Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 7:15 AM
Default Round 2 Gravel Family
I'm really happy with how this house came out. There seems to be a lot of space for Tyler to roam in. I thought the terrain paint worked out well for the pool area as I have Gunmod's lights installed and it does weird things to pools surrounded by flooring.

Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#102 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 10:09 AM Last edited by wgroome : 8th Mar 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Wow, that's a lot of new entries to wake up to!

katalina522... I will allow people who have already submitted Round 2 entries to change their entry once this time, but for the other rounds, once you have submitted your entry then you cannot change it in any way.... That's why some people are waiting for their feedback before posting their second round entries. We discussed it in posts 55-57 and 59-60.
Riptide651.... overhang is included in the not building the correct foundation criteria, and as such, 0 points will be given for the Foundation Ingenuity section if there is overhang on your building or your foundation is incorrect (except for covered chimneys in a few peoples entries, which the judges and I are allowing for the first round only as the rules were unclear before the submitted their entries!)
Sims40841... Sorry, but I can't accept an entry with no pictures! If you don't change them by the deadline, you won't be allowed to compete.

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Test Subject
#103 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:14 PM
Are greenhouses okay to have?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#104 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:40 PM
jadoreux... Greenhouses aren't allowed as they are a detached external structure.

Test Subject
#105 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:45 PM
Just added my pics. i hope i can still join.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#106 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 7:32 PM
Sims40841... those pictures are far too small for us to be able to judge your house at all! I'll keep your name on the list for now, but you're going to have to change them by the deadline otherwise I don't think we can accept that as an entry. Sorry. There are lots of tutorials on MTS that can help you take bigger, better pictures.

Test Subject
#107 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 9:48 PM Last edited by jadoreux : 8th Mar 2012 at 10:28 PM.
The Barkworth Family.

Dear Mike and Meadow Barkworth,
After reading your family description, I think we've found a great match for you.

This is a quaint log cabin. Small but spacious. Have a look at the photo's for further details.

A two storey cabin, with a balcony. Surrounded by forestry, its the perfect setting for an adventurous couple. And with the large pond in the back garden, fun is right at your (back) door!

On the ground floor, we have an open living room and kitchen, a bathroom and a water closet.

The bath is in a separate room to the loo, to ensure you get to fully relax your muscles after a hard day exploring! Comes equipped with a large bathtub made of all natural materials, and counters that match the kitchen counters.

The kitchen is spacious but homely. There are many shelves to accomodate cooking equipment. The counters are made of pine, to match the cabin. There is a state of the art fridge, and a large breakfast bar. Also, a homemade quilt has been hung on the wall, to give the cabin an even more homely feel.

Here is a shot of the breakfast bar, and the lounge area. There is a large fire place, as you requested. There is also framed local photography of the surrounding views. A beautiful coffee table sets off the whole area.

Here's the First floor. As you can see the master bedroom is just a balcony over the rest of the building. Its an idyllic setting, just as a cabin should be! There is also a patio just off of the master bedroom, which has a fire place, flowers, and chairs to sit and relax!

Here is a close up of the master bedroom. As you can see, you climb a ladder to get to it. There is a large, comfortable bed with a beautiful hand made quilt on it, to keep you warm in the chilly winters! There is also an open wardrobe with no doors, to take up the least space possible. As you can also see, there's a glass panelled door on to the patio.

And the greatest selling point of the property - the large pond! Hidden within the forest, right behind the house, is an incredible pond. Due to the protection of the trees the wildlife thrives, making it a great place to insect hunt, bird watch, and just chill out! There is a double hammock for you both to enjoy the scenery, especially on warm summers days!
At just 60,000 simoleons, how could you resist?

If these photo's are too small then i'll just have to pull out of the competition, as its half ten here and i need sleep for college tomorrow!
Scholar
#108 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 11:31 PM
Round 1: The Gravel Family

After receiving access to a large trust fund, Tyler Gravel moved out of his parents' place in the countryside into this luxurious two-storey house in a prime Downtown location:

Although there was a distinct lack of greenery on the lot itself, Tyler didn't mind. The trees behind the house were close enough but not encroaching, and a few potted plants gave him the extra colour he desired with the minimum of work. Besides, he wasn't interested in gardening; it was the swimming pool he wanted, and the concrete driveway set his prized red sports car off perfectly!

Once his possessions were moved in, the house truly became his own:
Ground floor:

First floor:

The house was perfect; the comfortable lounge holding his funky lippy loveseat and wall-mounted TV:

...the monochrome kitchen with plenty of work-space to make healthy meals (or not!):

...the spacious home gym, another of his little luxuries, with a shower room leading directly off of it:

He keeps his silver trophy displayed in the corner as his motivation to improve, and the large floor-to-ceiling mirror means he can check muscle development while lifting weights!

Upstairs was slightly smaller, but he still adored his bachelor boy's bedroom with its splashes of scarlet against the black and white:

...and as for the guest room? Well, he kept the clean modern lines he liked, but in deference to his mother's preference went with a pastel green colour scheme:

Tyler is already enjoying his new home, and while it is currently a true bachelor pad, he hopes that when he makes it to the top he'll find the perfect sim to share it with.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#109 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 11:59 PM Last edited by wgroome : 9th Mar 2012 at 12:35 AM.
jadoreux... I'm sorry, but those pictures are too small for us to judge! The overhead shots are far too high to make out any detail.

Right, that's it! Round 1 is now closed! My judging is almost complete, and I have some scores from the other judges... however we will need time to finish the rest as we had quite a few entries over the last two days. Once all the scores are in, I will post them here and then PM the feedback to each of you individually. Please don't ask when the judging will be completed, because I don't know... but as soon as I can, I will publish the scores!

In the mean time, start thinking about your Round 2 entry, if you haven't started it already. You do have almost two weeks, but if get a head start we can avoid any extensions which just mess us all up!

Field Researcher
#110 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 12:44 AM
I really enjoyed building my round 1 entry at the weekend and really wish I'd just posted up the non-proper pics I'd taken of it at the time instead of waiting till I'd made a couple of finishing touches (re-adjusting positioning and moving a sim in so I could be in live mode mainly) because I should've known I wouldn't manage to find enough time after. Anyhow, I know the deadline has passed, but it seems pointless having made the house to show and then not show - so is it okay if I still post it? And would I be able to enter the rest of the rounds but just take a big fat 0 as my score for round 1? (Though if judges wanted to give me a hypothetical score and comments I'd appreciate that for learning purposes)

Random and irrelevant note: My spelling/typing is appalling tonight for some reason so typing this has taken me 15mins?! Apologies if there's errors I have missed when correcting...

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#111 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 12:51 AM
Croutonian... Sorry, but since you missed the deadline you can't post your entry here, or join the contest for the subsequent rounds. We already have 27 entries which, I'm sure you can imagine, takes a long time to score and mark, so we really can't add somebody who missed the first round.

Top Secret Researcher
#112 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:00 AM
I understand judging a whopping 27 entries will take quite a while, but around when can we expect the scores to be posted?

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#113 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:03 AM
Riptide651... I said when I closed the round....
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
Please don't ask when the judging will be completed, because I don't know... but as soon as I can, I will publish the scores!

Scholar
#114 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 4:34 AM
My scores are in...finally.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#115 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 2:57 PM Last edited by wgroome : 20th Mar 2012 at 6:31 PM.
Round 1 Scores

