Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#176 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 2:26 PM
Im still in summer mode for all 4 seasons so I havent had to worry about outerwear yet. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Follow along with the residents of Tesime on the Test of Time Challenge http://www.simslifeandtimes.blogspot.com/
Tesime Family Tree
Advertisement
Test Subject
#177 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 7:31 PM
lizz2034, I don't know what era you're in, but this site is helpful for the later ones (not that I'm anywhere near those yet)

http://www.all-about-style.com/themes.html

Then, there's

http://www.parsimonious.org/fashion...131639693.shtml

You might end up having to add everyday clothes to outerwear in bodyshop.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#178 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 2:16 PM
Oh I cant wait to get to these fabulous styles of dress ! Great links tigerygurl.

Follow along with the residents of Tesime on the Test of Time Challenge http://www.simslifeandtimes.blogspot.com/
Tesime Family Tree
Lab Assistant
#179 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 7:00 PM
OMG, this challenge sounds so cool. I´m definitely going to try this! (when I've finished reading all about it, and I think that will take a while...)
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floor1304
OMG, this challenge sounds so cool. I´m definitely going to try this! (when I've finished reading all about it, and I think that will take a while...)

Try just reading the general information and the stuff on the Neanderthal stage. Once you get going and are close to moving on, then read the Roman stage rules.

My Test of Time Website! The Sims 2: A Test of Time
(still a WIP!)
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:16 PM
Default oh well
Quote: Originally posted by tigerygurl
lizz2034, I don't know what era you're in....

You might end up having to add everyday clothes to outerwear in bodyshop.

Unfortunately, I went to those sites before I asked in here. And they don't have much if any outdoor wear for most historical stages, and they definitely don't have any for teen males. I just downloaded the wardrobe wrangler last night and I've never really used bodyshop before, but I'm excited to learn. That's one area of sim playing that I haven't touched on yet.
Lab Assistant
#182 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floor1304

I agree with Sandyjs. You can read what other stages there are, but don't read the details of each stage just yet. I skimmed over the Roman Stage before I started the Neanderthal era just to know what types of things I was getting into, but don't worry about the rest.
I'm glad you're joining us! This challenge is so much fun, no matter how you play it!
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:37 PM
Default Adopting kids
Quote: Originally posted by starboyjuice
Also! I wanted to add that I've had to add small 3x3 shacks to the properties after a couple harvests. The sunstroke was making me lose entire second generation children groupings to Social services. which is Extremely Un-Neanderthal. lol I have one family that lost 5 kids to social services, and aside from their eldest teen son, it was craptastic, i had them start over once the shack was built and it seemed to solve all future fainting spell social service problems. I'm going to be kind of bummed about it,as they had a daughter i was rather fond of! and they ended up with 4 sons on top of the lost 5 children, before mama died. ah well! that brings me to a probably dumb question.

Where do kids taken away go? they remain on the family trees, and relationship screens, but i wonder can they be adopted? likely not?

The thing that annoys me is that they only remain on the family tree until their adopted by someone else, then they're added to their new family's tree as if they are related to them. I found this out with the very first child i lost to social services. I had my other african family adopt her so it wasn't a big deal, but it was annoying because she eventually married her own brother (from her original family) and i knew they were related even though the game didn't recognize them as such.
Test Subject
#184 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:52 PM
Lizz2034, sorry there weren't any male teen historical outwear If you do try Bodyshop, good luck!

Quote: Originally posted by lizz2034
The thing that annoys me is that they only remain on the family tree until their adopted by someone else, then they're added to their new family's tree as if they are related to them. I found this out with the very first child i lost to social services. I had my other african family adopt her so it wasn't a big deal, but it was annoying because she eventually married her own brother (from her original family) and i knew they were related even though the game didn't recognize them as such.

Lizz2034, I've only had two sims taken by the social worker, and that they're still on the family tree annoys me too. So, I decided to pretend that the family wasn't sure what happened to their children, and that's why they think they're still alive (they're hoping their kids are well and will come back to them (though we all know they won't)). Pretending has helped me a lot in this challenge. :D

I decided to make a lil' website for my challenge! ('cause I copy the cool kids). Here's the link if you're interested, it's unfinished and lacking pics (so you can ignore that) http://testoftimetigerystyle.weebly.com/
Lab Assistant
#185 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 9:46 AM Last edited by floor1304 : 1st Aug 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm just going to start it right now!

