Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 22nd Mar 2012 at 1:12 PM
Because I usually play legacies, and the spouse generally doesn't matter, it's usually the first that comes along or whatever teenager clerk is in the "send townies to college" menu.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 12:11 AM
Just recently I had two sims who I planned to marry each other. I put them in "apartments", one above the other (due to lack of apartment life this was just one house that looked like two apartments). Then I had John go down and "visit" Dava. They talked, checked each other out, and had double bolt chemistry. So I had them start going out, and after two dates and a woohoo that both sims requested (resulting in Dava becoming pregnant!) finally, I got them engaged. Until both roll wants to get married (which I will lock when they do) I'll keep them engaged, living as a family, as I think they're the kind who don't really need to quantify their degrees of love.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Field Researcher
#28 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 12:32 AM
I randomize gender preferences first. Then I see who they're most attracted to. No one may marry or partner up unless they have at least 2 bolt chemistry. The only caveat to this is if a one bolt pairing ACRs themselves like crazy OR they are constantly rolling wishes for each other. Triple bolt chemistry is "soulmates" in my mind so that usually trumps all other pairings they may already be involved in.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by akksgurl
Triple bolt chemistry is "soulmates" in my mind so that usually trumps all other pairings they may already be involved in.

Definitely. For me one bolt= compatible, two bolts= could be "the one" and three bolts= this is your soulmate, marry them NOW!
It's like high school (or at least high school on TV). One bolt, you're having one date or a quick romantic fling. Two bolts, you'll date for a month or two, but eventually go your seperate ways. Three bolts, you're the couple other couples come to for advice. You wear his sweatshirts. You can feel like friends and a couple at the same time. You'll wind up married with three kids, one of each.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
Mad Poster
#30 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 1:13 AM
But what if you have multiple triple bolters? It's not that uncommon. And I've had sims walk away from triple bolts to pair themselves up with single-bolters, who became doubles over time by sheer force of will.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 1:23 AM
I agree. Rules never keep perfectly solid, whether in Sims or in real life. Sometimes a summer fling will turn into happy marraige.

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:54 AM
I try to introduce as many of my teenagers as possible to each other to get a variety of friends going, and then they can test the waters that way with interests. If there is a stronger chemistry, they'll hook up as teens, and likely get married right after the age to adults. They also go to college with their peers, all in one house for time saving reasons, so sometimes they'll meet their loves there.

If they haven't found the right person there, I usually send them out on the town until they find someone nice. Family sims tend to marry sooner because they always want a lot of kids, so I try to put a rush on them, whereas my romance sims definitely like to test those waters a bit more if they ever get married. I'm not a fan of the crystal ball method because its too easy to me.

Of course, sometimes for stories I have arranged marriages because I need a certain personality or look for my sims. Or sometimes my story calls for two sims that have no attraction to each other, especially those fortune sims.

I honestly don't have a lot of homosexual sims but I am thinking about changing that by using a dice to determine them. I just naturally make them male-female only because I like the idea of surprise children.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:02 AM
I usually let ACR figure it out for me, but with a couple of my sims, their tastes were a bit too generic and they ended up with at least three three-bolters with wishes involving all of them, and they're not even romance sims! So what I've started to do is give them more particular tastes or start them off as married.
When it comes to children, I determine who they marry when they're children. For example, my legacy's heir is still a child and I know who she's going to marry already since he happened to walk onto the lot. I've made sure that they're best friends and when she grows into a teen I'll give her turn ons that are particular to him so it'll work for sure.
Instructor
#34 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:36 PM
I have just two houses in my neighborhood, and the only NPC I play is the Alien Technicus, so it's not difficult to decide which Sims are gonna marry :P
Instructor
#35 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:49 PM
Well, because now I play a Medieval Challenge it's not exactly easy to find proper suitors for my young ladies >.> I have to consider their social status, their family's wealth and name and other parameter like chemistry (sometimes, because most of the marriages are arranged), the lady's reputation, her looks (kind of important, but not as important as her trousseau), and so on.
The hardest thing is to find someone with good genetics >.> Because I don't want ugly babies, even if they are from a serf family XD
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 5:29 PM
Well, I decided for my one Sim, that she would marry Bella. Oh yeah. That Bella. But then I saw this College Sim, Cara. And I was like...Well she has black hair (That is one of my Sim's turn-ons) and well my Sim is a Pisces, and I was like:

"Well, if this College student has star sign that is compatible, then maybe those two should get together instead of Bella. But my Simwould be torn between two different chickas."