Here are the scores for Round 1. You can sort by family or sort the scores in ascending or descending order using the arrows at the top of each column. If you spot a mathematical discrepancy, please PM me! ) The judges' order is not necessarily the same order as the first post, but each set of scores is consistent (the Judge 1 column contains scores from the same judge.)
ContestantFamilyJudge 1Judge 2Judge 3Total
YenkasMontenegro19 (7/4/8)19 (7/4/8)18.5 (4.5/4/10)56.5
aaries16Barkworth21 (8/4/9)17 (6/3/8)18 (6/2.5/9.5)56
ForeverCampMontenegro20 (8/3/9)20 (8/4/8)21 (8.5/3.5/9)61
sandymdhBarkworth25 (10/5/10)19 (8/3/8)22 (8.5/4/9.5)66
SsshBarkworth13 (5/2/6)14 (6/1/7)11.5 (5/2.5/4)38.5
Riptide651Barkworth21 (8/4/9)21 (9/3/9)22 (8.5/4.5/9)64
noteardropsBarkworth16 (7/0/9)15 (7/0/8)17.5 (9/0/8.5)48.5
NollemDMontenegro19 (7/4/8)16 (6/3/7)17 (7/3.5/6.5)52
BuckleyLewis24 (9/5/10)23 (9/4/10)24.5 (9.5/5/10)71.5
whiteriderGravel22 (9/5/8)21 (8/4/9)21.5 (8.5/4/9)64.5
PhaenohGravel23 (9/5/9)22 (9/4/9)23.5 (9.5/4/10)68.5
lunajumper44Montenegro14 (6/0/8)13 (6/0/7)18.5 (8.5/0/10)45.5
armielGravel20 (9/4/7)23 (10/5/8)23.5 (8.5/5/10)66.5
bakafoxGravel17 (9/0/8)16 (7/0/9)15.5 (7.5/0/8)48.5
jones7659Barkworth20 (8/4/8)19 (7/4/8)23 (8.5/4.5/10)62
HencingBarkworth24 (9/5/10)22 (8/5/9)23.5 (9.5/4.5/9.5)69.5
ClashfanGravel19 (8/4/7)16 (6/3/7)14.5 (6/2.5/6)49.5
katalina522Montenegro21 (8/5/8)17 (7/3/7)22 (9/4/9)60
JaguwarMontenegro23 (9/5/9)20 (8/4/8)20.5 (8/3.5/9)63.5
TamlyMontenegro24 (9/5/10)22 (8/5/9)21.5 (8.5/3.5/9.5)67.5
SimsicaLewis24 (9/5/10)19 (7/4/8)20.5 (7/4/9.5)63.5
NatteryakToadMontengero18 (7/4/7)14 (5/3/6)14 (5/2/7)46
lipe2kMontenegro22 (8/5/9)20 (8/4/8)21 (8.5/3.5/9)63
SulyukiMontenegro20 (8/4/8)19 (7/4/8)19 (6.5/3.5/9)58
triciamanlyGravel16 (8/0/8)11 (5/0/6)15 (7.5/0/7.5)42
RoseBud1773Lewis16 (7/0/9)13 (6/0/7)15.5 (8.5/0/7)44.5
Selly_2009Gravel17 (6/3/8)18 (7/3/8)19 (7/4/8)54
So that's Round 1 over with, the feedback has been sent out and now you can all start/keep working on your Round 2 entries. The judges and I would like to remind you of a few things for the future rounds:
  • Please take nice big pictures using either Print Screen or a screen capturing program. Make sure your graphics are set to their highest (you can turn them back down for playing if your computer is slower) and please avoid any UI (such as red pause lines, plumbobs and thought bubbles) and make sure you have no gridlines in your shots!
  • A garden is an important part of the home. Some gardens were left bare/nearly bare.... You don't have to have a beautiful flower show in every garden but please don't just leave the garden and think you're done.
  • This contest is about building homes for families, not just ticking off a list of requirements and then submitting your entry. Please make sure you add decorations, plants, paintings or whatever so that the house looks realistic. Think about windows, colour schemes etc before you press submit!
  • Overhead shots only need to show off the house, not the garden. Please make sure that the house takes up the majority of the picture so we can see lots of detail! If you're house is longer than it is wider, take the picture sideways so that the longest edge of the house is horizontal on your picture!
  • Finally, make sure the foundation is the correct size and shape! This should be obvious, but 5 people lost all their Foundation marks (which works out at 15 points per round!) because their foundation was either the wrong size or, in one case, mirrored (you can rotate the foundation, but not mirror.)

Bring on the rest of the Round 2 entries!

