Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:30 AM
Default How do you play an apocalypse (not the challenge)
Title pretty much says it all... if you wanted to play a household, or ideally, a neighborhood, as a post-apocalyptic setting, just for your own storytelling entertainment, rather than for completing the Apocalypse Challenge, how would you do it? What rules would you assign yourself? What approach to design would you use? How would your stories progress?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:39 AM
I would probably make it desert and set it to winter. Crops would have to be grown inside. Not many things would be available. I would make it an integrated hood and each family would try to bring things back.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 10:57 AM
Invite all zombies at night, through the phone or teleported, and avoid sims interacting with them. If someone of my household manages to make social contact with one of them, I then turned that sim into zombie and let him/her roam around the lot without my control with free will on, since they are turned into "brainless beings".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:16 PM
You could add in the zombie apocalypse mod.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:54 PM
Link please?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 4:32 PM
Oh! Psychosim Harbour is a great neighborhood for an apocalypse themed play through!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 4:51 PM
I basically use an edited version of the apocalypse challenge rules. I start with a few families of mixed age. If someone lifts a career it's good for the whole hood. But it's really hard to lift careers!

Separate Sims 2 folder so I can change mods and defaults. Default everything possible to be grungy, if no grunge, then simple, or old fashioned or badly fitting, like it came from a clothing bin. No styled hair, just anything which could be done at home.

Mods:
Zombie Apocalypse, No social worker, Cyjon's night walkbys, All-day gelatin, Real Sickness, a weird ageing mod I made with massive variance in adult and elder lifespan. Harderjobs. Some mutant face templates I made.

I make a "criminal" family who go around picking fights, terrorising and beating up other sims who don't pay their protection money. I only build temporary looking structures or fake building in other things like shipping containers, derelict houses.

I use the dirt template and Psychosim's red sky.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Link please?

Zombie Apocalypse: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=6720.0
The Fight Club (required for above): http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6641.0.html
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 5:03 PM
Oh, and no moving the trash can and no comfort soup!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Theorist
#10 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 2:08 AM
I really like playing post-apocalyptic neighbourhoods, in fact Apocalyptic play is one of my favourite ways to play. While I like the Apocalypse Challange, I dislike many of the rules (so people stop dancing because the world ended? And my neighbourhood has to be a frozen hellhole featuring the abomination known as snow? No thank you!) So usually I end up playing something of a mixture between the Apoc Challenge, a BAC Challenge and free play.

Apologies in advance if the following gets a bit obsessive

Settup
So what I usually do, after howling my Post Apocalypse specific CC folder (labeled "Apocalypse Pony") into my game foulder is take a premade neighbourhood or ueberhood of varying size and play a rotation of normal play, so that my Sims know what normal life is like before it gets torn away from them. Then at 0:00 Am, Sunday the Cataclysm happens.
At this point I create two sub-neighbourhoods: a "Civilian Defense Area" which is, for now, filled with very small and very dismal looking "bunkers" fitted for 8 Sims and a Military Base filled with barracks, which unlike the bunkers are much more spacious, feature limited electricity and running water and usually some recreational objects, because for the beginning the Post Apocalyptic society is a military junta.
Now the families gets separated, all adult and teen males get conscipted into the military to fight the hordes of zombies, mutants and marauders that will soon roam the streets and get moved into the barracks, everybody else becomes unemployed and gets moved into the bunkers, 8 Sims each, so most of the Sims will have to share their new living spaces with former neighbours or total strangers. I create a few families of zombies. Also the civilians are put into shabby/practical clothing while the conscripts have to wear their uniform at all times.
Finally I'll create a Sim who is made General and is basically the leader of the whole settlement now, he gets to live in a fairly nice house with some body guards and unlike the conscripts is allowed to have his family live with him.
From now on there's a few, lose chapters that the neighborhood runs through.

Chapter I; Nuclear Winter
This takes about takes place across another rotation, the season gets set to Winter to simulate fallout and the Nuclear Winter itself. This is usually the most harrowing phase for both civilians and conscripts alike, featuring the most deaths.

On the civilian side the Sims are phased with a time period where they are not allowed to leave their cramped bunker at all. Not for school (there is none), not for work (there is none) and not for any other reason (too much radiation in the air). They don't have running water, they don't have electricity and they are reduced to a single plate of food each per day (excluding babies and toddlers naturally). Also the broken version of "Realistic Sickness" is active, so woe to whomever eats spoiled food. If a Sim leaves the bunker by accident, they die. Also there is a die roll on whether pregnant Sims survive the birth.
On the military side the conscripts (i.e. all the Adult and Teen males) might have nicer accommodations, but they also have to go outside to work each day (I use the diving suits and helmets to simulate radiation suits) to go fight zombies. What this means is each day they go to work, I roll a die whether they survive that experience. They also get executed if they get fired for whatever reason.
Obviously, during this phase there is no contact between the different civilian households at all, the military personnel, however is allowed to socialize with sims from other military households as well as the General and his household.
After one rotation the fallout stops and radiation sinks to a less lethal level and Chapter II starts.

