Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:00 AM Last edited by k2m1too : 11th Nov 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Default Sterling Archer - Q for Mods
It's been a while since I posted a new sim-lebrity (and, shamefully, I never uploaded the last 2... 3?... I was working on. For reasons.) Anyway, I thought I would try something a little different this time. This is Sterling Archer, from the animated TV Series, "Archer". I would like to make the whole cast, but I'm going to start with just him for now.

My goal is NOT to make a "cartoon" looking sim, but a more human-ish looking sim. I just want to get that out there straight away.

Sorry for the graininess of the reference photos. They are all pretty small, and these are the largest/clearest I have found so far at the angles I need.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 1:38 AM
this is perfect he is more look real to me...

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:33 AM
Great start! I think the jaw may need to be a bit wider, the nose a little thinner at the bridge and wider at the nostrils to make more of a triangle shape, and the bottom eyelid pulled up so that they don't "droop" so much. From the side, I'd say you could pull the eyes forward some. "Bushier" eyebrows would help but, if none available, these will definitely work. Chin and mouth look spot on to me! Turn the ears out a little bit. Looking forward to an update!
Instructor
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:28 AM
Well, hello! What a handsome man you've made there

Absolutely only thing I have, is that I would either rotate his eyes a tiny, tiny bit (outer side up) or lift the lower lid just a touch. I think it's the size (or angle) of the white area that seems to make him ever so slightly cross-eyed to me.

Either way he's gorgeous - cross-eyed or not

(Have you tried Mamyrockers skin on him? Just out of curiosity - the one he has looks great, and suits the cartoon-inspiration well. I only ask because I seem to be i love with that skin...)

Oh, and great to see you here again
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:04 AM
Great job so far! An interesting thing would be to also take into consideration the original face model Archer was based on, Jason Fitzgerald.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 4:55 PM
I'd say his eyebrows definitely need to be a bit thicker
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 8:57 PM Last edited by k2m1too : 28th Sep 2014 at 9:33 PM.
I didn't wander off again, I promise!

Lets see - Swapped out his eyebrows. (For note, I have over 250 brows and I tried on every pair I have. I'm trying to balance thickness with correct shape. I think the other pair may have been a better shape, but these are thicker and still vaguely right-ish in shape) I fiddled with his bridge and messed around with his eyelids/eye depth/rotation. I tossed on some stubble for fun. I think it is in keeping with the "spirit" of the character.

I appreciate the reference picture of the face model used as the inspiration for this character. I do have that picture and the ones for the rest of the cast. While "inspired by" that RL person, the cartoon character looks a bit different (stronger jaw, for starters) to me. And it is the cartoon character's likeness I'm trying to capture, not the RL person.

Ooo! And I almost forgot - here is a comparison of skins. I couldn't remember if if was Mamy Rocker's "Outstanding" or "A Matter of Skin" that Tiger suggested, so I did both. I don't think I got the same color ramp on all of them, but this is more for a comparison of texture than anything. (I should mention, I run with an HQ mod).

Screenshots
Instructor
#8 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:11 AM
I use A Matter of Skin - I've completely fallen in love with it for guys and gals alike. He looks very nice in it, he's definitely on my download list now - thank you for showing me For a cartoon-inspired character, I'm sure Cakeface is great

I like the stubble - I'm not familiar with the series, so I'm guessing a lot here. But it does seem to suit him.

While I like the brows, I'm on the fence. I'd say that both the brows he's had have pros and cons. I suppose, that means I'm fine with both of them
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:36 AM
If you want to know more about Sterling, and the rest of the Archer cast, you can read up on him at the Archer Wiki.

I'm on the fence about the eyebrows too. The first set had the better shape, but the second set has the better thickness. Not sure what to do there. I'm not very adept at drawing with a mouse, so making my own brows is probably not going to happen.

I just found out he has a pair of tattoos on his shoulder blades, so I'm going to have to work on those before I upload him. I'm wondering - should I upload them individually as I finish them, or as a big group? There would be... 8? (Sterling, Lana, Malory, Pam, Carol/Cheryl, Cyril, Ray, and Dr. Krieger). Then there are a handful of minor characters I might consider doing (assuming I don't run out of steam!)
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 7:30 AM
And because of the potential steam-issue, I'll go with: Upload them individually as you go
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 10:49 PM
Crud... 3 weeks? Really? It's been that long?

