Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 7:59 PM
Default Which is the best expansion pack?
I want to get an expansion pack for TS3, but I can only get 1 for the moment, because I dont have the money nor the hard drive space for all of them, plus I dont want to throw all that money if I dont even know how they are...

so I wonder, which is the best expansion to start with? like which adds more content or the best upgrades...I dont know...I want to hear your opinions
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:21 PM
I'd say, wait for generations, it comes out 31.5.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lightleggy
I want to get an expansion pack for TS3, but I can only get 1 for the moment, because I dont have the money nor the hard drive space for all of them, plus I dont want to throw all that money if I dont even know how they are...

so I wonder, which is the best expansion to start with? like which adds more content or the best upgrades...I dont know...I want to hear your opinions

There are a *BUNCH* of threads just like this on this site -- you might want to look for them with search to see a lot of other opinions.

For the record, I think Ambitions is my favorite, followed by LN and then WA.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:33 PM
Generations is going to be my favorite.
That'll change when Pets and Seasons come out of course.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lightleggy
which adds more content or the best upgrades

Ambitions adds more to the normal gameplay, by far, but the adventures in WA are easily the largest content addition (but the EP adds very little to normal living). LN is sort of in between the two.

If you want content or upgrades it sounds like Generations is not something you'll want. It's more of a social/roleplay expansion.
Alchemist
#6 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 9:38 PM
2 votes for Ambitions
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 9:50 PM
Unless you enjoy doing the same thing again and again and again and again and again, dont get Ambitions since the "meat" of the EP is the Professions that play exactly like that, it gets old ... FAST, the only thing good about Ambitions is that it certainly sent the message people were NOT into Opportunity based gameplay and they ditched it for most part in LN.

WA suffers from a fatal flaw, the adventures do not reset so the moment a Sim complete it ... that is it as far that Sim neighborhood is concerned, so you can actually "finish" the game in the more common sense of the word as you run out of Adventures.

I prefer LN since it adds things for Sims to do if they want to, Ambitions Professions is like being a Chinese MMO Gold Farmer (doing the same thing ad nauseum) as WA have too many critical design flaws.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 5:25 AM
Honestly, it really depends on what you want to do.

Late Night is all about partying and having fun.

Ambitions is about the professions: go to work with your Sims! Easily something that we've wanted since the first game.

World Adventures is all about the traveling and exploring. It's not a vacation, it's tomb exploring. Of course, you can always ignore the opportunities board and just do whatever you want with your time while in France, Egypt, and China, but, honestly, I love the tombs.

Late Night contains a lot of content: lots of party clothes/shoes, stages, furniture, etc., etc.

Ambitions contains some content, but it's mostly about what you can do with your Sims, not what you can put on them or in their houses. However, there are some gorgeous wicker seats that I absolutely love and put in pretty much every single one of my homes that you can only get from Ambitions. I seriously love that seat and I don't even know why.

World Adventures gives you a lot of content, but most of it is locked away in buydebug, and most of it you don't really use on a day to day basis as it is. World Adventures is about exploring, not really about your Sims. Your Sims aren't the focal point; exploring with them is. WA, though, has these really cute shuttered windows that, again, I use in just about every home I build. I'd buy it again just for those shutters.

Then there's the newest EP that's coming out in May. Generations, from everything I read, is really all about beefing up each age group in their day to day lives, from pranks to social interactions to just about pretty much everything that you can think about. Parents can put their kids in time out, there's nothing better. I'm honestly not too sure about the content in this one, but you can look on the Generations thread for that.

So, really, every EP has its good and its bad. You need to figure out what exactly you want to do with your game in order to buy the right EP. Play the game for a few days and jot down ideas of what you'd like to have the game do. Do you want to go exploring or partying? Can you stand that your Sims have pretty much no emotional reaction to each other or do you want those extremely repetitive jobs because it's just one more thing for you to watch your Sim do and control.

Personally, I love WA. I didn't think I would like it at first, so I didn't play any adventures for the first month after I got it (yeah, I know, waste of money, but I'm a Sim junkie) but then I decided to try it and I had so much fun. I thought it was so cute to see my Sims struggle to move those heavy stone statues onto pressure plates and I loved to see them jump in excitement when they'd get a door open and I thought the mystery of everything was so cool. I still haven't played through all of the tombs. Then again, I still haven't played through all of the Sims Ambitions professions, either. I hate LN. I almost wish I hadn't bought it, but that's because I have a personal preference for staying at home. In my own life, I don't like to go out, and I don't like doing it for my Sim's, either. So, really, we can only give you insight into each EP and what we liked and disliked about each, but you have to figure out your own personal playing style before you can really go ahead and buy an EP. Since you can only get one, it's gotta be one you won't regret.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Instructor
#9 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 6:07 AM
"Best EP?" This is hardly an objective question. There aren't any standard metrics, so it boils down to what you like to do. Personally, I like WA and LN the best (I have all the EPs), but some people really do like the Professions that come with Ambitions.

LifesLover did a pretty good job of summarizing the EPs, but didn't say much about the building possibilities.

The OP hasn't stated if he likes to build lots. If he does, then this would probably change what the "best" EP is. From a strictly building point of view, LN is the best.

World Adventures lets you build a martial arts academy and nectary(winery) into your home world. You can also build your own underground tombs to place in the home world as well.

However, LN introduces bars and night clubs. It introduces condos (I don't call them apartments because TS3 doesn't have rent). LN also introduces three new musical instruments, hot tubs, a much better bar object, elevators, and half-walls, which add to the variety in lots.

