Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 768 (Who?), Viewed: 202944 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 31 of 31
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#751 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 8:12 PM Last edited by Numenor : 12th Oct 2005 at 8:17 PM.
I know the counter you are talking of: it's the "Chiclettina Fjord", right?
Well, that particular counter is composed by three parts (countertop, counterfinish and glass); but the game can handle max two recolourable parts, and then the glass can't be recoloured at all. Sorry!

On the other hand, objects like the windows have a recolourable glass (you need the CEP installed); but the glass hasn't a texture, like the other objects: it has a uniform (transparent) tint, that can be changed opening the Material Definition and tweaking the three values of the parameter "stdMatDiffCoeff" (the three values are simple RGB values, and they range from 0,0,0 = very dark glass to 1,1,1 = white glass).

For more elaborate recolouring of the glass, you may find interesting this tutorial.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#752 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 9:02 PM
ty for the tutorial and about the window texture. no it was the kitchen from Rgiles that i couldent change the windows in. i recolored it into wood kitchen,but the cabbin door window would not become wood.i tryed to open the cabin door.but could not.wouldent load. but i guess its the same as the one u talked about. 3 part recoloring
but i will study the tutorial u gave me,and see what i can learn probably a lot rofl.

ty for taking the time to answere me

and ps i use the newes version of SimPE

anita :wave:
The ModFather
#753 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 9:15 PM
Yes, I know: that tutorial uses a "dinosaur" version of SimPE :p
I should update it... In the meantime, if you feel more confortable, remember that there is a "SimPE Classic" in the same folder as the new "graphic" SimPE. The Classic version is almost identical to that old one used in the tutorial (but it works like the new one!).

As for GRiles' counters, I can't check now, but looking at the colour of that glass, I guess that he cloned the Chiclettina counters... :D

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#754 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 4:47 AM
This seems like a great tutorial, but there are too many steps. Is there any easy way I can recolor the paintings? I want to put my own paintings into the game and hang them. I have a download, i can't remember who it's by, but its a painting that takes up the whole wall (height-wise) does anyone know of any easy ways i can recolor it?

please contact me by PM, thanks
The ModFather
#755 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 11:28 AM Last edited by Numenor : 31st Oct 2005 at 11:33 AM.
Recolouring Maxis paintings is extremely simple!
Open SimPE and choose Tools / Object creation / Photo studio.
The first time you use this function, SimPE will connect to its site and download the needed templates (about 1.4 Mb).
Now, you just have to choose the base painting, load an image (choose an original painting that - more or less - uses the same proportions of your custom picture).

Activate the preview, so you can see if the painting needs flipping or the result is distorted.

Lastly, click "Create" and you're done!

If you want to recolour a custom object, on the other hand, you have to use the standard Object Workshop. The only difference with this tutorial is that, as soon as Object Workshop starts, you have to click the "Open..." button, and browse to the package that contains the wall-height painting.

Test Subject
#756 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 6:48 PM
Car recolor
I have a big problem!
I will recolor the minivan, exactly I will place a writing both side of the car and on the front too. But in the game the minivan's left side is the mirror of the right side. :skull: How can I make a different texture? It needs probably a new mesh? If anybody can help, please write it to me!!!

What's the time? The time is money!
The ModFather
#757 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 8:18 PM
If both sides share the same portion of the texture, the only solution is to create a new UV-map of the existing mesh; but since the UV-mapping info are stored along with the mesh, a recolour package can't work. You need to create a completely new clone, that contains the same mesh (but with a fixed UV-mapping).

I'm not sure if having a writing on the sides worths all this work, but you decide...

Test Subject
#758 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 5:57 PM Last edited by Softwarekiller : 3rd Nov 2005 at 6:07 PM.
Whoa. Ok.
But how can I 'fix' the UV map? I need a new mesh? Or something else? I'm not good at this. Can anybody help me? :bow:

What's the time? The time is money!
The ModFather
#759 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 8:46 PM
In general, creating or modifying a UV map can be done following the explanations provided in this InfoCenter thread.

But that thread only applies to static (non animated) objects, and the cars are animated...

Basically, you have to create a brand new car (you can follow this tutorial), with the only difference that you don't need to create a brand new mesh, because you will re-use the Maxis one. But the Maxis mesh can't be used as is: you have to modify the UV mapping (using the info contained in the InfoCenter thread given above).