Well, sure enough the College student, has the same star sign as Bella. She is a Cancer. And in which makes my playable Sim (Marcel) compatible. So, yeah...And Marcel already has a crush on Cara.

I wanted to flip a coin, but I think that would have been a little too Cliche. My other playable Sims, are still exploring their horizons. But I do believe one will end up with a witch, every new roll has become a witch. So, what the hey, she can get Emily Knight the good witch. And for some reason I always get one married to a Vampire. And one to this townie, that never ceases to find a way to get to the lot of where my Sims are.

So that is how I pretty much get my Sims together with another Unless I want to cause Hell, and let them choose...But that ended in disaster, with "Primp all the time Marsha" >.<

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 11:07 PM
OK what I do is look into relationship panel to see if they like someone with 3 lightning bolts as chemistry and there usually do except that person married or dating another or if am bored than I might have them have an affair together. Second I make them go to a community lot and scope the room and see who comes up. Third if I notice it than it's hard to explain but i'll try its like when your Sim is walking and you see a thought bubble come up with the persons picture with red and pink hearts I know its not scope room because it happen to my female she was walking to pay the bills when a townie did that to her. Last if all else fails than I look at the Sim attraction on what they like on the person than create them for that Sim.

The world is all how you look at it.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 7:19 PM
I sometimes look at the chemistry but usually I create a story in my head and I play it that way.Once the story in my head was Beau Broke and Lucy Burb dating I made them friends before they started dating.As I called Beau to Lucy's,when they were friends,they hugged romantically without me clicking it.I found it so cute! :D
Field Researcher
#39 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 8:09 PM
Looking through this thread I realized that I really don't have one set way. I'll use the crystal ball sometimes, but I tend to like to make it so I don't know who their perfect match is right away. It's more fun if I have them date a few people and figure it out later.

Sometimes if they bump into someone they've got two or three bolts with I'll have them go out with each other. Other times I might have an idea about who would, in my mind, go well together and teleport them in. A couple examples: Johnny Smith wants to fit in and be liked. He's self-confident and everything, but there still aren't many aliens around, and he's always been a little self-conscious about it. So, once he was in college, I figured, who better to accept him and embrace his uniqueness than hippie Blossom Moonbeam? She's made him feel proud about being an alien like no one else ever has. They're engaged now.

I made Ripp Grunt's OTH Film and Literature after looking at the interests he came with. He's in college now, and I thought that he might like fellow book-lover Tiffany Sampson. She might balance him out nicely, too. I teleported her in, and now they're boyfriend and girlfriend with two bolts. Once he hits junior year I plan on making him Family/Romance, so hopefully they'll have three bolts then.

Speaking of which, I'm usually only comfortable with marrying sims that have three bolts, but I make exceptions sometimes. Two-bolters Dina Caliente and Connor Weir seemed so right to be I couldn't not get them together. In my mind she wants a mature, stable guy (which is why she keeps going after all those old men :p). Connor has high playful points, but he's got a mature outlook on life. He wants to do well in his job, find Ms. Right, and have a family. They're married now, and happy as clams.

With kids who have just transitioned into teens, I tend to have them date kids they were close to as children. Sometimes I'll get the feeling they have crushes on each other then, and keep that in mind when they turn into teens. Beatrice Monty and Alexander Goth are that way. In my last install, I invited Beatrice and Benedick to Mortimer and Bella's vow renewal to give him some kids to hang out with. Alexander and Beatrice chose to sit at the same table twice, and once she looked at him with the Kiss icon in a thought balloon. So they're kind of canon for me.

