Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 8:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Camera Controls w/ New Wireless Mouse Doesn't Work
I already used the MTS help section and looked elsewhere, but can't seem to find an answer for this problem.

Since I recently upgraded my wired mouse and keyboard to a wireless infrared mouse and keyboard, I am unable to use the mouse scrollwheel to move the in-game camera to the left or right or up and down. The scrollwheel button just simply won't work at all (does nothing), and I am now forced to click the camera control buttons on the panel in order to move the camera around, which doesn't really allow for fine-tuning the camera view and is also time-consuming and annoying. With my wired mouse all I had to do was click and hold the scroll wheel while dragging the mouse to move the camera around. I want to be able to do the same thing with my new wireless mouse. The scroll wheel works fine in other applications in Windows such as my browser, but not in the Sims 3. I've tried to use the installed software for my mouse to configure the scroll wheel to work in games, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to do it, at least not as far as I can see.

I want to keep using my new infrared wireless mouse and keyboard. It would be a BIG inconvenience to have to unplug and plug my wired mouse and keyboard back in every time I want to play. My wireless keyboard and mouse came together in the same box as a combination. My keyboard is the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and the mouse is the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. I am using Windows XP Pro 32-bit w/ SP3. I have the Sims 3 base game, WA and HELS, with the 1.10/2.5/3.1 patches installed.

What do I need to do to make the mouse scroll wheel functional in-game in order to move the camera around? Also, is there any shortcut keys I could use on the keyboard to control the camera? Anybody know something?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 9:13 PM Last edited by dogpuppy : 16th Feb 2010 at 9:29 PM.
I have the exact same problem, but with Windows 7 and Logitech S520. Same patches! Don't know what to do, because as you said; it's very annoying to not be able to use the wheel. Also, wasn't there an option for sims 2 camera mode in the game options? There isn't one now.

Searched some more and found this in the sims 2 forum: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=387750

Maybe that will help.

*Everything changes. The only thing that does not change, is the fact that everything changes."
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st Dec 2014 at 8:41 PM
Thanks guys
Field Researcher
#4 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 7:41 PM
I have Logitech wireless. The 'key' is to install Logitech SetPoint software and change the middle mouse button assignment. IIRC by default it's set to "Universal Zoom", change that to "Middle Click". That should return the middle mouse button functionality.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Microsoft had a similar utility, but there should be one, and the solution should be similar: assign the scroll wheel button to act as middle button instead of some half-baked 'intelligent flashy' function.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.