shelves in-game, not while editing the mesh etc. Maybe I'm just being dumb?

I got the idea to see if the FTPT is really large or something (I don't know much about object creation, but it seemed like a possible venue), but it looks about the same as that of the Mood-Lite candle.

What am I missing?
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
The jar is pretty small, about the size of the Mood-Lite candle, which fits everywhere. Furthermore, it fits on CC shelves of similar size (but not every slot, as stated in the OP). So size seems like an unlikely issue. I edited the slot placement flags in S3PE, not TSRW, so I'm not sure how being a store item (as per your link) is causing this. Furthermore, this is a problem with it not fitting on shelves in-game, not while editing the mesh etc. Maybe I'm just being dumb?

I got the idea to see if the FTPT is really large or something (I don't know much about object creation, but it seemed like a possible venue), but it looks about the same as that of the Mood-Lite candle.

What am I missing?

Maybe you can use the Mood-lite candle as reference and (I've no idea if you are going to use TSRW or sjust s3pe, both probably does the same.) And replace all the important things like meshes and textures, then import it into the sims 3. This methode though could make it a default replacement of the reference you're using for this. You can change that by going to a objd and click the 'grid' somewhere at the bottom of S3PE. Expand 'commonBlock' and change it's name from mood-lite candle (or something like that) to... Jars, or whatever you like.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 9:58 PM
Thanks for this. I tried your idea and got some interesting results. I imported the jam jar's textures, MODL/MLOD, FTPT, RIG, and LITE into the Mood-Lite candle package. I left the VPXY alone so that the resource keys can stay the same. The candle has an RSLT file, which I left alone too, because the jar doesn't have one. In-game candles loaded the jam jar model but fit on the EA shelves!

So the only differences that I can discern between the candle and the jam jar are the OBJD, OBJK ,and the RSLT. Since the slot placement flags on the jar have already been edited to match the candle's, I tried adding the the candle's RSLT to the jar's package and VPXY. That didn't make it fit on the shelves. Changing the jar's script class to that of the candle didn't work either, but that's kinda expected.

I wonder if I'm adding the RSLT to the jar improperly. I'm using S3PE only, because TSRW doesn't work with store objects (I also tried importing the jar as a wavefront object after running it through Blender, but TSRW throws an "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error, even after I renamed the mesh groups in Blender).
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 6:02 AM
Turns out the slot flags edit does work. I just had an unrelated problem that interfered with them. Oops.

Sorry for wasting you time... Thanks for your help!
Virtual gardener
#7 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
Turns out the slot flags edit does work. I just had an unrelated problem that interfered with them. Oops.

Sorry for wasting you time... Thanks for your help!

Oh no! It's allright! I'm glad you got it figured out! ^-^