Chapter II World in Ruins
From now on, seasons get changed to Summer/Summer/Summer/Summer. With the radiation now down to more acceptable levels the surviving Sims can now start to rebuild their civilization. Both civilians and conscripts are now able to freely socialite with other households , however members of the military are not allowed to be guests in a civilian household after nightfall. Doing so gets interpreted as desertion and is punishable by death.
During this phase the "random events" start as well, a random event table that gets consulted each rotation that causes events like crop failure, an increase in zombies, epidemics or radiation sickness or mutation, but also some nice events like additional survivors joining the community or a decrease in the zombie population.
As long as there is no medical care available realistic sickness and the danger to die in childbirth stay active in this chapter.

The civilians are now able to pick up some career paths (medicine, architecture, athletic, business and education) most of which serve the function of unlocking things for the community. They are also allowed demolish their bunkers and rebuild them into more specious houses (however no nice architectural features) they still don't have running water, electricity and "realistic sickness" stays in for now. There is no school or service NPCs. Any male child that aged up into a teen still gets conscripted into the military. Civilians are also not allowed yet to leave the households they were assigned to form their own, but they are allowed to ask sims to move in with them, if they have room.
The civilians are not allowed to purchase food or furniture, but they are allowed to farm(but no other plants), fish (if they find water somewhere) and purchase the various crafting station other furniture is acquired through a trick I read on this forum a while back: they have to paint a "custom painting" of the type of furniture they want and then exchange that for a piece of it. (Say a sim want a chair, so they have to paint a custom painting of a chair on the easel, sell it and then are allowed to buy a basic chair. However, since candles are in short supply and light attracts zombies the Sims are only able to use the work stations during daylight hours.
The various careers unlock the following:
Medicine - running water and gets rid of "realistic sickness" as well as the danger of dying in childbirth. Also level 5 and higher are allowed to purchase their own lot at the military base.
Architecture - nice look/multi story houses.
Business - Each sim that reaches the top of the business career is allowed to open a home business.
Athletic - nothing really, it's just there.
Ecducation - Level 2: children can go to school. Level 5: teens can go to school, level 10: half of what's needed to unlock university.
There's also restrictions on how many sims can reach the upper levels (level 5+ is restricted to 2 sims at a time)
Dangers faced by the civilians are a slight change to die each time they go to work or school (if teen) and whenever a zombie or Outlaw (see below) walks by somebody in the household has to fight them, the loser in this fight dies.
This is also where the first Civilian community lots crop up. However, at this point this would just be brunt out ruins and spots in the wilderness with, maybe some source of water to fish. Also if a zombies or outlaws show up at the community lot, then the poor civilians of the active household have to fight them all and if they lose a single time, they die.

On the military side the most important changes is that conscripts now have the option to be discharged once they reach level 4 (Junior Officer). However, once they are discharged, they are on their own. They have to see if they can find a bunker that has a spare bed and where the inhabitants are willing to have them move in with them. If they can't find any, they either have to live in a tent somewhere or take their chances with the Outlaws. If they stick with the military, however, they are allowed to purchase a small plot of land on the military base once they reach level 7 (senior officer) and are given the means to build a modest house that features the same basic amenities as the barracks. More importantly these sims are allowed to have a spouse join them and are granted to right to have up to two children. As written above Sims that reach level 5 in the medical career are given the same right. In these families not just the teenage sons, but the daughters are conscripted into the military as well.
Now there are two additional career paths for military Sims; science and intelligence, both of which are much safer than staying a soldier, but as we all know, military juntas are known (among other unpleasant things) for their sheer corruption and nepotism. So only Sims that are either closely related to the General or have 90/90 relationship status with him are allowed to choose those careers. Those few, lucky Sims can change careers once they become Junior Officers. This is also how the General chooses his successor, which will either be his son or other male relative, or a close friend. Everybody else in the military career is stuck at level 9.
The biggest danger soldiers face is naturally the hazardous nature of their work and the continued risk to get executed if they break curfew or get fired. Otherwise sims living at the Military Base face considerably less danger than those at the Civilian Area. They have the option to ignore any zombies or Outlaws that walk by their lot and if a soldier still chooses to fight them, he won't die if he loses.
Soldiers and their families can also freely buy basic furniture and food and can use the crafting stations even at night.
Having a Sim reach the top of the Science career the availability of basic electricity spreads to the civilians, while the military sims are granted additional electronics (particularly computers and entertainment) and its also the second career (in addition to education) that is needed to unlock university.
The military also gets community lots. However these ones are safe (zombies and outlaws can be ignored) and can feature things like playgrounds (for the kids), gyms and even swimming pools as well as grocery stores. There might even be an officer's club.

