Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 7:05 PM
Default Tablet advice
I know nothing about tablets, that being said, I'd like some advice on which to possibly get. The main choice would be to play some games while waiting at doctor appointments and usually have 30 or more minute waits afterward for transportation home. I read that Animal Crossing can be played on Tablet, also the possibility of playing My Sims and/or The Sims FreePlay.

This link has a number of choices, hopefully it shows up properly, if not I can try a different way to show what's there. The page should list in order of the highest rating
https://www.stoneberry.com/electron...tomerRating%7C1
(no sign in required to browse - if link doesn't work - Electronics > Computers + Tablets - sorted by Highest-Rated)

My priority choices would be;
9-10 inch screen
possibly with the keyboard - 9 inch only
$13.99 a month or less - I have excellent credit with this company and don't want to go over this price since I do pay more each month to pay it off faster. Thanks! (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 7:34 PM
I've been following android since its very first release, I've owned a nexus one, a nexus four and a galaxy s6 and honestly I can't recommend any of the android tablets. As a phone I think it's a great platform but none of the tablets are really worth the money.

If you absolutely must buy a tablet I can only recommend the apple ones.

For mobile gaming I'd suggest a 3DS. I own both a 3DS and a Vita and their library of games are far more superior. If the 3DS is out of your price range, then maybe look into getting a 2DS. It's cheaper, doesn't come with 3D and the sound is only mono, but if you already own a pair of headphones its a good budget choice.

If you can afford a regular 3DS though I'd recommend getting one instead. You could even buy second hand.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 3:49 PM
Thanks for your info. (: Since I don't have money to go buy the best, I have to go with what I can afford. I have GBA, isn't 3DS a smaller hand held too? Due to disabilities, I can no longer use smaller handhelds because of nerve damage and need the larger screen, such as tablet, also have weakened eyesight.

My choices would be the info posted and hope someone who's had a good experience with any of them could possibly give me some feed back. Thanks!

Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Thanks for your info. (: Since I don't have money to go buy the best, I have to go with what I can afford. I have GBA, isn't 3DS a smaller hand held too? Due to disabilities, I can no longer use smaller handhelds because of nerve damage and need the larger screen, such as tablet, also have weakened eyesight.

My choices would be the info posted and hope someone who's had a good experience with any of them could possibly give me some feed back. Thanks!

There is an XL sized 3DS. I have big manly man hands so I got the 3ds XL and the size is great for me. It's a little bit wider than a standard PS3 controller, but it's somewhat thin. The best would probably for you to go check it out in store. Nintendo sells refurbished 3DS XLs online for $115 (https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...oryId=cat160011) in the US. Nintendo is known for having good refurbs and all their refurbs sold on their website are covered by the same manufacturer's guarantee as brand new units.
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 4:08 PM
@Duine

If you consider buying tablet, consider what you need and which OS to fulfill your needs.

I'm not tablet user, I had given tablet before but because my needs are suffice with smartphone and PC, I don't need tablet, therefore I gave the tablet to someone else. Because to me, tablet is just an expansion of smartphone, with bigger screen and more memory storage.
If you consider to buy tablet, you will consider the usage of tablet for other needs, not just for gaming, because if it's used for lite usage like waiting 30 minutes transportation, just download the game to play on your smartphone or play the game on mobile handheld you already have, is enough to suffice the need without wasting money for a device like tablet.
Tablet will be worth the money if you want to have big collection of touchscreen games and need big memory storage to accommodate big files like photos, movie files, music files, lots and lots of apps.
Also a very convenience GPS navigator with its bigger screen to show wider navigation, while smartphone screen is much smaller to show the navigation.

