Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 6:28 PM
Default New Patch
http://www.thesims3.com/game/patches/920859580
Quote:
This game update enables dynamic ad serving capabilities in The Sims 3

Yeah, i expected this.

Quote:
Players who play The Sims 3 with game modifications can now create a folder in which to place their game modifications. The folder should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputer\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

When Mods are placed in the official Mod folder, a notification will appear to remind players that Mods are installed.
Placing Mod packages into the Mod folder is an officially sanctioned way to bypass assembly signing verification. The Resource.cfg file must be placed in this folder in order for the modifications to work correctly.
When Mods are installed that are incompatible, the player will receive a message notifying them of the error
Additional bug fixes to existing features

Hmm, interesting. Looks like an easy way to install per-user mods, and it seems to remove the need for the d9dxd dll file. I'm wondering about how the compatibility check works.

Quote:
Story Progression has been improved to prevent Sims required to complete Opportunities from changing.
Sim genetics have been improved so that children now better reflect their parents’ skin tone and hairstyles.

Seems to be a good idea.

Quote:
Sims can unlock outfit choices and share them with household members when using the “Plan Outfit” interaction on the Dresser.

Does anybody understand this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Quote:
Sims can unlock outfit choices and share them with household members when using the “Plan Outfit” interaction on the Dresser.

Does anybody understand this?

I haven't had a chance to go through everything in my copy of Ambitions yet but I believe that relates to the Stylist career and the styling station that you can buy for a Sim's home.
Retired
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 6:41 PM
It might rather refer to costumes unlocked from time travel and careers.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 6:50 PM
What a great patch! My favorite tidbits:

- Lights placed on residential and community lots will now properly display onto the neighborhood

- Sims may now walk and stand on bridges

- Sim genetics have been improved so that children now better reflect their parents’ skin tone and hairstyles.

- Players may now use Create a Style on Ceilings or add and delete them when in Build Mode

- Players may now select the Fiancé, Girlfriend, and Boyfriend relationship settings when in Create a Sim
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 6:51 PM
OK, this makes sense. I will now just install the patch and test the new functions in the world editor and the new build mode options because I won't get Ambitions until Friday.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
I thought this patch was going to introduce certain Ambitions features, such as the 'register as unemployed'? Or did I miss something?
EDIT: Updated - Now to see what's been borked/broken and what I've been miss-guided about. :p

Yeh, I thought this too. I'm gunna check it in game tho.

Just finished downloading the patch. It seems to be loading a lot faster now.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, it just crashed. :S

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:06 PM
So, is the resource.cfg the same one as I used before just placed in the base my documents folder for TS3, or do I need a new one, or do I place the old one in the mods folder?
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:08 PM Last edited by jonha : 3rd Jun 2010 at 3:56 PM.
How to move the Mods into the my documents folder:

Goto
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (path may vary depending on OS and language)

Create a "Mods" folder.

Create a file "Resource.cfg" with the following content in the newly created "Mods" folder (this is different!):

Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

(Of course you may copy your existing Resource.cfg, but as you have to put it into the Mods folder, You have to remove all the "Mods/" in the path names. Just open it in Notepad or another text editor.)

Create a folder "Packages" in the "Mods" folder

Put all the mods in .package format in there as usual. You may use subfolders.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Indeed, it *does* appear to load faster!
EDIT: I just thought that that'd probably be because I've removed my mods to be on the safe side.

I tried it with CC first and it loaded super-quick to the main meny, but then crashed on me. I tried taking out just Hacks (awesomemod, NRass stuff etc.) but it still crashed. Would Buy/Build mode and CAS stuff be fine?? I think its some skins i had.

Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
- Players may now select the Fiancé, Girlfriend, and Boyfriend relationship settings when in Create a Sim

I'm rather disappointed. You can't use boyfriend/girlfriend for teens and the unawesomized game still doesn't allow it, that for example a teen has a brother/sister who is young adult.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:35 PM
There's about to be a lot of confusion. Hopefully in the next few days everything will be all figured out.

Will nearly every mod need to be updated or do most just go in the new folder?

Can more than one core mod finally be used at once?
Test Subject
#12 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Murf
There's about to be a lot of confusion. Hopefully in the next few days everything will be all figured out.

After removing awesomemod from the packages folder (it clearly stated on the load screen that there was issues with the core files, and the main menu wouldn't load completely) everything else seems to be running fine, including custom items, extra CAS sliders (heard those aren't working in ambitions though) and modified lifespan (SLAM). Haven't been testing extensively yet though- probably won't either until a compatible version of awesomemod is released. But so far my non-core stuff seems to be working fine.

