Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2014 at 2:34 AM Last edited by Retarded_Pig : 26th May 2014 at 2:50 AM.
Default Retarded_Pig's lil thread of help: V2
Hello! After having a long break from my project of converting a majority of pet beds from TS2, I've decided to continue.

I finished the beds, and I'm now moving onto the houses, which are a little harder. Everything was going smoothly until the Galactix Animal House needed two textures... How would I go about implementing this in TSRW? I've tried importing the textures directly to the mesh groups, as the two parts that need two textures are split in the mesh, but TSRW still only allows one texture.

I've also tried merging the two texture images together to make one big one, but I later found out that the UV-Map doesn't agree with that.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 3rd May 2014 at 2:42 AM
Duplicate a meshgroup.
Make a small edit tp the duplicate so you can unlink it from the copied one.
load a diffrent shader in the materials option.
Phong alpha for instance and load the texture setup tsrw has assigned to it(one of a existing object)
Then set shader back to phong without loading new texture setup.
delete the lines you dont need and load the texture of your choice(diffuse)
This meshgroup is unlinked from the castable part and not recolourable(texture it as overlay)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2014 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Duplicate a meshgroup.
Make a small edit tp the duplicate so you can unlink it from the copied one.
load a diffrent shader in the materials option.
Phong alpha for instance and load the texture setup tsrw has assigned to it(one of a existing object)
Then set shader back to phong without loading new texture setup.
delete the lines you dont need and load the texture of your choice(diffuse)
This meshgroup is unlinked from the castable part and not recolourable(texture it as overlay)

Thanks! Is it not possible to make it castable?
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 3rd May 2014 at 10:34 PM
only if you place evrything on one map
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2014 at 10:25 AM
only if you place evrything on one map

How would I go about doing this? I did try putting everything on one map, but the when trying to place parts of the map in blender the islands don't shrink along with the image.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 4th May 2014 at 1:10 PM
place the 2 textures on one texture and apply it as material on your mesh in Blender or Milkshape.
Vist the texture UVcoordinater and move/scale the meshcoordinates till they fit the textures again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2014 at 5:59 PM
place the 2 textures on one texture and apply it as material on your mesh in Blender or Milkshape.
Vist the texture UVcoordinater and move/scale the meshcoordinates till they fit the textures again.

I did this and exported the mesh, however, I tried to import the mesh back into the workshop and it gave me this error message:
"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 7th May 2014 at 4:39 PM
maybe the coordinates were to close to the edge of the map?
You need to stay away 2 or 3 pixels
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th May 2014 at 7:00 PM
maybe the coordinates were to close to the edge of the map?
You need to stay away 2 or 3 pixels

Well I moved all of the islands that were a little too close to the edge (Like two pixels) and there are now no islands beyond three pixels from the edge, and TSR workshop still throws the error. I'll upload the mesh, if you'd like to see.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ts3finished.zip (50.4 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th May 2014 at 10:10 PM
Hate to double post, but do you have any suggestions?
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 12th May 2014 at 10:56 PM
uhm, i cloned a statue, copied group1 2 times so i had 4 groups total and your obj file imports just fine.
I exported the mesh as WSO file, maybe you can import that one without problems?
Am using version 2.06 btw
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  01.7z (35.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th May 2014 at 5:04 PM
uhm, i cloned a statue, copied group1 2 times so i had 4 groups total and your obj file imports just fine.
I exported the mesh as WSO file, maybe you can import that one without problems?
Am using version 2.06 btw

I had tried importing the mesh as a WSO file, but when viewing the bed ingame the added meshgroup was black. I'm using TSRW version 2.0.8, and it warns me when importing the WSO version, saying:

"This object uses vertexdecleration with a usageindex that is non-zero, this means that when exporting/importing this mesh the normalmap data and possibly other data will be lost. This will probably result in an object that does not look ingame."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd May 2014 at 5:10 PM Last edited by Retarded_Pig : 26th May 2014 at 2:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Retarded_Pig
I had tried importing the mesh as a WSO file, but when viewing the bed ingame the added meshgroup was black. I'm using TSRW version 2.0.8, and it warns me when importing the WSO version, saying:

"This object uses vertexdecleration with a usageindex that is non-zero, this means that when exporting/importing this mesh the normalmap data and possibly other data will be lost. This will probably result in an object that does not look ingame."

I recently came back and tried out an idea I had, merging the two groups into one instead of having an additional one... Didn't work
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th May 2014 at 2:49 AM
Hello again, after receiving no reply yet I thought I'd move onto testing other things out for the sake of my knowledge. I'm trying to create a plane in the shape of a cylinder, that the game will render a texture on both sides of. Is the unclosed cylinder in Milkshape the correct option?
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 26th May 2014 at 11:25 AM
like i said earlier, i have no problems importing the mesh.
you can use the cilinder, pretty sure it is uvmapped altho you might want to scale the coordinates a bit smaller.(they need to be away from the edge of the map for 2 to 3 pixels)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th May 2014 at 1:47 AM
like i said earlier, i have no problems importing the mesh.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in one of my last posts-I meant that the added meshgroup appeared black ingame, but it looks okay for me in TSRW too.

you can use the cilinder, pretty sure it is uvmapped altho you might want to scale the coordinates a bit smaller.(they need to be away from the edge of the map for 2 to 3 pixels)

But when viewing a simple test mesh of the cylinder UVmapped in TSRW, the texture only appeared on the outer side of the cylinder, not inside too:

(I only mapped the texture onto 3 or 4 faces of the outer cylinder, but shouldn't it still appear in 3 or 4 faces inside the cylinder anyway?)
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 27th May 2014 at 2:51 AM
if you want inside textures you have to mesh a inside cilinder aswell.
Or, just copy the existing(select it faces, then choose duplicate from the menu)
The duplicate is autoselected, then choose reverse vertex order from the vertex menu.(it will flip its faces inside out.)
Alligne the normals.

Seems to me you duplicated the meshgroup of the groundshadow.
The mesh will become black then.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th May 2014 at 2:23 PM
if you want inside textures you have to mesh a inside cilinder aswell.
Or, just copy the existing(select it faces, then choose duplicate from the menu)
The duplicate is autoselected, then choose reverse vertex order from the vertex menu.(it will flip its faces inside out.)
Alligne the normals.

I couldn't find "reverse vetices", so I chose "reverse normals" instead. And by allign the normals, I'm assuming you meant recalculate the inner and outer mesh? Sorry, I feel really stupid at times. Anyway, I think I went wrong somewhere as the cylinder now has strange shading: (When selecting the phong alpha shader again too it deleted my UVmap info)

By looking at the image, I bet you can tell too that the texture in the background in being rendered in front of the texture in the foreground... It's like the pet dish all over again.
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:30 AM
that is a result of the phong alpha shader, change it to phong without updating its default settings.
If that doesn't work you might want to try giving the inner mesh its own group in tsrw(i assume you regrouped it with the outer mesh now?)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 2:13 PM
that is a result of the phong alpha shader, change it to phong without updating its default settings.

I tried that, but then the other faces do not show through the foreground faces.

If that doesn't work you might want to try giving the inner mesh its own group in tsrw(i assume you regrouped it with the outer mesh now?)

Yes I did, so how would I go about doing that?
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 1:45 AM
Then you are forced to use the phong alpha shader....

You right click the group(were the outer layer is in) in tsrw's meshtab and choose duplicate.
In these cases i think the group order determines the opacity of the diffrent meshlayers.
So load the outer layer in one group and the inner layer in the next, try to switch the meshes if it doesn't work.