Edit: I've started the challenge and it's so much fun! The first child of the second generation is born! I've posted the photo's on my site, like everyone here does. This is the link: http://lifesachallenge.weebly.com/
Test Subject
#186 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 12:24 AM
So I lost all of my progress I went to install free time and some stuff packs I didn't have and ended up having to reinstall all of the expansions and stuff packs. Oh well, I'm hoping to restart tonite or tomorrow as I'll be off work. I did get a weebly site started but will have to restart my simmies before I have anything to add lol. Can't wait, I've decided to change some things I had started too, and will use ladybugs so I don't have any more plant sims. Does anyone know how many plots the lady bugs cover?
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 11:40 AM
What a bummer! I'm finally nearing the end of round 4 with gen 2 teenagers so I'll be updating my weebly site soon with those updates.

(still a WIP!)
Lab Assistant
#188 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cksmith91
..... Can't wait, I've decided to change some things I had started too, and will use ladybugs so I don't have any more plant sims. Does anyone know how many plots the lady bugs cover?

Whoa, What?! The ladybugs actually have a purpose?
Mad Poster
#189 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 4:06 AM
Yes! The ladybugs are there to eat the bad bugs so you don't have to spray. This is why I have a bunch of dedicated gardeners and no plantsims, apparently. They don't seem too effective against tree bugs, but I've found that there's a limited window for tending and spraying trees, and if you miss that window for spraying, the tree is likely to get itself healthy again pretty soon. At least, when there's a ladybug house around. I've had ladybug houses and compost heaps from day one (I'm an organic gardener IRL, too, insofar as I garden at all), so I've been sitting here wondering why y'all didn't automatically put them in.

The "no fertilizing" rule is bogus by historical analogy, btw. Virgin soil is the very best, and compost (well, manure/the slopheap; same thing) was the first fertilizer. Well; maybe crop rotation was.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#190 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 11:04 AM
Quote:
Does anyone know how many plots the lady bugs cover?

Yes! It covers one plot. I use them all the time.

I am just here to answer easy questions others ignore.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique.
Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Mad Poster
#191 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 3:43 PM
One plot? Surely not. I've never had a bug problem for more than an hour and I only have multiple ladybug houses when the garden is split up with trees and garden on opposite sides of the lot. I've got some sizable gardens, too. But I have no idea how much coverage they're supposed to supply; I always figured I'd buy a second one when the garden started getting buggy. The Hawkinses have, let's see, six or seven plots with a scarecrow and the ladybug house in the middle; probably the farthest plot the ladybugs have to cover is three spaces away.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#192 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 10:48 AM
I've started getting teenagers now on my lots which is making some of them quite crowded. I picked up AL on the first and thought perhaps I'd use some Hobbit holes as apartments for the extras teens. Do you folks think those would fit in with the Neanderthal theme? I do want to increase the number of families I'm playing for Gen 2 but I still want to keep them under control Any thoughts or suggestions?

(still a WIP!)
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 6:44 AM
Default teens on their own lots
Quote: Originally posted by SandyJS
I've started getting teenagers now on my lots which is making some of them quite crowded. I picked up AL on the first and thought perhaps I'd use some Hobbit holes as apartments for the extras teens. Do you folks think those would fit in with the Neanderthal theme? I do want to increase the number of families I'm playing for Gen 2 but I still want to keep them under control Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any way to play with teens is game, I say, because teens back then were adults and able to procreate. I sometimes kept them in the family if I had room, or needed the extra help for the toddlers. I've only recently started moving teens out and into lots with their love interests, or with their other teen siblings. About inheriting money....I'm not a stickler about it unless the sim is male or if there is only a couple that I know I will marry off on the lot. If there are sims from more than one family who won't necessarily marry eachother or are not siblings, than I just let them live off of what money they can produce with a modest home until I reset each of their simoleans with a cheat when the time comes to move them out onto their own lots.
Mad Poster
#194 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 12:32 PM
I've seen somebody's ToT challenge blog with them using apartments made up like caves, so at least you wouldn't be the only one doing it. Extended families have tended to live in compounds in lots of cultures, and in hunter-gatherer bands the nuclear family isn't the important unit, the tribe, clan, or other extended family group is, so apartments with a big central common area would be appropriate for almost every stage of this challenge. You'd just have to account for the landlord, and would be well-advised to make only four-unit buildings, as otherwise you'll have random neighbors infesting your community space and, sometimes, your apartments.

