Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rubric Wrangler
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 1:47 PM
Default My traditional animation
Hi MTS! I thought I'd post my first ever hand-drawn animation. Okay, first one that's good enough to be seen by anyone other than me. It's a run cycle of an Oryx (a kind of antelope), though I haven't added the horns yet. This is a very, very rough pencil test, not inked or painted yet.

It's 18 frames at 24 FPS (the frame count only goes to 12 here, but that's just 'cause not all the frames are counted), done in Photoshop CS5 with a Wacom Intuos3. The tail animation gave me a lot of grief, it's overly exaggerated right now and I still don't think it lines up with the gait exactly. I welcome constructive criticism!

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 2:26 PM
That looks lovely.
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th Dec 2011 at 8:56 PM
That is really cool. I like making animations but that is awesome beyond...um...awesome. =D

DER:/My Brain/Empty.exe
Rubric Wrangler
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Dec 2011 at 2:18 PM
Thank you both! :D

simblr
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 9:55 AM
I think you should slow it down a bit if your adding text,If not then it's perfect !
Inventor
#6 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 9:08 PM
Well done Pharaoh A lot of people have difficulty drawing limbs correctly, so I think you've done exceedingly well with the gait animation. I think you're correct that there's something not quite right with the tail - it is a little exaggerated, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. It's difficult to tell at the current speed, but I'm wondering if there's not something wrong with the mid-tail section itself and how it sits in relation to the animal? I think maybe it shouldn't arch quite the way you have it, but as I say, I'm not sure.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Rubric Wrangler
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 12:32 PM
abosh The text that's there now is personal reference for me when I'm animating, and there will be no text added later. Thanks!

longears Thank you so much. I agree that there's something wrong with the mid-section of the tail, after looking at it again I think it's being carried to high to begin with. I need some better RL reference, the video I used for reference was taken from a very strange angle that doesn't show the level of the tail.

simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 7:37 AM
That is really well done, hun. I wish I could do something like that. But alas, my efforts would shun me. But I must you did a mighty fine job

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Inventor
#9 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
longears Thank you so much. I agree that there's something wrong with the mid-section of the tail, after looking at it again I think it's being carried to high to begin with. I need some better RL reference, the video I used for reference was taken from a very strange angle that doesn't show the level of the tail.

You're welcome - and I think you're right. It's not quite being carried in quite the right place. Just to add to your grief - depending on just how much you are trying to perfect - I think the movement of the brush is not quite as fluid as it could be either. Blocking out the tail though, I think you've got it spot on - the head and leg movements all flow beautifully

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Rubric Wrangler
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 2:14 AM
Nevermore Raven (love your username Thank you so much!

longears Yeah, the brush is dreadful. The current tail is a do-over, it was drawn after the gait. The "stand-in" tail I initially drew without reference had a lovely flowing brush, but it just didn't match the gait, so I scrapped it. I'm really glad you like the rest of the animation, traditional animation and Disney films are great passions of mine, and doing this has been a nice change from the still art and graphic design I'm accustomed to. I have finally found some decent reference video, now all I need to find is free time to work on it...

simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
Nevermore Raven (love your username Thank you so much!

longears Yeah, the brush is dreadful. The current tail is a do-over, it was drawn after the gait. The "stand-in" tail I initially drew without reference had a lovely flowing brush, but it just didn't match the gait, so I scrapped it. I'm really glad you like the rest of the animation, traditional animation and Disney films are great passions of mine, and doing this has been a nice change from the still art and graphic design I'm accustomed to. I have finally found some decent reference video, now all I need to find is free time to work on it...

No need to thank me. I appreciate all sorts of art. And if I could do this...Well, ahem yeah I can't -.-" Believe me I have tried, and it came out like really really bad. I love animations, and yours' its amazing ^.^

And oh my gosh, I got my Username because of my favorite Poet. Edgar Allen Poe, "The Raven". Edgar Allen Poe is the shizz! And thank you for the compliment on my username ^.^

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 5:27 PM
Really cool, I wish I could do animations like that!
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 9:26 AM
Haahahahahah this is what i wish i can do
Rubric Wrangler
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 9:32 PM

New animation, this one done pen and paper rather than digital. Very, very rough, much more so than the oryx (which has been shelved due to that damn tail). Not tweened at all. This doesn't loop, so if you don't see animation try this link.

simblr