I don't really have any gay sims... don't get me wrong, I absolutely do ]not hate gay people, it's just the way I choose to play my game. It's like the way how some people have almost all gay couples or no straight couples at all, or no religious sims... it's just a game.
Scholar
#40 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 12:44 AM
I choose that sort of randomly. In some cases I have a idea but in most cases I just put them together if they are good friends. I have a lot of familys in my hood but most of them are created by me as married so I do not really have to give the question so mush attention.
Test Subject
#41 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 7:03 PM
I take matchmaking so seriously...

As soon as a generation hits teen, I make a table. Boys across the top (columns) and girls down the side (rows.) I put an X wherever siblings/first cousins intersect. Then I will check out what kind of chemistry all the possible matches have, and record it where they intersect in my table. Any match with three bolts automatically is designated as a future marriage, but that doesn't mean they can't date other people as teens. It's rare for me that a sim will have more than one three-bolt attraction, but if they do I just pick the one I like better for them. After that I will designate matches, usually based on maintaining a balanced gene pool. I only have same-sex couples if there is a gender imbalance, which I try to avoid, as I like to see genetic patterns and can't use hacks. A couple has to have at least two bolts to get married, so usually the matches get arranged by process of elimination.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 5:58 PM
I usually stick only triple bolters together, but if a two bolt couple are literally climbing on each other, I can't break them up.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 11:05 PM
I've tossed in ACR to make my simming more interesting. I've intended to install it for ages, and finally took the plunge.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 3:39 AM
I have never had a problem matching people up in Drama Acres, but I am finding myself facing a bit of a dilemma in Strangetown, where I don't intend to play long-term and the population is, and should remain, relatively low. The original plan is to introduce no new CAS sims and when I need to add someone, as for a toddler to fulfill PT9 and Jenny's have-baby wants without using elixir on her, to clone someone from Drama Acres.

But I can't help wanting to match people up, and the Curious brothers and Nervous will, for the most part, be difficult to match with the set of turn-ons and turn-offs they rolled for this iteration. They all have Ren-U potions, so I can always change the turn-ons; and as it happens Vidcund's are red hair and glasses, which applies to my Monica Bratford, and I rather like the idea of orchestrating that match. If I leave Lazlo with Crystal (about whom I know nothing), I can either get Pascal and Nervous together, or get Nervous with Lola (either way, I have to lose his turn-off for black hair) and Pascal with Kristen or Erin. If Crystal proves to be impossible, Lazlo and Pascal can split the Singles ladies they're not related to between them. But, there's lots of potential chemistry problems and, as a born Texan, it bugs me a lot that there's such a low Simspanic population in Strangetown, and I have also had this marvelous idea:

The Marzo sisters: Margarita (cloned and ethnically tweaked from my Kitty Hawkins), Josefina (ditto from my Pigeon Hawkins), Isabella (ditto and sex-changed from my super-sweet Harris Hawkins), and Amada (ditto from my Sadie Hawkins). Did I mention that Louisa May Alcott is the goddess of my idolatry? I'd transfer the personalities from my original sims, but change the aspirations to match the literary models, with Margarita (Meg) and Isabella (Beth) Family, Josefina (Jo) Knowledge, and Amada (Amy) probably Pleasure/Fortune. This addition to the eligible female population immediately sets up a much more diverse, flexible, and intriguing dating game along the Road to Nowhere, and gives the boys quite a lot of choice - though, with a Hawkins-influenced cast and my own experience among male nerds back in my heady Queen-of-the-Geeks days, I expect the choices would wind up being largely made for them while they were busy doubting their good fortune.

I doubt I will do this, as it would make Strangetown too engaging and I still have a lot I want to do in Drama Acres; but you see the temptation. It's always more fun for me to have a large playing field of choice and leave it up to the sims as much as possible than to make people for each other and/or assign matches from a narrow field of choice, with the last-comers getting stuck with each other by default.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 9:02 PM
ACR = magic. Sometimes a little too magic; more than often, I've had the "childhood best friends who thought the other was unattractive as teenagers but fell in love in college/as adults" cliché... my game tends to want to go chick flick on me XD

I used to leave my sims to choose their own SOs based on ACR and the rolls they wanted, but I've had to tighten the reins a little now that the family lines start to blur. I'm planning an "apocalypse megahood" consisting of descendants from each of the default hoods, and while Gen 1 rolled along just fine, Gen 2 is starting to become an issue. The teens are all falling in love with each other and at this rate we're going, everybody's going to be related to each other somehow. Even the public lots were stuffed with my own playables, so no luck there.

Cue my freshman/graduation parties in college. The colleges are already stuffed with its own playables not related to anybody in the main hood, but to top it all off, I love how streakers, mascots/cheerleaders and dormies just randomly join in the frat/sorority parties on their own accord. I cheat to invite all playables too, to make them widen their social circles and give them the opportunity to meet CAS-spawns. Coupled with my downloaded hacked beer and ACR, it's a miracle if nothing happens during the party... which also keeps college more engaging when things start to become dull and makes it a little more realistic, IMO

In the default hoods where I don't have colleges (Desiderata, Riverblossom), I just send them off on vacation. Finally the tourist explosion is good for something.

(I realize just going to the gypsy matchmaker would be easier, but it's not half as fun. Besides, now that I'm arranging "singles-on-the-hunt" joint vacations to avoid dragging out on play-time, it makes for some crazy vacation memories... for me, at least )
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 6:39 AM
I like randomness, so my sims aren't picky, they usually get together with the first sim they meet on a community lot, or a friend they brought home from school as a child/teen... As long as they don't have negative chemistry, it's good enough for me. Although, with a few of my most favorite sims, I'm a little pickier about looks. Lately if my sims don't know anyone and I'm in a hurry, I might just use the gypsy matchmaker for ultimate randomness. Sometimes that just gives you a boring townie, but sometimes it's another playable and maybe even one that's already in a relationship, thus creating a love triangle :D
Test Subject
#47 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 7:56 AM
My sims usually end up in a long term relationship with a partner they have 2 bolts with, mostly with the first 2-bolter they meet. I usually pick townies as partners. I can be picky regarding looks, but my curiousity as to one's offspring or mix of genetics usually wins. I've ended up with some gorgeous sims where the parents where so-so, or where one parent was pretty and the other parent ugly.

I've recently discovered the joy of the Garden Club's Wishing Well, and its "Wish For Romance". I think I'm going to enjoy playing my romance sims a whole lot more now
Scholar
#48 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 3:15 PM
Unless I have a story in mind my sims usually date or marry whomever they want. I will usually urge them away from marrying someone with one bolt of chemistry and I discourage cheating, but they do what they do. I usually use ACR or Simblender I forget which to randomize gender preference. From time to time I randomize the entire neighborhood.

Now if I get story in mind or start feeling sentimental all bets are off I manipulate my sims in anyway I deem fit to achieve my ends.
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 3:54 PM
Also, if I find a two bolt couple and the only thing keeping them from three bolts is a turn-on/turn-off detail, I tend to change those to up the bolt level. I have a thing about triple bolters. Even if they are hideous and make hideous children, what should stop me from bringing them together.

Most of my triple bolters have attractive solemates anyway. The unattractive solemates I've run across are ones in a gay couple, so that doesn't bother me much. An example is Jason Larson's husband (yes, Jason rolled as gay in one of my neighborhoods), who is this Bluewater Village Townie:

So yeah. They're happy though, and have a crapload of woohoo, so I don't mind.
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 8:19 PM
Typically, I guess I just tend to pick the first friend a child brings home from school. I did that with Beau Broke and Adriana Tse, who are happy as clams together now that they're teens (one date had them in love and going steady!) They'll probably wind up as in love as Dustin and Angela, who I've had to put on a strict no-dating time for the next three days (until Dustin ages up) because Dustin's simply run out of room!

Page 2 of 3