Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 3:34 AM
Default Can't Marry.
I am on the Wedding quest. My sim is bethrothed, has rings, is a member of the Jacoban church. But when she tries to get married (and I make sure her interactions are up to 'extremely irresistible') I get a little pop up saying 'Oh no! The marriage has been cancelled!' This is popping up every time, for NO reason. Any ideas how to fix it?

EDIT
Ok, I managed to get them married, but not in the church, which is what I was trying before. Still... odd.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:14 AM
I can't get my sims to court?? Is there a trick to it or is a flaw?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 11:42 AM
It pops up with that every time I try to marry them in a church. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

Oh, hi, how are you holding up?
Because I'm a Cass.
»LiveJ«◄▀►»Forums«
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 12:05 PM
@wwjend, you have to get them to extremely irresistible. but if either of them has a partner you don't get the option because you can't multiple partners (yet!). if they break up with their partner, then the option should appear.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Inventor
#5 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 2:40 PM
You can have extra partners, in order to marry the one you want, by using the shift-control-click on the target sim and choosing to set the relationship for them. Make them whatever you want and it will work. I did that when the original sim my sim was courting, disappeared and never came back. I gave my sim a new partner and then was able to marry them. The older relationship eventually changed to friend on it's own. If you don't know how to change the relationship, look here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...805#post3480805. There is a picture that shows the menu.

You can find my Sims 3 Mods at TFM's Sims Asylum .
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 7:26 PM
I have a similar problem. I have the rings, the bride is wooed and ready in her dress, the best man has done his duties but my groom can't select to get married. They're all waiting in the reception area getting drunk and having fun for a wedding that's not happening. :/

I think it might be about his clothes as he's wearing another professional outfit and his wedding attire is still in his inventory. I clicked on the wardrobe and managed to make a new costume for his wedding and I got the dialogue after I'd done the change and I completed the change clothes quest. However I still can't select the "get married". The pair are both agnostic and I don't think religion is needed to marry since you can opt to not have the religion included in your kingdom.

Any ideas? I think I'm almost there and I don't want to quit my quest when it might be something really simple. I'm finding this game to have too many little niggles like this that's putting me off playing in frustration.
Inventor
#7 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:16 PM
Is your sim actually engaged to the sim they are supposed to marry? First you have to get to the Courting stage (Ask to Court), then you do the Ask for Hand in Marriage, then you can get married.

You can find my Sims 3 Mods at TFM's Sims Asylum .
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:39 PM
Yes, as I said, the bride has been courted and is standing around in her wedding dress waiting for the groom. The groom has the two rings and the wedding clothes in his inventory.

I think I might try to woohoo and see if that's what's needed as I've tried everything else in the interactions barring being mean/fight.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:59 PM
Woohooing won't help. It is important that the relationship status is engaged, not just courting. Courting is like going steady in TS3

@ acid_fairy and cassslas1996
I had that problem a couple of times. To me it happened because they had to walk to the curch first. Then they have to stand in a certain place in front of the preaching pedestal. Sometimes, if one sim arrives quicker than the other one, he/she gets distracted (e.g. an NPC starts to talk to them or they start listening to the bard) and the wedding is aborted. Or someone is standing in the way and they cannot find their path, or the priest is reading a preach and this angel/whatever person who completes the marriage cannot 'land' in his place behind the pedestal.
Have you tried bringing both sims to the church first, leading them somewhere near the wedding spot, made sure the priest is not standing in the way, and then tried again? It worked for me.
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 11:15 PM
We are courting, that is 100% certain since I'm doing this as a quest. I have the last part to do, "Marry your Betroth", we just seem to be hanging around the reception hall in our best clothes with no option to marry coming up.

The Best man has done all his parts and I just need to be able to click the "get married" part.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 11:29 PM
Courting is not enough. You have to get romanctic until "irressistable" and then ask for her hand. I know it is stupid, because in the quest she already agreed to marry your sim, but nethertheless he has to do so in order to get engaged and be able to marry her. It's the protocol.
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 12:51 AM
Yup, that was it, I hadn't wooed enough. Which is, I agree stupid since the quest had already advanced to the "getting married/engaged" stage.

I did as you said and finally finished the quest. The merchant now has a wife with the same haggling and compulsive gambling skills as himself. They make a lovely pair.