Android has better advantages over games and apps number available on Google Play (Free and premium), because due to its open source, there are a lot of contributors of gamers, tech and modding enthusiasts to develop games and apps for Android. and the OS is easily customizable: accessing the system via rooting to delete unwanted programs from factory settings that cannot be deleted or you just want to completely change the look of interface. The pro about Android tablet is that the choices of screen size, specs, and prices are vary in market, while Apple product like iPad, has limited choices of tablet variety and the products are far too expensive. but the pros are better security system, retina display, stable OS (Android has tendency to "force close" the apps and has lagging issues), more quality apps. Better to purchase Android tablet with cheaper price for a beginner user, if you need better quality tablet, has more needs and has higher budget, you may reconsider to purchase more expensive brand with higher specs & more memory storage or iPad.

If you seriously need big screen tablet, you can check out Android tablets with specs based on your need.
www.gsmarena.com
On the upper left, click each brand to display the products.

As for tablet choices with keyboard, I think of good choices in market like Lenovo Yoga and ASUS Transformer Pad.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 4:57 PM
Thanks for expanded info on products. It does answer a bit of useful info and such as I've never used a tablet. I don't have a smart phone, no use for it. I need a larger screen because of sight problems. I have GBA, which I mentioned, with all the sim games, a few Final Fantasy and several others, but the screen is too small now and have permanent nerve damage in wrists and hands which makes it harder to hold a smaller object.
Money is also an issue, I don't have it to just go buy any item. The link is to the choices of what I can buy making monthly payments. Out of those choices, with what I prefer for options, is all of what is available for me to choose from. I do a lot of reading and crossword or cryptogram types puzzles, but sometimes, I would rather do something else and listed the few games that would interest me. My wait times can be as long as 6 hours from leaving my home until I return. Thanks (:

In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 1:53 PM
Things to note:
- are those games you mentioned for the Android eco-system, iOS, or Windows RT/Windows Phone? Then you'd need a tablet with that OS so you can reinstall from the appropriate App Store. If the games are meant for Windows (not RT or Phone), then you'd need a "pure" Windows tablet, rarer nowadays other than the Surface 3 or 4 models
- are those games only meant for older Android versions (Honeycomb, Gingerbread or older), or are they compatible with newer ones (Marshmallow, is this still the current version?)...hmm one sec. Yeah, the full list on wikipedia still list "M" (6.0.x) as the current. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history Which means you might have your hands tied on the age of the tablet if you're bound by the game's OS compatibility requirements.
- is 8" or 10"-12" preferable? Once you hit the 10" and higher, then what's the difference to getting a laptop/ultrabook (other than price, that is)? It is going to be cumbersome to hold and play on and most casings can't hold it at the correct angle to watch 2 hours of movies on without flopping over. Even though you need a bigger screen to hold due to nerve and eyesight issues, having to hold a heavy tablet won't help any if it can't stand on its own or you can't see the screen properly with it flat on a table and not inclined at an angle.

I had an 8" Nook Color for my reading until the screen glare annoys me and worsened my eyesight a tad bit (I read at night before bed, so need the backlight). And the weight ensures that I don't hold it for long before tiring. I've now switched to a 6" Kobo Aura for the past 18mths. Much lighter and kinder to my eyes.
And while having the Nook tablet, what annoys me so much about it is the size is too small to watch movies or tutorials on. And I can't find a cover/casing whose stand thing don't wear off after a while and drooped slowly not even 10 mins into standing it up. Which is why I've been looking at the Surface Pro range (with the kickstand hinge) and am now seriously considering the Asus Transformer 3 Pro (Win 10). Still, with my current MacBook Air, I can't yet justify the purchase of yet another new gadget. I'm trying to justify its purchase for programming on Visual Studio, but I know main reason is I wanna try Sims 3 + CAW on tablet hardware.
I wasn't much of a gamer on the Nook, just playing Bubbles and Zuma, or Othello, Solitaire, Mahjong, etc. Nothing too demanding and easily available on whichever tablet OS, so I can't say much about gaming on a tablet.

Dunno if my experiences helped any, but I hope it helps in narrowing it down when identifying the "definitely nots" from the "maybes".