Test Subject
#760 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 6:57 PM
The tutorial is great, but a slight problem....
I did a car recolor, the color of the original car changed to the new color in the game. I would like to make other optional colors, like most of the sim stuff. How do I do it?

Thanks
Amberyl
Test Subject
#761 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 7:20 PM
Thanks
I did a really weird screen, it looks rubbish but it is my first thing. Thanks for the tutorial. i would of probably wrecked the game left to my own devices. :bandit: :moose: :moose: :moose: :moose: :bandit:
The ModFather
#762 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 8:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberyl
The tutorial is great, but a slight problem....
I did a car recolor, the color of the original car changed to the new color in the game. I would like to make other optional colors, like most of the sim stuff. How do I do it?

Thanks
Amberyl

It shouldn't be this way: recolours should never override the original; they should be shown in the catalog as additional colour options, just like you want them.

You must have made some mistake...
Are you using the latest SimPE? Have you done something different as described in this tutorial? Have you ever successfully created recolours for other objects than the cars?

Test Subject
#763 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:41 AM
can somone put this tutorial in a MS Word format or text. I don't have WordPerfect on any of my puters! Thanks!!!
Test Subject
#764 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 7:05 AM
I also would like to know where people are getting the textures for the re-colours. I i have Adobe PhotoShop CS and I have a beginner's level knowledge of this great program. Can someone get me the tutorial in a Word format and suggests some ways that I can make my own textures or get the textures. For instance, I want to make a child's room with a popular cartoon character but I have no idea how to make the bedding, the pictures, and flooring & walls.
Test Subject
#765 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 1:29 PM
Thank you very much. This tutorial is great. Even I understand it hehe.
Is there a possibility to get a preview before you export it to the game?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
7th Nov 2005 at 6:02 AM
This message has been deleted by PapaWolfChop. Reason: found what i was looking for
Part-time Hermit
#766 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 6:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumi
Thank you very much. This tutorial is great. Even I understand it hehe.
Is there a possibility to get a preview before you export it to the game?

I don't know know of a way to preview object recolors outside of the game.
Admin of Randomness
#767 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 8:34 AM
To answer several questions:

Indeed, I don't know of a way to preview a recolor outside the game. But you can set up a new game in a new account, so that it loads quickly. Then if I'm testing a recolor I'll buy the object (like a bed) with my bedding on it and save the game before exiting. Then I can 'fix' my recolor, start the game again and my adjusted recolor is right there without buying it again. Hate buying things over and over.

Dyamondgyrl - you should search online for some photoshop cs tutorials as a first step. Do them, even if the end product is not something you can use directly for the sims. You'll learn the different things you can do with photoshop cs and get good at it.

Next, search the web (google has images as an option) for the character you want to use and maybe you'll find a large version on a 'screen background' or something like that you can use. To design your bedding (it doesn't teach editing, just how to lay things out) there is a mini-tutorial right here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=85298

Making the walls and floors - homecrafter that came with your game. Start poking around the tutorial sections of this forum. Try the tutorials. I recommend like with the photoshop tutorials, that you start by actually following the tutorial to the letter. Once you've successfully completed the tutorial and it all came out right, then go ahead and try it again with your particular project in mind.

Bottom line, it takes patience and testing to make things for the game. I've been editing graphics for years, and I still sometimes learn a new technique from a tutorial because, well, I never thought to do it that way.
Test Subject
#768 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 8:56 AM
thank you so much tiggerypum for the information. The only problem that I have now is that I don't what HOMECRAFTER is. My program menu only has Sims2 and BodyShop under it. Please tell me where I can find this. FYI: i also have the latest SimPE. I like this program a lot. I also like Delphy's Mesh Tool although I wish that it was able to maximize on my screen

Anyway, I just figured out how to recolour a bed with a theme.
Instructor
#769 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 2:58 PM
Homecrafter is available to download from Maxis' Sims2 website. SimPE has an option to preview the recolour, but most of the time it doesn't work. I wrote a short tutorial for previewing recolours using lithunwrap: Tutorial: Using LithUnwrap to view Recolours in 3d.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Closed Thread
Page 31 of 31