If you can really only get one EP, my vote is LN. It adds quite a few build and buy mode objects, most of which can be used on residential lots.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 3:19 PM
wow this is so hard I really want the new professions in ambitions because I dont like that my sims have so few vocational choices that come with the base game...but I also want LN because of all the objects and stuff that comes with the game...
so far WA is the least appealing EP
Forum Resident
#11 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 3:25 PM
Well, here's the thing about Ambitions. They really are repetitive and although easy, they can get really difficult to manage if you have more than one Sim. I'd be juggling between the Sim at work and the Sims at home. My game would be on constant pause trying to handle it all.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 1:16 AM
I'd say a lot depends on your computer specs. People whose computers can barely run Sims 3 often have trouble with Late Night, because the Bridgeport Neighbourhood is a city, so huge and laggy. If you don't have much memory or a good enough processor, you'll have bars and nightclubs with only the sims who work there present. Whereas Ambitions can run pretty well on a lower spec computer.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, since you say you don't have enough hard drive space for all the EPs, which might go with an older computer...

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Well, here's the thing about Ambitions. They really are repetitive and although easy, they can get really difficult to manage if you have more than one Sim. I'd be juggling between the Sim at work and the Sims at home. My game would be on constant pause trying to handle it all.

Even if I never played a profession I wouldn't regret buying Ambitions. The inventing and sculpting skill, in addition to things like the trampoline, make for fun additions to gameplay. I also like the fact that I can send my sims to get their look changed and get a bunch of tattoos, and I use simbots as slaves to clean up and babysit. I don't find professions that hard. For instance in the Firefigher career, I basically set the sim to upgrade stuff and exercise and check back occasionally to see if their are any emergencies. For the investigator career, for the most part if I don't feel like looking at the sim all the time I click the button thing that pops up in the opportunity thing to send them where their supposed to be and go focus on another sim until my investigator is done with that step. Still, I think Late Night was the funnest EP so far in terms of crazy stuff to do.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 4:46 AM
For general Sims play Generations, looks quite cool. Although try AMB or Late Night, the both have there benefits, althoug WA is not worth it.

Experience a truly beautiful and unigue neighbourhoood http://gatescove.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 5:56 AM
"The next expansion pack is the best expansion pack"
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 6:21 AM
A part of me says "WA" that gives me Martial Art and tombs.

Yet, Late Night offers a bigger range of game play with a lot more content and building options (room markers, apartments, clubs)

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Scholar
#17 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 2:47 PM
For me, the best is Generations, although it isn't come out yet. But I'm sure of it...
But for now, the best is up to you :
If you like adventure, go get WA
If you like to do full control for your Sims, get Ambitions
If you like night life and such, take LN
If you don't like any of it, but want only minor additions for your game (such as basement tool, tattoo, and zodiac), patch your game...
Instructor
#18 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:32 PM
From what I've seen of Generations, I'm not too impressed. Then again, I'm not much of a family person and I don't really like children .__.

My order from favorite to least favorite:

1. Late Night: Vampires, clubs, and instruments. The small penthouses can be annoying, but living in the city is a nice change from the suburbs. Great expansion if your computer can run it smoothly.

2. Ambitions: Controlling more than one sim on the job can be a PITA. I remember when Sims 3 first came out and people were crying about the rabbit hole jobs. It was actually good idea. Can you imagine controlling 4 or 5 sims while they do mundane things at work?

3. World Adventures: Felt to "quest-y" for me. Tombs can be fun at first, but there's little replay value.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:43 PM
My favourite is definately Ambitions. I thought it would be Late Night, mainly because I had higher expections of it. Don't get me wrong Late Night is a great EP with apartments, bars, instruments etc, but I don't get as much replay value from it as I do from Ambitions. WA, for me, was fairly disappointing. I just don't get the urge to go to China or France just to go through tombs and do quests...

I have a feeling Generations will be my new favourite! So you might wanna wait until it comes out, just in case. But if Generations is my new favourite, it won't be for long, since the next EP should be pets! :D

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Forum Resident
#20 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 10:10 AM
Wait a little bit for Generations, I'm so excited.
Instructor
#21 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 7:29 PM
I'm thinking that if your computer is a bit slower, you should wait for generations.
Ambitions got really annoying, because I don't sculpt or invent and the professions are too hard to juggle. Trying to do 2 professions in one family was a nightmare.
Late Night is probably my favorite, because it added so much gameplay
World Adventures was pretty cool too, because I liked traveling and new recipes and beautiful furniture
I would wait for Generations if I were in your position, because generations does not add a new town and is more focused on adding gameplay than any other expansion.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 9:20 PM
Even if the careers are a bit annoying, there are some good things about ambitions. Like trampolines, they're cool. OOH! And the fog emitter; that has weather in it.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 2:27 AM
Even though there are about a million other threads like this - I'd say Late Night. Personally, it adds so much to the game that I just couldn't live without.

19 - Female - Australia
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 7:34 AM
I absolutely love WA and LN. However the stuff packs bring a lot of different clothing and hairs into the game which aren't that bad.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 1:22 PM
If I could only pick one, I'd pick Late Night because I love Bridgeport, glitchy as it is. I live in a big city and I love playing in a "big" city like Bridgeport. Huge penthouse apartments? Yes, please! World Adventures would be a second because I LOVE the relics... my Sims travel to go shopping! I don't love tomb exploring much because after you've done it once, I don't have much interest in doing it again.

I can barely think of what I really love about Ambitions. I guess being self-employed is cool and I like having nectar-making and writer Sims. But it's lackluster compared to LN or WA, IMHO.
Page 1 of 2