Outlaws are a new group who get their own sub hood. Essentially whenever a civilian or soldier mutates (becomes an alien/supernatural) they are driven from the community and are forced to make their new home out in the wastelands, the same happens to any teenager that runs away from their household once they age up. Also other Sims are allowed an attempt to run away and join the Outlaws (basically a die roll: success means they become an Outlaw, failure means they are caught while escaping and executed) They suffer the same restrictions as civilians in addition to being restricted to the criminal and adventurer careers. If an Outlaw reaches level 10 of the criminal career they found the "Mutant Mob" which brings additional protection to the Outlaws, but prodcues additional dangers to the Civilians.
If there is no Mutant Mob, mutants are forced to engage every zombie, Civilian or Soldier that walks by their lot into a fight to the death (unless they have a positive relationship with said civilian). If the Mob is active, can choose to ignore the walk-byes or in addition every Outlaw in the criminal career can choose to fight the walk-bye anyway, but is protected from dying if they lose. On the other hand if a "mutant mobster" walks by a civilian lot, one of the inhabitants dies.
besides the Mutant Mob, the Outlaws also feature the "Cult of the Cow Plant", a band of religious fanatics that lure innocents into their layer to feed them to their Cow Plant, which they worship as a god.

Once university is unlocked Chapter III starts.

Chapter III A New World

This chapter, triggered by the creation of the first Post-Cataclysm university is all about social upheaval As fertile ground for free thought the university becomes a hotbed for social and eventually political changes that will transform the Post Apocalyptic society. This chapter is the most "challenge like" with a lot of unlocking.

At the start of this phase the Civilians, Military Sims and Outlaws face pretty much the same dangers and restrictions as at the end of Chapter II. If any of the career restrictions from chapter II aren't lifted yet then they continue to exist and can still be lifted in this chapter. The only real change is that Civilian and Military teenagers are now allowed to visit university and that additional careers are opened up for both are unlocked.
Military Sims gain the options to join the Medicine, Oceanography and Natural Science Careers (under the same restrictions as in Chapter II)
Civilian Sims gain the options to join the Artist, Musician and Paranormal Careers.
Both gain access to the Politics career, with the additional condition that only university graduates can become politicians.
Outlaws are, naturally, barred from University for now.

The careers unlock the following:
Oceanography: water on home lots.
Natural Science: Level 5: Potted Plants inside houses, fertilizer, ladybug houses. Level 10: Garden Plants, fruit trees and ground coverings inside green houses. Once a Natural Scientist dies a natural death (of old age) plants can be used everywhere (symbolizing that it was their life's work to revitalize the ecology) From that point on civilians are allowed to buy food in stores.
Artist: All deco objects can now be bought from the catalogue (rather than crafted as before) Creation of Clothing stores (formerly restricted to the sowing machine)
Musician: Music instruments can now be used placed on all community lots as well as be bought from the catalogue (rather than crafted as before)
Paranormal: The Creation of the Peaceful "Cult of the Green Crystal" to stand against the Cult of the Cow Plant. Sims join this cult by becoming best friends with a member and all members don't have to fight each other anymore (no matter if they are military, civillian or outlaws)

Politics: This is the big one. Politics in this playstyle has the function of bringing down the military junta and restoring a democratic government. For the most part, the General (as of now absolute ruler of the community) will let that happen, but once a Sim becomes Mayor they implement a number of very drastic changes: they abolish conscription, reintegrate the Outlaws into larger society and take up residence in the general's mansion, throwing him out. Until the creation of a police force the General and his bodyguards/family can still murder the Mayor by fighting them, so the Mayor is advised to surround themselves with a few bodyguards of their own. The members of the Mutant Mob can also murder the Mayor (they aren't happy that they'll lose their power). there can only be one Mayor at any given time, but they can be deposed for another Mayor via elections (die roll)

The existence of the Mayor unlocks a two additional careers for all Sims:
Journalism (restoration of the freedom of press/speech)
Law Enforcement: The consolidation of civilian law requires civilian law enforcement. Only if a Sim becomes a Captain Hero while a Mayor exists will the Military Junta be abolished permanently, the three "castes" of Post Apocalyptic society (military, civilians and outlaws) will be abolished, all careers will be open for everyone, the Mutant Mob and conscription stop existing and emergency services are reinstated.
If the Mayor gets killed before a Captain Hero emerges the Military Junta takes control again, all restrictions return (including conscription) and all Sims who are following a career part that is unfit for their caste (as well as all politicians and journalists) become Outlaws.

Chapter 4 Return of Peace and Plenty

With the civilian leadership reinstated life returns to a state of normality and safety. A preventive measure for Zombieism is developed, preventing the creation of additional "Walking Dead", cults that sacrifice sims to plants are outlawed, no sudden deaths anymore and all additional careers are unlocked as well as all items can form the catalogue. Depending on my mood I either return completely to normal play or keep the neighbourhood at a somewhat pre-modern level for the most part.

Hope this makes sense, up until now I only had it written down as a loose list of points and rules.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I basically use an edited version of the apocalypse challenge rules. I start with a few families of mixed age. If someone lifts a career it's good for the whole hood. But it's really hard to lift careers!

Lifts a career? Do you mean gets a job or gets a promotion?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 5:51 AM
They mean remove the restrictions that particular career lifts. Once a sim reaches the top of a career it opens certain things such as being able to take a bath.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would probably make it desert and set it to winter. Crops would have to be grown inside. Not many things would be available. I would make it an integrated hood and each family would try to bring things back.

I've always wondered, what's an integrated hood?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Zombie Apocalypse: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=6720.0
The Fight Club (required for above): http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6641.0.html

Thanks!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Orphalesion]I really like playing post-apocalyptic neighbourhoods, in fact Apocalyptic play is one of my favourite ways to play. While I like the Apocalypse Challange, I dislike many of the rules (so people stop dancing because the world ended? And my neighbourhood has to be a frozen hellhole featuring the abomination known as snow? No thank you!) So usually I end up playing something of a mixture between the Apoc Challenge, a BAC Challenge and free play.

This whole thing sounds like so much fun! I'm definitely going to play this one!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I've always wondered, what's an integrated hood?

We have a few threads on it, but the main premise of it is that sims run the town doing as many services as possible without using NPC's or service sims or grabbing things from the catalog. Just how far and how self sufficient your town is depends on the player. So in my town if you want groceries you go to the store, the store is run by my farmers. Not all the food is fresh grown but most is. There is also a fish shop, stocked and run by my fishermen. If a sim has a mental breakdown or is having a baby, is ill or rolled up an imaginary illness because I am finding their house boring I may send them to my small hospital. This is run by my doctor, plus one nurse,a midwife and a new in training doctor. It's a residential lot, I can bring all the staff over with the meeting controller. My shops don't stock everything so I do have to swap out some items. The kids mostly attend my playable school, run by two teachers. If you want a maid, that would be a playable as is the repairman and gardener and exterminator. I don't have a nanny, but there is family, friends or the day care. Some people use sim surgery to make service sims look like playables. I have yet to do that since my game made quite cute ones. My fire station sells smoke detectors, books written by my fire chef, he goes to work in a custom fire fighter career in a fire truck. I don't have non working commercial/service lots. In some small way they all work. As much as I can come up with ideas and find CC anyway. Have you seen my business and careers for sims thread? http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...ighlight=career

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They mean remove the restrictions that particular career lifts. Once a sim reaches the top of a career it opens certain things such as being able to take a bath.

Ahhh. I was confusing myself. XD

Some day I must try a zombie apocalypse neighbourhood. It shows how much I play zombies that I've had Pescado's zombieapoc mod in for ages and it has never been used. Maybe my apocalypse hood will come from me forgetting I have it and finally allowing one of my evil witches to raise a zombie. XD Zombie kills master and sets out to zombify the world. Damn, that actually sounds fun, but I couldn't do that to any of my current hoods!

Joandsarah, do you find it easy to run an owned business when you take other households to visit there? Do the business owner and employees show up and do their jobs fine? I've been considering making some businesses ownable and assigning sims to them whom I don't intend to actually play, so I can organise the menus etc.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 1:24 PM
They tend to be slow getting to the till. That's the worst thing I find. A few use an auto till or a ticket machine. If I could remember it I would switch to the auto till when Is end the owner home.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#19 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
and no comfort soup!

What if...instead of disallowing it entirely, you just put some restrictions on it? It can only be prepared by an actual grandmother (or grandparent, if we don't wanna be all sexist) who has a certain amount of cooking skill (whatever you feel is fair/reasonable) and access to fresh food (some points in the fridge). Depending on how your hood is set up, this might be effectively the same as disallowing it entirely, but it also might give you something else to work towards. Like...an impermanent unlock, since your qualified "grandma" would eventually die and need to be replaced.
Scholar
#20 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 9:25 PM
My rules vary, but these two are always included:

Feeding my sims:
Hunting
Wait until a stray enters the lot, then have the sims throw axes. If they hit center, banish the stray (as it was just killed for food) and proceed to grill hotdogs.
Fishing and Agriculture
The sparkling food is severly radiated, so eat at your own risk. What I did was making sims roll against body and cleaning skill with the exact thresholds depending on how deadly i wanted my game. Failure indicates radiation sickness (age up by three days) or a random mutation.

Electricity:
Place a treadmill or bicycle home trainer. One hour treadmilling generates 1-6 hours electricty (roll a die).