Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 5:52 AM
Default CleanInstaller closing during scan
So I debated whether to post this, or just kick my computer and CleanInstaller and tell them to behave, but I decided to go with the less violent option :D.

In an attempt to keep my Downloads folder cleaner and my computer happier, I decided to scan all my downloads and delete those annoying empty packages and repeated items. Problem is, CleanInstaller will scan for a while and then just close. I'm perfectly willing to wait while it scans, I'm not concerned by how long that'll take. The issue I have is the fact that it's closing before it's even completed the Downloads scan. Not very useful, you have to admit.
The first time I tried it, I just left all my background programs running, and then I got a virtual memory low message, followed by the program going into 'no response' mode and the computer locking up. So the next time, I closed the majority of programs - my virus scan, everything but one or two things. Still, the low virtual memory message came up, but I let it continue...and then CleanInstaller closed. Tried again - low virtual memory followed by an immediate close of CleanInstaller.

I don't understand why I'm getting the low virtual memory message, for a start - I've never had a problem before, and I did use CleanInstaller fairly regularly, but that's not the main issue. The main point is that, regardless of the memory status, CleanInstaller shouldn't be closing by itself, but struggle on through and let me do what I want, heh.

Does anyone have any ideas? The only ones I've had is to move some of my subfolders out and scan a lesser number of downloads, but that rather defeats the purpose of looking for repeated files, or perhaps reinstalling CleanInstaller or something in that vein.

Thanks,
~ Nessa

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.

-------------

Avatar courtesy of The Leaky Cauldron
Advertisement
On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 1:01 AM
That's an interesting problem. How much RAM do you have? How large is your downloads folder?

The larger your downloads folder is, the more memory Clean Installer needs. Since you're getting the low virtual memory message, it sounds like you don't have enough RAM to scan a downloads folder of your size ...

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 8:03 AM
Okay, so I checked: I have 256Mb of RAM and my downloads folder takes up 1.15Gb on the disk. I thought I was going to get that really guilty, abashed sort of feeling looking at the size of my downloads folder, but it's actually smaller than I thought it was going to be, lol.
Dad muttered something about upping the paging file size might help (incidentally, I think that's 384Mb, if I found the right area)...I just blinked at him. Most times I understand what he's talking about in relation to computer things, but this one just stumped me, heh.

Just for some extra information, I set my computer doing a Recolour-Base Mesh scan yesterday afternoon after I posted this issue. Took all night, but my computer was still very much alive by the end of the process. I've always felt that SimPE ate up more of my system resources than CleanInstaller did (although I could be wrong about that), so I thought I'd mention it anyway. Probably won't help in at all, but you never know what might trigger an idea.
Which somehow reminds me - there's a 'cigen.package' sitting in my Downloads folder. I didn't think that was supposed to be there and I'm fairly certain it didn't used to be there. Am I just imagining things about that? Again, just another bit of information to try and help in the search for a solution.

~ Nessa

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.

-------------

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 8:10 AM
Hey there, you all.

I was just wondering if anyone's thought of a possible solution to my problem. It's been a while since I posted this issue, so I thought that perhaps there would have been time for others to digest what's going on and give me some suggestions.
I can't guarantee that it's still playing up - everytime I think of testing it, I'm doing something university-related (real life, not Sims, lol), and so can't afford to possibly screw up my computer and interrupt what I'm doing.

Any suggestions?

~ Nessa

-------------

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 11:31 AM
Sorry, sorry...

Ordinarily, I would simply edit my post to add this in, but for some reason it just won't let me. Must have something to do with the strange computer I'm on, lol.
Anyway, just thought I'd mention that I tried running S2PCI earlier today, but no luck - it still closes with no warning. I'm almost convinced it's got something to do with the double of the 'cigen.package' file, one in the Sims 2 folder and one in the Downloads folder, but I don't know what it does so I don't want to go deleting it for no reason and then discovering that my game's munted.

Please does anyone have any suggestions? Before I go insane and haul my computer out the window, heh.

~ Nessa

-------------

On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 1:18 PM
Have you tried adding more ram to your machine? 256MB is hardly enough to scrape by with these days.

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 11:06 PM
Pfft. Do I look like I'm made of money? Lol! I'm your classic struggling university student at the moment. Besides, I've never had a problem with anything before, and I figure why try fixing something that isn't necessarily the issue. It didn't come up with the low memory problem this last time (and possibly a few times before that) - it just closed without warning, and a low virtual memory issue shouldn't shut down the active program anyway. Doesn't really sound like a RAM issue to me, although I'm far from being a computer tech.

I'm more concerned about the extra cigen.package. Do you know what they are/do? It'd be much better to have one, I rather think, except one's larger than the other so it makes it difficult to know which one to delete if it's possible to do so. Any ideas on that?

~ Nessa

-------------

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 11:09 PM
Does it still crash if you reduce the size of your download folder? How many items do you have in total?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 11:44 PM

I haven't tried, I must admit. I certainly shall, however, when I get home tonight, ie. not at university like I currently am, heh.
I'll give it a shot and let you know ^_^

~ Nessa

-------------

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 12:22 PM
Ooooooookay then.

I did as you suggested, Delphy, and reduced the size of my Downloads folder. I pulled out all of my subfolders, leaving only the stuff that I currently haven't categorised in it, so there were about 570 items coming to about 180Mb on the hard drive. I then ran Clean Installer - it started scanning, and then it reached a point where it just sat there and thought about it for a good five or more minutes before closing. No surprise there.
Acting on my own intuition, I then removed the extra cigen.package from my Downloads folder and stored it in the same random place as the rest of my custom content. Ran Clean Installer once more, and lo and behold, it finished scanning within one minute and didn't close.

So, I now know that it's definitely an issue with this cigen.package thing, but I don't know how to fix it. Can I delete one or the other? If so, which one? Or can I delete both of them, and the next time I run the game/Body Shop it'll recreate just one? I have no idea what it's for, lol.

~ Nessa

-------------

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 12:31 PM
You can safely delete cigen, both of them! There should just be one, in the Sims 2 folder, generated only if you run bodyshop. The game will generate a new one as needed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 3:33 AM
Thanking you kindly for helping, tkdjunkie, Delphy and simsample! It'll be nice to actually run CleanInstaller without watching it close, which is possibly one of the most frustrating things I've experienced recently, lol!

~ Nessa

-------------

Test Subject
#13 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 3:54 PM
I am having a similar problem, except when I don't use Task Manager to close Clean Installer, it crashes my whole system. ARG! So, I will have to look for that file in my downloads folder. See if it is the same issue. I have more memory AND more downloads...so I am also going to try divying them up, see if I can pinpoint the troublesome file. (Which is also crashing my Sims game/entire system!)

V
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 3:52 PM
Nessa, check your page file size in XP, to do this go to control panel, click the system icon, then the advanced tab...under performance click the settings button, click the advanced tab on that window and your virtual memory size should be listed near the bottom. It should be a minimum of 1.5x the amount of RAM in your machine; however, I would suggest at least 512-1024 if you have the space on your drive. If you have less than this, click change, tick the custom option and type the new value into both initial and maximum, click ok, and then reboot your machine. You really should have more than 256 RAM just to run XP tho, I'm shocked that you manage to run Sims2 at all. These days you can get a gig of ram for under $100. Anyways hope this helps.