Re: Ladybug houses. It appears to cover two spaces, in a perpendicular line. Last night I happened to be playing the only house in which the ladybug house isn't in the middle, and noticed that one, and only, plot wanted spraying - the one that was two spaces away diagonally. If you arrange your plots as a square torus with the ladybug house in the center you get a lot of bang for your buck out of that house.

Test Subject
#195 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 12:51 PM
Im back!! Yay! I've been on holiday for ages but now I can finally continue with the challenge! It's great to see so many more people have joined this challenge while I've been gone

SilentFootprints
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#196 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 3:54 PM
Welcome to the challenge Floor1304! I think you will have a lot of fun here. Are you a Clan of the Cave Bear fan by any chance??! Congrats on the website tigergurl. I will be sure to keep my eye on it for your updates CK UGH Im sorry to hear of your loss. Can we say at least you were only at the beginning or does that not help any lol

Re the tree spraying - I dont bother to spray the trees at all. I just leave them be until they are ready to harvest and then I get one of the gold talent badge in gardening sims to "talk to" the tree to have it thriving before I harvest for the most profit. Same goes with the plants as well actually. I just make sure to tend and water when needed. I generally make a garden 3 or 4 wide and then 5 or 6 long and I use one ladybug station on each end. That seems to do the trick.

Sandy the way I dealt with teens was - I matched up the teenagers into mates and moved them out to their own lots alone ( this will help the speed of the round since there will only be 2 sims per lot - I wont know what to do with so few sims ! LOL ). At the beginning of the next rotation I will add and play their lots last. Since I dont have any hacks they will spend the time getting to know each other and wait until adulthood before they can have kids. This will help keep my population down as well ( I hope ! ) If someone turns into a teen while Im playing the lot I leave them there until I finish the whole round and look at setting up matches again for mates. Dont forget you need to have your heir stay on the family lot so dont move everyone out. The new family will get the same house as the males parents had and they get the same amount of money as what the parents have per the rules. Since I havent actually started to play any of the new lots yet I havent dealt with the money. You can alter the challenge to suit you so if you want to use hobbit holes and it suits the rest of your 'hood then go right ahead.

Welcome back Silentfootprints! Did you go somewhere nice for your holiday?

Tesime Family Tree
Field Researcher
#197 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 6:18 PM
Default Cant log on to server
I haven't been able to okay because I keep getting the error message, 'cannot log on to server'. Is anyone else playing via a digital download? What do I do? Ive been locked out for a while and am not finding help on EA's website.

But in gameplay, I have thoroughly enjoyed such things as stairs, showers, easels, pianos, lights...Roman era rocks! Also loving the clothes!

Please help with log in issue. I'm jonesing for my simmies
Lab Assistant
#198 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 7:55 PM
Quote:
Welcome to the challenge Floor1304! I think you will have a lot of fun here. Are you a Clan of the Cave Bear fan by any chance??!

Yes I am! How did you know? I'm currently reading the first book (in Dutch, so I don't know if the names are the same in English.)

I haven't been able to play the sims for a while, because my computer sort of crashed, but luckily I had made a back-up of my sims game the day before. I've reïnstalled the sims on my new laptop, so there will be a new update on my site (lifesachallenge.weebly.com) soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#199 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 9:37 PM
teehee as if there was any question with your sims names ! I was scanning thru them and didnt notice, then I saw Mog-ur and thought hmm that sounds familiar and then I saw Creb and I said heeeeeeeey wait a minute ! Loved the series. Ive read them all. It did tend to get a little long at the end of it ( the series not the first book ! that was excellent !). She actually has another out now - the land of the painted caves. I have added it to my librays digital downloads so I can read it on my ereader. I am constantly amazed that Jean was able to come up with such a vivid well thought out world. I have full intents of going back to the beginning and reading them again. Smart girl to backup !! I think I will do that now too - just in case :-)

Tesime Family Tree
Test Subject
#200 Old 8th Aug 2011 at 12:57 AM
Default Old to Sims; New to Challenges
Hi! I just started this challenge today and it seems really fun! I've never gone more than five generations of Sims, but I really want to try this time. So just wanted to stop in and say Hi!
Page 8 of 128