Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[OUTDATED] BaseGameStarter Pro v.2.5

by Numenor Posted 5th Nov 2006 at 2:29 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:16 PM by Nysha

Closed Thread Locked by: Numenor Reason: Get the new AGS at [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=250555[/url]
332 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 331 Feedback Posts
Page 4 of 14
Test Subject
#76 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 2:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I am now quite confused. I have 64bit XP, not Vista.
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 2:51 PM
Default Me again
Hi again, just noticed a bug similar to the one I had before, and it looks real this time since I already tried reinstalling 3 times to no effect.

Legacy Body Shop won't load (I tried using it just recently). The link for it just brings up the most recent (BV) Body Shop, with other EP content. My Sims2_LBS.reg has the following entries, but manually editing them out doesn't seem to fix anything (also there are missing/misplaced commas, dunno if it's normal).

"EPsInstalled"=",Sims2SP2.exe,Sims2SP1.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,Sims2EP2.exeSims2EP1.exe,"

Yeah so that's about just much troubleshooting I can handle, so attached again is my AppFiles folder. Thanks in advance; you're doing a wonderful job already fixing other people's problems.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AppFiles.rar (31.0 KB, 10 downloads)

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking.

My download guidelines and strange creations.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 9:39 PM
Ronyu - Yes, that value is not correct. You have UNI, right? then the right string is:
"EPsInstalled"="Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,Sims2SP1.exe,Sims2SP2.exe"

I'm going to check the BGS, because it's obviously buggy with the LBS.

LanaOna - Sorry, I've misread your post: you have XP -
Ignore my previous message and read this one, "translated" for XP.

One workaround is to manually create on the desktop a shortcut to the documents folder, instead of the 'Documents' icon created by XP.
Just drag the icon on your desktop with the right mouse button and when you release the button, choose "Create Shortcut" (you will have two identical icons, at the moment).
Then open the screen properties (tab "Desktop", button "Desktop customization") and UNcheck the Documents option.

Why this workaround? Because the icons created by XP are in total control of XP, while the manual shortcuts contain a path to the documents that can't be easily changed by XP.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other workaround (except rebuilding the icon cache, as explained here): sometimes it seems that the OS rushes to update all the icons as soon as the the mini-game starts, and sleeps when it should do the opposite...

However, the only user that I know of, who had the same problem, solved it removig the Documents icon and replacing it with a manual shortcut.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 10:26 PM
Default Thread Update!

==========================================================

10 OCT 2007 - BaseGameStarter v.2.0e

Fixed a bug that affected only the Legacy BodyShop:
the LBS didn't start correctly.

==========================================================

Thanks Ronyu for the exhaustive and complete error report.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#80 Old 11th Oct 2007 at 1:42 AM
Hey, thankyou so much for sharing this! I only want to use the 'Base game starter' so I can make houses that only require the base game [and then figure out how to upload them onto this site later, lol] so does this just have a icon that you go into and the game loads as if you haven't got any SPs or EPs? And if you want to play the game with all the EPs you own you just go to 'Start Full Game'?
I know this is stupid but if I make things with just the base game and I go into the full game, is the stuff still there? I just wanna make sure. Thankyou!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 11th Oct 2007 at 5:06 AM
Thanks again!

Although I must admit, I just realized that you meant the LBS to run with all the other *pre-Pets* EPs (I thought it should be only the basegame BS as with before). I should have read the change log. :D

Anyway It's all good now, glad to have helped even just a little.

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking.

My download guidelines and strange creations.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 11th Oct 2007 at 9:25 AM
Lauz991 - Your understanding is almost completely correct; when you install the BaseGameStarter, you select only the option "BaseGame Only", and it will create two icons: one for the Base Game and one for the Full Game. The houses created in the Base Game will NOT require any EP (you will find in the object catalog only the stuff from the base game, of course).
When you finish creating and exporting the house, close the Base Game and go to:
(Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame\EA Games\The Sims 2\ExportedLots
and you will find the lot you've created in the Base Game.
Whatever you create in the Base Game (or any other mini-game will NOT be automatically copied into your Full Game: you have to do this by hand.

Ronyu and all the LBS users - The LBS has always been an "Up-to-GLS" BodyShop.
By the way, the LBS is just a remaining from the old BGS versions, but now it's not very useful. It was created because Pets created two main problems:
  1. The Pets-BodyShop stuff was in a format not compatible with pre-Pets game; this problem has been solved with a Maxis patch.
  2. The sims and recolours created in BodyShop, from Pets on, contain all the meshes of the custom hair/clothing/accessories used; this behaviour was strongly disliked by the mesh creators (who didn't want their mesh to be redistributed) and by the sims/recolours creators (who didn't want to breach the creators' redistribution policy).
    Though this last problem has never been solved, you can always create the sims or the recolour with the latest "official" BodyShop, and then use the Clean Installer to remove the unwanted meshes from the package.

So, the LBS is not that useful, by now; I decided to leave it in the BGS because I stil liked the idea, though partly useless. I'm planning to move it to the AnyGameStarter, so to create a highly configurable BodyShop, including only the EP/SP that the user really wants; the only purpose of the upcoming LBS will be speeding up the loading and find the desired clothings easier, due to the shorter catalog; it will also prevent custom content to be unknowingly included in the sims, just like now. Of course, if the AnyGameStarter-LBS will be configured to include any EP from Pets on, then the exproted sims/clothings will include all the custom meshes used.

Test Subject
#83 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 5:56 PM Last edited by paulwirral : 12th Oct 2007 at 6:05 PM. Reason: error
Freezing sims in Cas & BGS help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can anyone please help me with the BGS im trying to make a cas without seasons, tried following the tutorials on here and still cant work it out... i must be thick. im sorry! not sure which options to select when installing BGS, i need to exclude seasons to stop my sims freezing in my custom cas, how do i get a cas lot package without the seasons. the tutorial mentions how to install the program but not how to prevent frozen sims.

please, please, please

P.Wirral
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 7:10 PM
Paulwirral - I see from your profile that you have all the EP and SP, right? then you have two alternatives (choose the one you prefer):

1) Install the BGS with the option "Up to Pets": this way, you can create a CAS lot that will not cause your sims to freeze, and you can furnish it with any object from the base game, UNI, NL, FFS, GLS, OFB and PETS. If you are going to upload this lot, keep in mind that it will require all the EP and SP mentioned above (i.e. up to Pets).

2) If you want to create a CAS lot, still safe from the "freezing sims" problem, and usable by more users, then you can activate the "Base Game only" option in the BGS installer: this way, everyone can use your lot (it will only require the base game), but of course you can furnish it using only base-game objects.

3) (I know, I said TWO alternatives ) - You can choose an intermediate combination between the "Up to Pets" and the "Base Game only": for example, with "Up to NL" you can create a lot using any object from UNI and NL, and the lot will require UNI and NL.

Test Subject
#85 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 8:04 PM
Thank you for that Numenor, i did just try installing BGS with the up to pets option, i never installed the mini games though, when i opened up to pets icon it said insert bon voyage, then when i insert bon voyage it says insert Pets. what options do i need to tick to get a cas without seasons as when i select (check boxes) pets and all exp under this it loads my normal game neighbourhood, im sorry for bein a pain, also were do i get the cas package to put in the BGS Download file for my new cas? i dont know were else to go for help...

P.Wirral
Test Subject
#86 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 9:54 PM Last edited by paulwirral : 13th Oct 2007 at 4:22 PM. Reason: update
Cas/Freezing Sims/BGS Help
Ok, i have been tryin for ages to get this cas working and i still cant, when making one in base game starter were do i get the original cas package? the proper sims directory? im so confused i feel like proper cryin lol, when i install the BGS i tick base game only and tick the box next to up to pets(only), and insert the pets game then when it starts it says please insert bon voyage. any ideas and on the base game only it says put deluxe in then says error insert bon voyage again? so not sure whats happening.

Cheers Paul.

P.Wirral
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 8:51 PM
Paulwirral - First off, be SURE that you have the latest BGS version (2.0e): you seem to be a Sims2 Deluxe user, and the BGS has been made compatible with Deluxe only recently.

That said, the BGS installer can create multiple games at the same time: if you click "Base Game only" and also "Up to Pets", you will get two different icons on the destop, that will start two different games.
You have done right, to put the Pets disc before starting the Up2Pets game: if the game asks for Bon Voyage there is an error.

If you can't solve your problem by redownloading the newest BGS, then you should compress your entire "Documents\BaseGameStarter\AppFiles" folder into a zip and post it here.

As for your other question, about the location of the original CAS!.package, using the BGS is irrelevant: the CAS location is always the same (the BGS doesn't change it.
Remember that there is one CAS for each EP, and they are located in:
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\GlobalLots
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\GlobalLots
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\GlobalLots
etc...
The game, of course, loads only one of them: the FULL game loads the one from the latest EP; the "Base Game Only" game loads the one from the base game, the Up2Pets game loads the one from the Pets folder...

Test Subject
#88 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 10:01 PM Last edited by paulwirral : 13th Oct 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: update
BGS Help.
thanks i will try it out now , i just noticed that my downloads are not showing in the game but are in the folder. Objects dont show make up etc is still there, sorry about all this but i think i know what im doing now.

also in your las t post you mention for me to download BGS 2.0e but when you download it from the below address and start the installation it says 2.0d

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107015

Thanks again.

P.Wirral
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 10:26 PM
I just forgot to update the "2.0d" text in that window, but the version online is the 2.0e

Test Subject
#90 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 1:45 AM Last edited by paulwirral : 14th Oct 2007 at 1:47 AM. Reason: error
Thank you Numeron
Thank you so much, i am so happy, i done it, Yay! thanks Numeron for bein so patient. one more thing can i do the same but add c/c to the downloads folder will i be able to put that in my cas?

Thanks Again

P.Wirral
Test Subject
#91 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 12:09 PM Last edited by mfo : 17th Oct 2007 at 10:01 AM.
Hello ! I'm a frensh girl and I don't speak very well english, so please be nice with my question.

I would first like to thank you for your program, I use it for one year and i've never had a problem.
But now, I cannot create a CAS anymore.
I build the CAS normally, but I can't see it in the game, nor in the mini-game...
I don't know if this image can help you to undestand me, but the package after modification has always the date of creation and not the date of my modification.

I use EP up to Night Life.

Have you an idea please ?

I've forgotten : I have all the expansion or stuff packs
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 2:16 AM
Ehm... I'm not very experienced with CAS! lots, but I don't think they should be placed into the Downloads folder...

Test Subject
#93 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 11:10 PM
(Also posted in the AGS section)

Numenor, it seems to me that AGS and BGS do _essentially_ the same thing. Have you considered/will you consider folding them together? A single program, with an essentially unlimited number of combinations permitted (AGS without the three game restriction), with certain combinations pre-generated at user option at install time (BGS) would seem to give users of either program additional flexibility, while leaving you with only ONE program to maintain instead of two. Sounds win-win to me!
Test Subject
#94 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 8:53 AM
I'm sorry,the problem is not that it can be placed into the Downloads folder or not (It works very well, I've already tested), but that the "package" has always the same weight (615 ko) and the same date of creation (17-08-2005), even after my modifications
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:45 PM
Freetrav - Yes, I've considered that, but at the moment I prefer to keep them separated: they are targeted to different people and follow different principles (easier use for the BGS, more flexibility for the AGS).
Each pre-defined minigame need a folder of its own, as well the three (or more?) AnyGames, it's not advisable to create too many game folders...
From my point of view, the BGS is targeted to less experienced players and creators, that maybe want to create a mini-game and play it for long; the AGS are necessarily short-lived, because in the end you will even forget what EP they contain (since there is no custom icon or such).

MFO - I'm not sure what is the mistake you make, but in any case it's not related in any way to the basegamestarter: it's off-topic here.

Forum Resident
#96 Old 4th Nov 2007 at 1:43 AM
Default Lot built in UNI mini-game freezes and/or crashes
I need your help, please. I am using your program to build new lots and have a problem using your UNI minigame.
I have built a lot in UNI mini-game and everything was ok until I moved it to the minigame lotcatalog, moved it into a campus and tried to enter it in build mode to change it into dorm and/or move a group of students into -> I waited 'hours' but never entered the lot. If I delete the CC from the minigame download folder and then try to enter it my pc crashes! I have also tried to install it by bodyshop installer to the official game (after having uninstalled all eps back to UNI) and I received no message error but as I saved it into a file after the crash/freeze (at least I think this is the reason why), the lot behave the same both when empty and when I try to move a family into . Why no error messages from the official game but then it freezes? and why in basegamestarter pro freezes/crashes? do you think I have to re-build the lot? I enclose my apps as you request. If you need to test the lot pls let me know.
ciao e grazie, Numenor
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AppFiles.rar (166.5 KB, 7 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 1:02 PM Last edited by cwykes : 5th Nov 2007 at 9:35 PM. Reason: extra information to add
I've had similar problems to Alisar with lots. No evidence available, but I thought I'd just say, it's not just Alisar has problems. I have base + OFB + Seasons. No other EPs. I've had problems in base and in OFB games. not tested in Seasons only.

1. One of the lots in your test hood in the lot bin crashed the game when I tried to delete it. repeatedly.

2. moving lots via the lot bin has crashed the game on various occasions - no details noted sorry.

3. I haven't yet managed to install a packaged lot into a base game or ofb only game even when the lot was made in that game. I'm using CI, choosing the destination rather than accepting default and making an import file as well as the lot file. I can see the files in the correct teleport folder. When I play, the lot is not in the lot bin. After I play, the sims2import file has gone, but the lot file is still in the teleport folder. I deleted both. I half suspect this is me doing something stupid..

I've just DL'd the new version so I've no files to send. I figured this would be a known issue and all I had to do was read the thread (thanks for weeding it by the way!) I didn't find anything apart from Alisar's post, so now I'm hoping the problem has gone away with the super new version. If not I'll post files in evidence.

Update
- installed new version - nearly had a heart attack when I saw my folders had all gone! Took me a scary couple of minutes to work out they'd just moved!
- installed a lot from the OFB game into OFB. sims2import file has gone, tmp file still in teleport and nothing new in the lot catalog.
- Here are the app files
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AppFiles.rar (81.5 KB, 6 downloads)
Forum Resident
#98 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cwykes
I've had similar problems to Alisar with lots. No evidence available, but I thought I'd just say, it's not just Alisar has problems. I have base + OFB + Seasons. No other EPs. I've had problems in base and in OFB games. not tested in Seasons only.

1. One of the lots in your test hood in the lot bin crashed the game when I tried to delete it. repeatedly.

2. moving lots via the lot bin has crashed the game on various occasions - no details noted sorry.

3. I haven't yet managed to install a packaged lot into a base game or ofb only game even when the lot was made in that game. I'm using CI, choosing the destination rather than accepting default and making an import file as well as the lot file. I can see the files in the correct teleport folder. When I play, the lot is not in the lot bin. After I play, the sims2import file has gone, but the lot file is still in the teleport folder. I deleted both. I half suspect this is me doing something stupid..

I've just DL'd the new version so I've no files to send. I figured this would be a known issue and all I had to do was read the thread (thanks for weeding it by the way!) I didn't find anything apart from Alisar's post, so now I'm hoping the problem has gone away with the super new version. If not I'll post files in evidence.

Update
- installed new version - nearly had a heart attack when I saw my folders had all gone! Took me a scary couple of minutes to work out they'd just moved!
- installed a lot from the OFB game into OFB. sims2import file has gone, tmp file still in teleport and nothing new in the lot catalog.
- Here are the app files

I am using new version too. With the old version I didn't have this problem but I must say I built in Basegame NL and OFB, never UNI, so I have no true examples: I used UNI and other EPs just to see if a lot was playable, and it was. no crashes in building, only in creating families.
------ just to say - I don't know if it's important - my OS is Vista.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 5:19 AM
I just want to say thanks for ALL you expertise on everything that you have done on this site and many others regarding the Sims 2.... without your tutelage and your downloads, I dont think we could have gotten this far in the sims community.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 2:54 PM
Alisar, Cwikes - Sorry for the delay I reply you.
In the mini-game lot catalog there is one additional lot that shouldn't be there: I don't know why it has been included in the BGS, but it's it is likely to crash some minigames. Just don't use it and don't click on it and you'll be safe.
As for the UNI dorm, I couldn't replicate the problem. I've created a residential lot in OnlyUNI, moved it into the catalog, placed in the OnlyUNI university and changed it to a dorm. Then, I've exported it and installed it in my full game, into my main university neighborhood, and it works fine...

As for the lots that can't be correctly loaded from the Teleport folder, this is not a problem related to the BGS: there are some lots that have problems when installed in other games, I don't know exactly why it happens, but it happens even installing other players' lots in our normal games...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14