Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Blender 2.7 TS3 Tools v3.02 updated 5-2-14

by cmomoney Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 8:32 PM - Updated 2nd May 2014 at 4:08 PM by cmomoney

213 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 154 Feedback Posts, 58 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 9
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 17th Sep 2011 at 9:19 AM
Thanks for the tip on splitting, I did read about it before, but misunderstood.

I tested a bit more and you are correct, it works even if I would have nothing selected. But I can still reproduce the error with the original file and I need to unselect the swapped mesh and exit edit mode before it starts working.

I do still get this in the console:
Quote:
C:\...\addons\io_TS3_tools.py:788
Array iterator out of range: (index 22)
Array iterator out of range: (index 28)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\...\addons\io_TS3_tools.py", line 138, in draw
dstex = bpy.data.textures['dropshadow']
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "dropshadow" not found'

rna_uiItemR: property not found: Scene.geoEnum
C:\.....addons\io_TS3_tools.py:788

Yeah, and S3PE acts strange on import, but I'll put that error to the other thread as it might not be related.
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 17th Sep 2011 at 10:34 AM Last edited by misukisu : 18th Sep 2011 at 7:15 PM. Reason: non-working emoticon removed
One more thing... After the S3PE error I switched my locale back to FI (Finnish) and redid the project from scratch. That resulted in much more reasonable looking console output, that actually tells what is being done. It still does contain this:
Quote:
Array iterator out of range: (index 28)
And the generated file cannot be imported to S3PE.

But it looks to me that there is no reason to change the locale for "just in case" as I did.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#78 Old 17th Sep 2011 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misukisu
I tested a bit more and you are correct, it works even if I would have nothing selected. But I can still reproduce the error with the original file and I need to unselect the swapped mesh and exit edit mode before it starts working.

Oh, the problem there is you can export from Edit mode. I didn't realize that's what you were trying to do. As for the dropshadow error, somehow that material and it's texture has been deleted from the scene. It won't hurt anything importing or exporting, but to resolve the error, just start a new Blender session and import the .ms32b again.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 2:16 PM Last edited by misukisu : 20th Sep 2011 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Workflow corrected
Thank you for the help again, and huge thanks for making these tools!

In case other newbies are similar having problems, I am posting my workflow:
  1. Import s3m2b
  2. Mesh your object
  3. Make UV Map
    1. Select island (parts belonging together)
    2. press Y to split it
    3. unwrap island (Method: conformal, use T to see your Tools)
    4. repeat a-c for all islands
    5. select UVs->Average island scale
    6. arrange islands in your map
  4. Apply UV Map (in Texture tab)
  5. Assign material (Material tab)
  6. Assign texture (Texture tab)
  7. Add lights (Blender Tools button)
  8. View your model with textures, check normals
  9. If needed, fix normals (CTRL+N in Edit Mode recalculates normals outside)
  10. Edge Split (CTRL+E -> Mark Sharp, needed for all sharp edges)
  11. Apply Edge Split Modifier
  12. SAVE (if want to use same mesh for low-poly)
  13. Swap mesh (Object Mode, Blender Tools button)
  14. Triangulate (CTRL+T in Edit Mode)
  15. Add to vertex group (in Edit Mode, Object Data tab)
  16. Set faces flat (or smooth for rounded) (press ‘T’ for tools, find these under Shading)
  17. Fix seams (Blender Tools button)
  18. Export s3m2b, overwrite the imported file

It took me quite a while to figure this out, but now I am well on my way creating new objects and the Blender Tools work brilliantly. There are couple of newbie pitfalls there. For example splitting the edges before the UV mapping is a headache. Triangulating too early is another one. Swap seems to lose the Shading settings, and then you need to re-flat, if you did the shading before swap.

The error message that I got at some point seems to be related to flipping faces (after UV map already exists), but with this workflow I do not get it anymore.

Working with Blender is so much more fun than doing the same in Milkshape!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#80 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 4:11 PM
Quote:
Swap seems to lose the Shading settings, and then you need to re-flat, if you did the shading before swap.

What I do is set it to smooth to begin with, then use the Edge Split modifier to make you mesh flat. I was going to automatically triangulate before export, but I didn't want to make non-user changes to the meshes. Maybe I should add it as an option?

I'm glad the tools are working for you. I'm working on a series of tutorials for the whole process now.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 6:04 PM
Great that the tutorials are on they way!

I think it would be a good idea to have triangulate as an option. Maybe fix seams too? But only if there is nothing more important under work.

You do the Edge Split before swapping the meshes? Even when I had my Edges Split and mesh made flat, I ended up with shadows. I tested by moving the faces that the Edge Split really was applied.