Field Researcher
#116 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:09 PM
Sweet! Thank you judges! Onward to round 2.
Instructor
#117 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:34 PM
Thanks judges for judging so quickly. Because of what was said in post #102 (that round 2 entries already submitted can edit the entries), I edited my round 2 entry images just a tad. I look forward to the release of the round 3 foundation.
Top Secret Researcher
#118 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:43 PM
Wow! Thank You! This is great, I hope Round 3 will open up soon

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 9:55 PM
Default Lipe2k's Round 2 Entry
Hello! I'd like to thank the judges for their time and useful feedback I was really happy with my score. So, now onto round 2! I've chosen the Lewis family.

Dear mom, it's already been a month since we moved into Pleasantview. I'm missing Bridgeport a lot, but life here is so much calmer, and the girls really loved their new school. People here are nice, but they keep talking about some lady who was kidnapped by aliens... Well, crazy people are always around us.

Here's our house!

This is the first floor plan. I don't know why I'm sending you this, maybe you'll find it interesting!

The second floor.

Here's our Lara, still wanting to be Sporty Spice in pink! Don't you think her new room is cute?

Now this is Leanne's room, with all her books. She didn't want her face to be in the picture, you know it doesn't matter how many times we tell her how gorgeous she is, she always thinks she's uglier than Mrs. Crumplebottom!

And finally, this is Lorrie's room! Can you believe she's already in a band here? And even though I've "forgotten" all her hideous band posters in Bridgeport, she has already bought new ones. Layton is already saving to install sound-proof walls in her bedroom...

And this is my new giant suite! Everything is in here now: bed, TV, office... We've also gotten a big bathroom, with two sinks and fancy stuff, like those in your magazines!

And this is us eating some grilled cheese (people are crazy about them in here!).

I'm having two new neighbors over for tea, Dina and Nina. They seem nice but I don't like the way they look at Layton!

I hope you will stop postponing your visit. Planes are not that scary!

Love,
Lucinda.
Alchemist
#120 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 10:58 PM
Default At Home with the Lewises
After weeks of house hunting, the Lewis family finally agreed on this traditional style 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home with pool.

Athletic Lara, who plays on her school soccer team, keeps limber by doing yoga.

Musical Lorrie choose to decorate her room in blue, but spends a lot of her time practicing piano in the living room.

Bookworm Leanne chose the back bedroom which had room for her many bookshelves.

Lucinda was thrilled with her large master suite with private bath and balcony.

Layton is happy when his girls are happy, so life is hopeful for the Lewises!

Scholar
#121 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 5:53 AM
Default Round 2- Lewis Family
The Lewis Family - When Layton and Lucinda found out they were expecting it was the greatest day of their lives. When they found out they were having triplets? Not so much. Now their three daughters (athletic Lara, bookwork Leanne and musician Lorrie) are all teenagers, they are demanding their own rooms. Layton and Lucinda are happy to move, but want a large master bedroom and their own en-suite bathroom.

Front of the House:

First Floor:

Second Floor:

Lara's room:

Leanne's room:

Lorries's room:

Layton and Lucinda's Master bedroom (ensuite bath not pictured):

Living room:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#122 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 7:43 PM
Guys (and gals! ) A quick reminder that Round 3 will open tomorrow (14/03/2012.) Round 2 is still open, and will close in a week's time (21/03/2012.)

Field Researcher
#123 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 10:20 PM
Just to let you know I have made a few very minor changes to my round 2 entry (I had posted well before the scores came out). Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's foundation :-)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#124 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:00 PM
Round 3:

As a reminder, you can select any of the 2 families to build for in this round that you have not yet built for.
The foundation template can be rotated (but not mirrored) and can be placed anywhere on the lot.
Please remember to consider the contest rules and the family's requirements. Good luck!

Round 2 will close in a week's time (21/03/2012) and Round 3 will close on 04/04/2012.

Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#125 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 8:35 PM
This prolly falls under silly questions that you've already answered, but I can't find it. Can we use the decking foundation instead of the regular one for part of the foundation? I like the lattice look of it for my porch.

Page 5 of 11