Okay... not much of an update, but then there weren't many comments. Based on the pictures in post #7, can I assume that he is "good to go" (face sculpt-wise)? (I'm still on the fence about the brows, but I am leaning towards the original set from post #1 as they have the better shape.) I think I may put him back to his original skin. I *want* to like Mamy Rocker's skin... but I just can't. Maybe it's because I run with an HQ mod, I don't know. It just looks too "grainy".

In the meantime, I've worked on his tattoos. I need an opinion on the quality of them... It's hard getting them positioned just right, especially the "Seamus" one, since it is so close to the arm seam. It gets a bit cut off. (Oh, and these are Ambitions style tattoos, not accessory ones.)

And Q for the mods- when I finally getting around to uploading this guy, do I have to submit the tattoos as a separate upload, or can I just include them with Archer? They are pretty show-specific. And... random curiosity... should I make a simlish version?
Screenshots
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:20 AM
Tattoos are nice and clear! Good work! I think they both might need to be higher. Can you add the pink surrounding "dicky" and add the hears? Sorry, I don't have an opinion about making them in Simlish.
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 7:47 AM
Oh, I think you should stick to the Cakeface skin

I'll personally put him in Mamyrockers, but then, I don't use an HQ anything, so it looks fab for me. But for a cartoon-inspired sim, I definitely think you should avoid it - I was merely curious. And thank you for indulging my whims

I think the sculpt is ready to go. Go, go, go

Because I don't watch the show, I don't really care either way about the tats - but they look like they're spot on.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Tattoos are nice and clear! Good work! I think they both might need to be higher. Can you add the pink surrounding "dicky" and add the hears? Sorry, I don't have an opinion about making them in Simlish.

Add the hears?

I know you all don't watch the show and I should have mentioned this in my post. The tattoo reference picture is from the scene where Archer had just gotten the "dicky" tattoo done. That is why it appears pink/raw like that. (It was the only one that I could find that was drawn square to his back). It really just ends up being the plain black script like the "seamus" one. I'll try and tweak the positioning of them to be a little higher up.

Thanks!
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Add the hears?

I know you all don't watch the show and I should have mentioned this in my post. The tattoo reference picture is from the scene where Archer had just gotten the "dicky" tattoo done. That is why it appears pink/raw like that. (It was the only one that I could find that was drawn square to his back). It really just ends up being the plain black script like the "seamus" one. I'll try and tweak the positioning of them to be a little higher up.

Thanks!

Sorry, I thought it looked like there was a "heart" in the c in the dicky tattoo but I think now it is just "pinkness". Sorry for my typo!
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 1:18 PM
Oh! Haha! yes, I can kinda see that!
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 12:23 AM Last edited by k2m1too : 24th Oct 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Yeah.. okay, so a comment was made elsewhere regarding the tattoos - the font isn't 100% perfect. To quote Archer, "Duh.. and/or hello." It's pretty darn close, but yeah, okay. Soooo... I took a swing at hand editing it to be a bit closer. I mean not 100% still but acceptably close perhaps? Hopefully not totally botched.

And because I'm a nerd... simlish versions...

Screenshots
Scholar
#18 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:23 AM
Very nice! Good job! I like both but especially the Simlish versions.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 3:14 PM
Thanks everyone! Then I think I will consider him "done". I'll leave the thread open for the time being until I upload him.

The next up in the cast-list is probably his momma, Malory. but I've got a good start on Pam and Cheryl/Carol as well. So stay tuned, there is more to come.
Scholar
#20 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 8:01 PM
The only other thing I see is that the sim's eyes appear to be turned down at the outer corners while the model's are more horizontal / straight across. Great job!
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 12:20 PM
Hey Mods - I have a question for you! I made a set of custom tattoos for Archer here (as you can see from post #17). I'm getting ready to upload this cat, and I am not sure how to handle his tattoos - Do they have to be a separate upload, or just a separate .zip in the upload for Archer himself, or what? They are pretty specific to this character.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#22 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 1:03 PM
You can include them as part of your upload.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW