Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 9:56 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 9th Sep 2012 at 4:35 PM.
Default Calling All MTS'ers: We Want YOU!
UPDATE - Get your stickers!

If you've been contributing to the wiki, post HERE to claim your prize, and get showered with lots of love!

Even if you already have your wiki sticker, please post your contributions anyways. We still want to give everyone the proper recognition.

Want to help the site?

As you all know, ModTheSims is a huge site that caters to creations for both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 (and a smidegeon-bit to The Sims 1 and Sims Medieval). In addition to downloads we offer creator support, game help and lots of social activities. A lot of what goes on here is brought to you in part by Delphy and a lovely dedicated staff of site moderators and admin. However, sometimes even us staff need help, too.

We realize that there are a lot of members out there who want to have a more active roll at ModTheSims. It's just really hard to figure exactly what *can* be done without any modly hat. So, for all of you who'd like to join us with revitalizing the site, please read on!

What can I do?

There is lots that need to be done around the site. Read the list below to find what area(s) you can help best in.

1. The Sims Wiki

The MTS Wiki is truly the hub for all information regarding The Sims. You'll find tutorials, game help, game play guides, patch downloads and so much more! There are also lesser known goodies hiding on the wiki, too. We have a Hair Gallery, a one stop shop for all hairs made for TS2 and TS3. And, we have two giant content lists, one for each game!

Unfortunately, these have sort of been neglected and haven't been updated in a while. That's where you guys come in! If you have an account (create one, it's free) and/or some wiki experience - or would like to earn some - here's what we need assistance with:
  • Fix Broken Links - This really applies to all areas of the wiki. If you run across a broken or outdated link, fix it. If the link goes to a site/page that's no longer around or relevant then mark it as such and point to an alternative if possible. For example, something like this: "yadda yadda {old link} (this version is outdated, try this {new link} as an alternative)"
  • Update the Hair Gallery (HG) - The Sims 2 HG and The Sims 3 HG are really useful resources for both creators and moderators. It's a quick and easy reference to find great hair for sims, and to determine which hairs are pay or free. The one downside is that it is horribly outdated, especially for TS3. The setup is easy, just add a quick thumbnail of the hair along with who made it and mark it as either pay (red) or free (blue). Again, a check for broken links is needed, too. Please do remember that if a retexture is of a pay mesh, even if the mesh is included, it's still a pay hair.
  • Complete TS3 Gameplay Guides - There are a lot of good in depth gameplay guides for TS3 (and TS2, but those have long since been completed). We're still missing a few of the EP topics, mostly from Pets onward. And, the tricks section is a little bare.
  • Update the Fansites List - Sites come and go, and MTS likes to keep a list of them. The Fansite List needs a revamp. General fixes of broken links, plus adding new sites that are not yet on there. If you do come across a site that is CLOSED (not moved to a new domain, but fully shut down) then mark it as closed. Do not simply remove the link! We still want a history of what used to be.
  • Update the Content List - The TS2 Content List and the TS3 Content List need attention. The number one priority? You guessed it! Fix broken links! Also, new content and/or categories need to be added.
  • Tutorial Splash Pages - Before each tutorial we'd like to add an information page like this one. We want to keep the pretty color formatting, but it doesn't have to be anywhere near as wordy. Just something that explains what the tutorial is for, the difficulty level, tools used/needed and - of course - credit to the author. The page name for the splashes need to be: Main - {Tutorial Name}
  • Pose Database - We'd like to add a pose database here for the site. Both for TS2 and TS3. As of now there is a blank canvas so you guys pretty much have creative liberty here on how to organize.

IMPORTANT:

To make any changes to a Wiki page you need to create an account there first. We STRONGLY encourage you to use your MTS username. That way we can easily see who is doing what and can give you your "Wikid!" achievement sticker for helping out.

Please look before you leap! Meaning, analyze the general format of a specific section before editing it. If you see information on pages X and Y is laid out with tables, don't organize page Z with lists. It's usually as easy as copying one page's code, pasting it into a new page, and then editing it to suit your needs. In fact, a lot of the wiki is built with premade templates and styles that do not require much effort to use.

2. Helping Hands

If you're not very wiki savvy, it's okay! There are other ways you can help the site. There are several forums that need input from our members.
  • The Help Forum - Good at fixing borked up games? If you're good with computers and have the patience for trouble shooting then we'd be more than excited to have you help in our Help & Support Section.
  • Where Can I Find...? (WCIF) - A common question asked by just about any simmer around is "where can I find this?" That's why we have a forum for that! If you have a vast knowledge of all things CC wise, then venture to the WCIF and answer away!
  • Creator Feedback Forum (CFF) - This is one of the busiest forums and we already have a lot of regulars in there helping out creators. To those who are already active there a huge thanks goes out to you! However, there is never a such thing as too much feedback given, so please pop into CFF if you haven't already.
  • Create Forums - Our Modding and Creation section is where creators can come and receive help with their projects. If you are a creator/coder/mesher and feel like you could be of assistance to someone else, then please chime in.
  • Finds - MTS want to give exposure to all creators, even those not on the site. We have a Finds section specifically for that. If you stumble upon something awesome at another site, then submit a finds post for it.

3. Welcome Wagon

Everyone likes a warm welcome when they come into an unfamiliar place. MTS has a Meet & Greet forum for new site members to come and say hi! Why not stop by and give your salutations?

4. Keep Creating!

When ModTheSims2 first came about it was mostly for serious coders who were looking to figure out *how* to mod the game. Once the foundations were laid, then all the pretties you see today came forth. The creators who upload here are really what helped MTS get to the magnitude that it is today. So, last but not least, the most important way to help the site is to keep making awesome content for our games! And, if you haven't created anything, then give it a try. There is more than enough resources for you to get started with, and a helping hand is just a click away.

Ready, set, GO!

Found something that you would like to help out with? That's great! Remember, make sure that it's something you are comfortable with. You can pretty much pick up anywhere, just make sure you get a feel for how that project is being executed first.

If you have any questions or concerns about anything please post them here. If you have an idea to help out that's not mentioned above, then please bring it up. The list given is not a definite one, just a quick outline.

Most importantly, guys, have fun!!

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
11 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 10:08 PM
Would it be considered spam if I updated the sims 3 vehicle Content List with all the cars on my website? lol :P
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fresh-Prince
Would it be considered spam if I updated the sims 3 vehicle Content List with all the cars on my website? lol :P

I don't think so, your cars are awesome :D

Interstellar Traveler
#4 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 10:18 PM
The Wiki is a fun place! and you get a shinny lil' achievement if you help out enough! Even for simple stuff like fixing borked links or organizing a list that may be a little too cluttered! And once you do help out, you get this really warm.. fuzzy feeling inside of you! Maybe I need to get that checked out?

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 10:45 PM
Hey guys, LadyAwesome suggested a pose database here on MTS. I've created a game select page for it. You guys can flesh it out as y'all see fit.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ase_Game_Select

Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 10:58 PM
I noticed that there isn't a link in the FAQ index for sims 2 to this crucial page:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
I noticed that there isn't a link in the FAQ index for sims 2 to this crucial page:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

Added

Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Added

Thanks! It is important for everyone to take a look at it, hopefully, (new) players would stumble upon it.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 12:25 PM
Being able to edit the Wiki is very useful - was able to remove some old broken links to some of my creations I've deleted, and was surprised to find that on the Create A Sim content page for TS3, there was no category for Glasses - the only categories under Accessories were nails and piercings. Unless, Glasses are somewhere else entirely? I couldn't find them. I added a Glasses category under Accessories and linked to all my own glasses in there, so if anyone else here wants to add their glasses, that would be a useful addition.

If there is another listing for Glasses somewhere, let me know and I'll delete what I added and relocate my links to wherever that might be.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:54 PM
I'd love to help out with the Posebox list for the Sims 2, but I'm not confident enough to be the one to start it! :-D I'll keep checking back and will definitely help out when there's some kind of plan for how to do it! :-) I'm not used to working with Wiki's - is there somewhere where people can discuss what layout/formatting etc to use for that page so we could reach some kind of consensus before starting? Otherwise people could work on it then get their work deleted or heavily altered if the next person who comes along thinks it should be done differently.
Retired
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 6:58 PM
I could see if I can track down TVR and possibly get permission to finish off his mostly-done HUGE CAW tutorial. I had asked if he could cross-post that at CAW Wiki but he never got it finished before dropping off the map.

Otherwise, I'll drop into the wiki and make a conscious effort to do misc stuff on the list above after my mum-in-law's stay with us has finished.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I'd love to help out with the Posebox list for the Sims 2, but I'm not confident enough to be the one to start it! :-D I'll keep checking back and will definitely help out when there's some kind of plan for how to do it! :-) I'm not used to working with Wiki's - is there somewhere where people can discuss what layout/formatting etc to use for that page so we could reach some kind of consensus before starting? Otherwise people could work on it then get their work deleted or heavily altered if the next person who comes along thinks it should be done differently.

We've somewhat started the TS3 layout. You could take a peek at that. :D

ETA - for those who have been making headway on the TS3 poses, thanks! Just keep in mind that the poses and creators need to be listed in alphabetical order.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:26 PM
Did Delphy ever upgrade to the wiki version that allows sorting of tables by column?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:37 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 16th Aug 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Ah, awesome :-) A cunning plan! I see that the TS2 one has been started (though it's slightly different to the TS3 one) so I'll see if I can add some stuff to that in a bit :-)

*ETA* I changed it so that it has the same layout as the TS3 one. I hope that's ok :-)
Scholar
#15 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 9:45 PM

ETA - for those who have been making headway on the TS3 poses, thanks! Just keep in mind that the poses and creators need to be listed in alphabetical order.

I finished up (most) of Splad's poses and all of Eternila's, but I'll go fix 'em up alphabetically. I started doing that with Splad's but then got lazy and just went from recent -> old with Eternila's and Juba's.

I know I won't be the only person working on poses, but I was wondering about something. For the photos of poses would it make more sense to use the front page pose (As shown on Pose Creator: Spladoum or with photos of every pose in the set (As shown on Pose Creator: Eternila)?

... I got excited. I have a huge folder with direct links to all the pose sets I use and photos of them. I can't believe that folder is actually becoming useful.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:52 AM
Hm, to save page load time I would say if they have a "group" photo then use that. There's also an collapsable box template that can be used. Maybe have a group photo and then have misc photos in the collapsable box?

An example of the boxes that I'm talking about can be found on my glossary page thingy: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nish_-_Glossary

ETA - Oh goodness, it seems that I never finished my Glossary

Scholar
#17 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:19 AM
Added the drop box to Traelia's Pose page: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=PoseCreator:Traelia

As you can see its not completely done but I think I got the idea done right. What do you guys think?

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Field Researcher
#18 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:41 AM Last edited by DuskTrooper : 17th Aug 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fresh-Prince

FYI, I've been updating that list, so a lot of your cars you would've most likely added have already been added. I'll probably add more a few more later though.

Edit: I finished constructing that list. Now it is time to go and work on some other things.. :p

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:38 PM
what is going 0n
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#20 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:13 PM
RomerJon - We're not currently looking to change the logo. If we do in future, we'll open it up to submissions and there will be a site news article about it. If you'd like to help, there are a lot of other things to be done listed above.

ula - Well, you could read the first post (even just the first bit of the first post) and find out.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 5:50 PM
Which one of you has been pressing disagree on everyone's post? .

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#22 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 5:59 PM
Don't tempt me.... Oh, you did!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
In the Arena
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
is there somewhere where people can discuss what layout/formatting etc to use for that page so we could reach some kind of consensus before starting?
Each wiki page (aka Article) has a Talk page - click on the Discussion tab. But since things are gonna be dumped all on one page, separate each topic of discussion with the Header formatting ie like so
Quote:
==Topic to be discussed here==

Otherwise, I think discussing it here is fine, but you need to provide the page link or we won't know which page you're referring to.

Just keep in mind that the poses and creators need to be listed in alphabetical order.
Dal, why don't we use the Category tags? Then the sorting Alphabetically or by Theme is automated. Reduce human errors, that way?

Also, how about using Galleries? Keep all the images "above the fold" so to speak. I'll edit one and we'll see how we like it?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 7:59 PM
Am I allowed to post outside links to story blogs on the stories page on the wiki? Then people could update the links to their stories and we would have a lot more.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Dal, why don't we use the Category tags? Then the sorting Alphabetically or by Theme is automated. Reduce human errors, that way?

Also, how about using Galleries? Keep all the images "above the fold" so to speak. I'll edit one and we'll see how we like it?

I have no idea what you're talking about, but go for it. Although, I must be honest I'm liking how everything looks right now. Traelia's page is finished and it looks fabulous! http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=PoseCreator:Traelia

Also, re category tags, I would be open to using Category tags to sort by themes, but I don't understand how you would sort creators with this..and have it look pretty at the same time.

ETA - I just did a test on sorting creators and it looks messy to me.

For sorting by themes, there's no way to distinguish which specific set is marked for that theme. The only way I can see the tags functioning properly is if you make a page for each pose set. That seems a bit tedious...

However, maybe there's a more efficient way that I don't know of?

Page 1 of 2