By the way, I may have to tweak my workflow... After I went on and selected a test pattern for my object, I noticed that I had ended up with the same UV map problem that ladymumm had. Maybe it is needed to Edge Split before UV mapping. Going to test that...
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#82 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 7:48 PM
Updated 9-21-11
Added Triangulate option and other various fixes. No longer works for .s3asc files.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#83 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:32 AM Last edited by llama_watcher : 22nd Sep 2011 at 4:22 AM.
Help! when I export as a .s3m2b file it says Warning: Export Successful. But the file doesn't show up.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#84 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 8:15 AM
Can you be more specific? Can you not find it in normal Windows file explorer either? Or is it just that it doesn't seem to be in the files you can choose from when you're in the Import s3m2b dialog in s3pe?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#85 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by llama_watcher
Help! when I export as a .s3m2b file it says Warning: Export Successful. But the file doesn't show up.

Are you choosing the original file when you export?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#86 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 11:13 PM
Thank you!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#87 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 1:42 AM
Updated: -increased EZ Bake images size maximum to 2048x2048

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
THANKS POST
#88 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:26 PM
Awsome, thank you!
Test Subject
#89 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
Are you choosing the original file when you export?

No i am exporting from blender.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#90 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 4:53 AM
I apologize for my ignorance, but what MLOD file am I supposed to export? Any? Or is there one that is specific? Also, I already tried importing a random MLOD file that I got, and a "bones" layer does appear, but there isn't a mesh. I am sorry for my ignorance.
Test Subject
#91 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 8:34 PM
Been trying all day now, tried the version in the post and tried the latest .Net 4 alpha versions of s3pe, etc.

I'm attempting to fiddle with the elevator exterior mesh. It imports just fine, but even without any change to the mesh at all, it won't export. Console error:
Quote:
~~~~
adding vertex groups
adding joints
group complete
Array iterator out of range: (index 1)
Array iterator out of range: (index 652)
File "C:\Users\Diriel\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\
addons\io_TS3_tools.py", line 1713, in execute
self.writefile()
addons\io_TS3_tools.py", line 1945, in writefile
tang += (' %.6f' %(tangents[tn][0]))
IndexError: list index out of range

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#92 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 9:55 PM
Can you send me the package? I don't have the EP with elevators.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#93 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 12:12 AM
Can you send me the package? I don't have the EP with elevators.

Sent via PM.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#94 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diriel
Been trying all day now, tried the version in the post and tried the latest .Net 4 alpha versions of s3pe, etc.

I'm attempting to fiddle with the elevator exterior mesh. It imports just fine, but even without any change to the mesh at all, it won't export. Console error:

Updated to fix this issue. Thanks

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#95 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 12:21 PM
Updated to fix this issue. Thanks

Confirmed that's fixed. I can edit and export the exterior just fine now. However a new problem has arisen, but I think it may be me misunderstanding the mesh swap feature.

I'm assuming that this allows me to completely swap the mesh out for another, which it seems to do sometimes, and other times it joins the two selected meshes. Not sure on the circumstances of that. However, after I've managed to get it to swap both groups to the mesh I've made to replace them, I get this on export:

Quote:
Array iterator out of range: (index 230)
addons\io_TS3_tools.py", line 1713, in execute
self.writefile()
addons\io_TS3_tools.py", line 1923, in writefile
uveez += uv_list[vert_index][1]
IndexError: list index out of range

If you'd like, I can send the package file, the mesh I've made as a replacement, and the blend file, so you can actually get an idea of what's happening. (Since I doubt that error helps at all.)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#96 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 3:17 PM
The swapping problem may be caused by the original objects faces not being selected in Edit mode. The script might be assuming that this is true since it is on import. I'll put in a check for that next update, but until then, just make sure the whole original mesh is selected in Edit mode before swapping.

The error you're getting is probably being caused by some loose vertices in your mesh. If you go into Edit mode and in the Select menu choose Loose Verts/Edges, you will see them and be able to delete them. Deleting one or two vertices here and there to delete faces could possibly leave loose ones behind, its better to delete by face instead.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#97 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 8:14 PM
It was lose verts. Didn't even cross my mind.

Looks as though I accidentally duplicated with a vert selected. =s

I had figured that it was a mistake on my part, since the script was trying to process a UV index that seemingly didn't exist. Just wasn't sure quite what I'd messed up. =P

Thanks for all the help, working perfectly now.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#98 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 5:54 AM
No problem, glad to here its working for you.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 12:36 PM
I want to create an object is there is a tutorial for it here ??

what is this program for anyway I don't see anything of it in blender exacpt a folder could bones and it have bones and pose can you explain how this works ?

when I renamed the .model to .s3m2b was it wrong to rename it? or do I need to find a program that export .model into .s3m2b?
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 4:19 AM
I'm having trouble with installing the import/export helpers for getting the mesh into the right file type. i did rerad the intructions at the link you gave, but it's not very clear and really not helpful for people without much technical knowlege!

so: how do you install the import/export helpers and get them working?
Page 4 of 9