Running the mods from the documents folder worked like a charm with a modified resources.cfg file as detailed above. And, as mentioned in the changelog, when entering the game, it gave a popup notice that getdrunk.package had been installed- but nothing of the sort for the dozens of other package files, though they definitely appeared to be working.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:40 PM

You should be able to move most mods to the new directory without problems. i already tested some simple mods like NoIntro and some skin replacements and they work fine.

Script and core mods need to be updated.

Quote:

No. But many things can be done as a "core add-on", like NRaas StoryProgression or SuperComputer who don't conflict with real core mods and have a higher probability to work with patches. But this is nothing new. New is, that you don't need the d3dx9_31.dll in game/bin any more if your mod is in the new location.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 7:51 PM
Well then it seems to me that Modding TS3 will become so much easier.
Scholar
#15 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 8:16 PM
i am looking forward to this...

Players may now add, delete, and move residential and community lots from the Edit Town menu
Players may now add, delete, and move neighborhood decorative objects from the Edit Town menu

oh my the joy of deleting some of those trees in Sunset Valley!!
Retired
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 8:18 PM
The lighting seems to be much improved, but there's an odd blue reflection on some windows. Fresh install, no mods or framework. Odd.

Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 8:19 PM
Well then it seems to me that Modding TS3 will become so much easier.

The patch doesn't change much for creating mods. But it will be a little bit easier to install and manage them, I hope.

Some observations from the new patch:

- Lot placing in Edit town mode works great. It's a little simplified, as you can use only fixed sizes, but there shouldn't be a problem for average users. You can place them anywhere you like, as long as there isn't already a lot and the terrain is routable and you can move and remove every existing empty lot. You can also add, move and remove trees, stones and some (very few) deco objects, but the user interface isn't very good, there is no undo and no eyedropper, and you can't move them up and down as in CAW (at least I haven't fount out how).

- There are even the multi story columns for the base game. They seem to be not very properly implemented, sometimes you can't build on top of them and you can't eyedrop columns with more than one story, but at least we have them.

- You can change the opacity of every makeup (except those funky face masks) which I like very much.

- The tatoo system contains only 6 tatoos or so with the basegame and doesn't really add value. And I had hoped, there were more locations to place the tatoo on. Anyway, I'm not really interested in tatoos, either, so it doesn't really matter for me.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 8:39 PM
I just patched the game and noticed the Opportunity Tracker. That's pretty nifty!
Retired
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:09 PM
Hmmmm. Since patching CAW no longer loads up. *panic*

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:23 PM
I just installed it on my Windows laptop and now Create-A-World no longer works. I get some sort of access violation. Someone else at N99 reported the same thing. Anyone here try it out yet?

The edit-a-world tool is great, except I miss 30 x 40 lots - it's one of the most common sizes for lots, both custom and EA's own, so I don't understand why it isn't included. And I'm really excited about being able to add rocks and trees.

I noticed there's a new category for 'sculptures' in the catalog - with my overfilled decoratives catalog, that has to help keep stuff organised. I'll have to look for that opportunity tracker, it does sound pretty cool.

Of course my main machine is a Mac, which stubbornly tells me it is up-to-date and refuses to display a patch. Looks like EA did it again. I had to wait ten days for the WA patch to become available on the Mac... (and all that time people who had bought the digital download of WA couldn't install it on their Macs...)
Test Subject
#21 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
How to move the Mods into the my documents folder:

Goto
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (path may vary depending on OS and language)

Create a "Mods" folder.

Create a file "Resource.cfg" with the following content in the newly created "Mods" folder (this is different!):

Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

Create a folder "Packages"

Put all the mods in .package format in there as usual. You may use subfolders.

One question.
Should the Resource.cfg go inside the mod folder or outside?
Field Researcher
#22 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:53 PM
im confused. i have mods already, in my folders. like: users/my documents/downloads & program files (x86)/ea/the sims 3/mods. if i update my game do i have to move these mods i have? or can i keep them placed where i currently have them??
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reaper2224
One question.
Should the Resource.cfg go inside the mod folder or outside?

Inside the Mods folder.

@ jesusismyairbag: Yes, this is the old way and it still works. But now you can move the mods from "program files (x86)/ea/the sims 3/mods" to your documents folder, too, if you want this. At least this is now the preferred way by EA.
Test Subject
#24 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 10:11 PM
Does anyone know if this new patch fixes any of the launcher issues? Such as saying custom content is installed, but having it not actually show up in the game?
Test Subject
#25 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 10:25 PM Last edited by Reaper2224 : 1st Jun 2010 at 11:00 PM.
Thanks Jonha.
One problem when I enter my house it doesn't show my sims icons/mood/friends.. anything. This just happened after installing the patch and ambitions. Anybody know why that might of happened?

Edit:
nevermind it was probably due to playing a saved game after taking out awsomemod.
Page 1 of 5