Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 4:27 AM
Default Create-a-Pattern - Why is it fuzzy in-game?
Firstly, I made some cherries in Illustrator CS4. I saved them as .png and put them in CAP. I used one of the leaves in CAP to add to my pattern and worked numerically as I wanted this to be a small pattern which CAP does not seem to be friendly for.

They looked great in the program - In the game, on the wall they have a fuzzy bleeding effect - as do the other patterns I made with this.

What causes this? Am I not saving my files in the correct .png format? Am I using too much detail? I would think that by using Illustrator, they would be crisp as can be since it's a vector program.

Should I be using a different way to make patterns? Because I couldn't seem to grasp the former program used even though I recently graduated with an Associates in Computer Illustration. The seamless factor drives me mad and CAP does that so well.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 4:34 AM
What resolution is the picture? Try using a larger and smaller size?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 5:39 AM
Well, I went with a 256x256 in Illustrator and had to reduce it(the image) greatly in the CAP. Maybe I should make something much smaller first... But of course, I used the leaves from the CAP and made them smaller too - you'd think those would be clear no matter what though.

Are others not having issues with the fuzziness/bleeding?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Are others not having issues with the fuzziness/bleeding?

I'm not fuzzy (but my kitty is) and I don't bleed a lot, either. So nope.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#5 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 7:00 AM
The fuzziness and bleeding is a direct side effect of the DDS compression used by the game, which basically halves the resolution of the image and then blurs it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:27 AM
Ah - So this is truly unavoidable then. That's a shame. I was baffled because some people's patterns seam so clear, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I can live with it knowing that's the case. It was driving me batty thinking it was something I was doing wrong.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:17 PM
i believe if you let the cap resize an image itself on import the result is better than making it under 256 x 256 with photoshop or similar.