Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:20 AM
Clothing stencil?
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm trying to make a clothing...stencil...I guess is what'd you call it. Basically I'm making a Beatles shirt, and I want to have "the Beatles" written out on front. What I want to know is do I make it as if I was making a pattern? And if I do that, will it tile over and over? Because I don't want it to tile, I just want it to say "the Beatles" on the front of the shirt one time.

Basically I want my shirt to come out like these:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=347585

(sans the south park characters, of course)
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:39 AM
You don't want a pattern, you want Delphy's Unitool: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=348082
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:42 AM
thank you so much!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 1:28 AM
another question.

is there a set size the stencil needs to be or does it depend on the size of the image itself?

sorry for all the n00b questions
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:25 AM
There's a set size it needs to be to show on the part of the shirt you want it on. You'll be pasting it onto a .dds texture. If you read the lil set of instructions I posted in the thread I linked (post 14), you'll see what texture that is.

Warning: according to that thread, for some reason you can't add stencils to the adult female tee that already has some stencils for it, though you can add them to other shirts :/ I'd strongly recommend carefully reading the whole thread. And you might want to take your questions over there too, since it's not a pattern issue
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 7:54 AM
^_^ I dont know where to ask my question either, ^_^ so since this one has already started I'll go ahead and tag mine along here as well if its okay, o.O the other thread seems to be tech-questions and issues, i dont know if my newbie general question should go there lol.... (correct me if im mistaken!)

but okay lol.... my newbie question is , for the clothing stencils, do they need to be vector images as well? or can we import images of any type?

I really dont understand the whole vector thing yet to be honest, I only learned how to use them for the first time with the regular pattern packager , and all I know about them is that it makes the image look better when trying to resize... and i guess it probably helps with the patterns using vector to be able to smoothly change colors as well? o.O

but since the stencils arent really resized i dont think, and they themselves arent color-changeable, cant i just copy/paste any ol' .gif/jpg/bmp in to the file to work with? or do they still need to be "Vectorized"

thanks! =)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 9:58 AM
Clothing stencils are normal textures, not vectors. So you can use any DDS file you like.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kawaiimiyo
I really dont understand the whole vector thing yet to be honest, I only learned how to use them for the first time with the regular pattern packager , and all I know about them is that it makes the image look better when trying to resize... and i guess it probably helps with the patterns using vector to be able to smoothly change colors as well? o.O

but since the stencils arent really resized i dont think, and they themselves arent color-changeable, cant i just copy/paste any ol' .gif/jpg/bmp in to the file to work with? or do they still need to be "Vectorized")

Like Delphy said, you can use any bitmap (or "raster" image ) you like as a source. The game doesn't use vectors at all, actually... using a vector graphics application is just recommended as a method to get really clean color separations for CaST patterns. Even if you use a vector app to do this, though, you're still converting it back to a bitmap before you import it into the game. DDS is a raster file format, not a vector one.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 2:11 AM
thanks everyone for your replies =) much appreciated!