Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 12:31 PM
Default Is It Possible to Modify the Attraction Between Zodiac Signs?
Hello MTS!

As many players know, the zodiac signs in the game add an element to the attraction system that determines chemistry between two partners.
Yet, many people agree that the compatibility design is a bit illogical to say the least. Many signs do not have anyone they have mutual attraction with, same with mutual repulsion. Some signs have only 2-3 other signs they are attracted to, but it's only one sided.
This creates a frame that forces many players to play to choose the same signs for their couples, even when it goes against a sim's personality.
Generally, the astrology in the Sims 2 is immersion-breaking. A chart of the attraction wheel found on the Sim Wikia assures this.

Because I haven't seen any mods that touch the Astrology aspect of the game, it makes me think that maybe it's futile.
But maybe someone who is more familiar with the game's engine can add some insight into this?
Thanks for reading, and feel free to discuss.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 12:42 PM
It's easy enough to simply change the sims sign to something compatible with a mod and then forget about it. You don't have to be limited in personalty. To me the sign is just a means to an end with no other effect than to add some bolts.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 12:44 PM
I would like that too, lots of my sims end up with the same signs as I always try to reach 3 bolts for couples if possible (and for all I’ve noticed it’s always possible except when sims have mutual aspiration repulsion, I have a knowledge-pleasure couple and I couldn’t get more than 2 bolts between them). It’s a shame that secondary aspiration doesn’t matter with respect to chemistry. I posted a WCIF about it several months ago and it seems like it’s not moddable. Signs might be moddable though, they already are coded to influence attraction, so maybe it’s possible to change the values, unless they’re hardcoded and we can’t access it.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 1:27 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 17th May 2017 at 9:03 AM.
Short answer, yes

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 3:21 PM
Is there any way to get rid of it altogether?

(I hate astrology and I hate it in game. Having said that, if you ignore it, it doesn't seem to make much difference)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Is there any way to get rid of it altogether?

The attraction stuff, yes (just have those two global BHAVs return false), from the UI, not that I know of (apart from recolouring, the UI appears to be completely off-limits)

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
The attraction stuff, yes (just have those two global BHAVs return false), from the UI, not that I know of (apart from recolouring, the UI appears to be completely off-limits)

I was making a joke - of sorts I guess. I generally just ignore the whole thing.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#8 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 5:00 PM
I've used the zodiac signs for founding pairs to make sure they have a strong attraction to each other. However, I never pay attention to the zodiac signs of sims born in-game. I usually just pair them up by the number of bolts and some naturally have three bolts, while others have less.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 11:28 PM
I had two born-in-games I had planned for each other - they were so much alike I was sure they'd be a perfect couple, but they were meh about each other and I then realized it was because they had repelling zodiac signs.

They did eventually fall in love and I had them marry - they are the parents of a teen now. I got them to two bolts but they never roll romantic wants. They are more like besties than a romantic couple, but when I decided to marry them I figured not all couples are madly in love, some are more like friends and partners so why not have a sim couple like that as well?

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 2:45 AM
*giggles* I made four founding sims recently, two guys and two gals, and set their personalities the way I wanted, gave them all compatible turn ons and turn offs, made them family sims (I want babies!) and figured they'd sort out the rest. Well, they're all three-bolters with the appropriate sex (did I mention the point is babies?). They did sort it out, but they keep swooning at each others' spouses! Should've paid more attention to their signs . . . though it may not have mattered, since they have the rest all aligned.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#11 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
*giggles* I made four founding sims recently, two guys and two gals, and set their personalities the way I wanted, gave them all compatible turn ons and turn offs, made them family sims (I want babies!) and figured they'd sort out the rest. Well, they're all three-bolters with the appropriate sex (did I mention the point is babies?). They did sort it out, but they keep swooning at each others' spouses! Should've paid more attention to their signs . . . though it may not have mattered, since they have the rest all aligned.

I use no attraction reactions and no romance swoon mods, so my sims don’t swoon at sims they shouldn’t swoon at. With those mods they only do that at sims they love for all I’ve noticed.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums