Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 12:29 PM
Default Working with multiple LOD's IE: lod1 / lod1_1
Hiya, me again lol

A while back I tried making a dress with a partially transparent skirt. I read that it has to be done using the lod1_1 and has to be set to simhairsimple, or whatever the correct term was, that part of it I didn't have any trouble with, and aside for some strange lighting which I have since worked out was a normal issue, everything worked fine.

I used the frankenstein method using mesh toolkit etc, everything was ok, no explosions, but the morphs didn't work. Everything that was lod1 worked fine but the skirt itself didn't morph with the rest of the clothing etc.
I've searched for information but can't seem to find anything that matches the problem I was having, could someone possibly explain the process step by step for working with lod1_1 etc or direct me to a tutorial that matches ?

Thanks in advance

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 10:49 PM
I assume you cloned clothes with 2 groups, and Group 0 was maybe the sim body mesh, or the part of the dress without the transparency, and Group 1 was the part of the dress you gave transparency to? (I use TSRW to get clothes clone meshes, btw -- the formal TF/YARedHalterDress is fabulous to clone; works like a charm ).

In Milkshape you have to make sure the group you want the transparency on is completely separate from the rest of the mesh. I recommend deleting everything that is not part of that group. Only export out that transparency-only mesh, as a simgeom.

Then load it into the Mesh Toolkit (all hail the angel of mercy Cmar! ) and assign your bones and morphs using a similarly shaped mesh as the reference -- I usually look for a CC/EA outfit of similar shape, open it in TSRW, export the .wso, open it in Milkshape and immediately export it back out as a simgeom, so that you have a simgeom file you can easily use as the reference, replete with all joints/morphs included).

Once you have both your main body/outfit mesh group and your secondary transparency-only group jointed and morphed, import both meshes back into Milkshape and immediately export them as a .wso, to import into TSRW.

In TSRW, apply your textures and extra information like normal. Then repeat the process for your Medium and Low Level Detail meshes.

When you're completely done, even if the mesh looks like crap in TSRW's preview screen, export the outfit out as a package file (in the Edit menu -- Project Contents).

Then load the package file back into Mesh toolkit, and in the Package tools tab Add Names--it should say redhalterdress yadayada. Save the package again.

Now open the package in S3PE and you'll see the lods listed under Geom. There should be 6 lods listed, if your mesh had 2 groups. (They're in pairs, for example 0 and 0-1, 1 and 1-1, and 2 and 2-1 -- not exactly; I'm just going off of memory! 0 and 0-1 would be your high level detail meshes, 1 and 1-1 would be your medium level meshes, and 2 and 2-1 would be your low level detail meshes). If you made the main body/outfit mesh your Group 0 in TSRW, then it will be the very first lod you see on the list (ie lod 0). Click the one right after it on the list (ie 0-1). Export that second lod out as a simgeom, and it will have some egregiously long file name.

Open that simgeom in the Sim Geom Editor, and in the dropdown list click cashairsimple or whatever it's called, and click Commit and Set. Save the simgeom file again. (I always open it again, just to double check that I assigned it correctly, it should say cassimhairsimple when you open it back up.)

Then go back into S3PE and where that lod0-1 was or whatever it's called, right click it again, and click Replace, NOT import. Replace it with the simgeom you just saved in the Geom Editor. Once S3PE's done, save your package and viola! You can install the package in your game and see how it came out!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 10:58 AM
Ahh it was assigning the bones I was missing. I didn't think that was the problem as the mesh was animated with the sim just wouldn't morph with the sim.

I'll give that a go later, thank you

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks