Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2009 at 11:58 PM
What do you do with your non-heir simmies?
I've always wondered what people do with the unfortunate children that don't get picked as heir/ess.

So what do you do?
Do you kill them off?
Do you move them out and play them?
Or do you leave them in the Legacy Home?

I personally just leave them in the legacy home but try not to surpass 3 gens at the most.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:12 PM
I have never gotten far with Legacy families, but my question usually is "What will I do with the other kids?" But I seldom even get past the second generation as kids, so it hardly matters...lol
Helptato
#3 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:17 PM
I move them into a house of their own, motherlode them a few times, and get them married with kids.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Field Researcher
#4 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:44 PM
I'm not sure I know what a legacy family is ;p
I don't think I've gotten past one generation - come to think of it I haven't actually 'played' sims properly, I've just been creating a lot of stuff and messing about xD
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th May 2009 at 6:55 PM
Once, I released them all as townies, figuring they could continue the bloodline for other families I could play in the future, but then I found out about neighborhood over population. I try not to have too many kids in a family. Three is big enough and I definitely stay away from mods that increase the likeliness of litter births.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th May 2009 at 10:48 PM
That's very interesting, I thought alot more people played Legacies.

And to answer your question, Eliyana, The legacy family was originally a challenge but people took the concept and used it for general game-playing. You start with one heir or heiress, marry them off, then have children. You then have to choose one of their offsprings to carry on the family bloodline. My question to you is, what happens to those unfortunate children that DON'T get picked?

Hope that cleared things up a bit :P
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th May 2009 at 10:53 PM
I get too bored with my main families so I play my 'spares'. I have 3 legacies going on right now (not a legacy challenge though). I try to find a way for my spares to logically live with the main family so they can all age together. If I move them out, I do whatever randomness I want with them. I figure eventually I will cheat to age them to the same age as the rest of their family if I don't end up playing with them at all.

It's hard because I kinda like all my Sims so I want to play them all and do the best for them, including getting them through college.
Instructor
#8 Old 26th May 2009 at 3:25 AM
for me i move them out and start a life of their own, marry a townie, have kids. but if im in a really bad mood i kill them.
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th May 2009 at 5:19 AM
It depends if they got the "good" genes and are attractive enough I move them out and marry them off into another family. If they are too ugly I kill them off. I generally allow my parents to have large families and then pick and choose the best of the children to keep. It's my gene experiment ;P
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th May 2009 at 12:44 PM
[to waterlily]

That's a very darwinian theory thing to do xD

----

Though pretty much what I do, but mostly I just move them out and delete them when they're in the family bin (in my game, it doesn't remove them from the family tree)
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th May 2009 at 3:54 PM
That's a more humane approach to it. I will move them out and get them married as well but I also try and play them equally with the rest of the houses. I have a system where I swap houses whenever there's an age transition in one, or if college sims graduate to the next grade. I used to try and keep them under the same roof to age and die together, and even give them all children, still picking an "heir" to take over the family affairs, run the business, and head the household, but allow them as a reward for their awesomeness to be the only sims whom marry. The others have their children out of wedlock. It worked for a while but I noticed that every generation got exponentially bigger than the last. It got to where I couldn't house them all under the same roof anymore.

I think I might try it again but with more control. Maybe I'll leave them all under the same roof but only "heir" gets to breed.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th May 2009 at 7:41 PM
I've decided that I won't necessarily play my non-heirs anymore unless I feel like it. However, I will give them children and I'll probably grow everyone up via boolProp to keep the integrity of the generations. My heirs will be played to the full with minimal cheats (as per usual).
Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th May 2009 at 7:54 PM
Depends on my mood I guess. I usually try to take turns playing spares. I use the same system darkannie does. Sometimes I just kill them off and delete the tomb stone (I know that's not a good idea), but works for me since I hate seeing familes in the bin (idk why lol).

By the time you read this you've already read it. ;)
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th May 2009 at 8:30 PM
I play with some of my spares, the rest of them spend eternity in the family bin. But sometimes, I just let my angry ghosts to kill them off :P
#15 Old 27th May 2009 at 9:08 PM
I haven`t *killed* any Sims, and I haven`t *let* any die [yet, anyway], so I seem to be working on a neighborhood full of relatives. I keep a file with a list of all my families [families that came with the game aren`t included in the list until I first play them], and I always [except by accident] play the family at the top of the list, and move them to the bottom of the list when I`m done playing. I don`t *have* "heirs" [obviously] since I keep my older Sims from aging with the Green Goop of Life [I still have my first [two] Sims alive and well], but if I did [as I *may* eventually allow some to die of age], I`d still treat them this way.

[I`ve never seen the Legacy Challange rules, but I play a similar style anyway. ]

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Field Researcher
#16 Old 28th May 2009 at 8:32 AM
I haven't done the Lrgacy thing. yet but due to first gen over population (siblings each having 6 kids) I'm finding it hard to get past the 1st generation so I'm having an issue with properly playing the game (I've had it for two years, now) ...no idea how to get past it.
Typical
#17 Old 28th May 2009 at 8:35 AM
I don't do legacys like kitty above me.
Scholar
#18 Old 28th May 2009 at 12:13 PM
I just move them out into a house of their own. They usually have a sweetheart from college that comes with them, and they might have kids if I want, but only if they're pretty. Plus its hell fun reuniting all the spares for parties.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Field Researcher
#19 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by meggie272
I just move them out into a house of their own. They usually have a sweetheart from college that comes with them, and they might have kids if I want, but only if they're pretty. Plus its hell fun reuniting all the spares for parties.

I like marrying people to ugly Townies. I have Christie Stratton and Komei Tellerman together now and after a makeover (no plastic surgery, I don't have the hack and only have the base game) Christie looks fine. They are expecting. I've made a lot of townies playable by moving them in hoping to produce some interesting looking inborn sims.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:55 AM
Oh I could never kill off my legacy simmies - only the npcs that some of them married who were annoying to me, but not my natural borns!

I have done a little of both as far as leaving them in the house till they grow old and die and moving them out. If the household was getting too full, I'd move them out, but as long as I wasn't near the 8 limit, I'd let them stay while the heirs grew up and had more babies.

In the beginning I tried to keep everyone connected to the legacy in the house, getting married, having babies, etc., but that quickly proved to be a folly when my families would get so buggy. I later learned to just basically try for one or two babies to start and then only have one of those continue the generation and so forth.

The farthest I ever got with any of my familes, though, is about generation 7. I've never made it past that without getting some sort of bug or crash that ruined things. And even after having them get to the point that it's too difficult to try to play them without having trouble, I still haven't deleted them. I'm just too much of a softie and too attached! I just let them live their own little simmie lives in simmie la la land!

My avatar pic is actually the beginning generation of my longest thriving legacy family - the Simfisher Family. I still have generation 7 saved at a point where there was an elderly and her niece whom I hadn't gotten a mate for yet. Hmmm, maybe I should check in on them and see if they're playable these days . . . (patches and expansions sometimes get rid of the old buggy families, so who knows?)
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th May 2009 at 3:26 AM
I have an odd system for playing them. I move them out to get rid of crowding in the main house, and then, after every two in-game weeks of playing the main house, I play each spare house for an in-game week. I'm only on Gen 4 with two spares (though I'm gonna have a lot more soon, cause this generation went and had six kids), so it's going well, and some of the spares have pretty interesting lives.

As for their kids, I'm thinking of doing an "heir" system of sorts with them, picking a kid that'll get married and reproduce, while making the rest townies, unless one of them gets involved with a legacy house member, in which case they marry them.

Also known as Skuld Lunrix, just using my MTS2 account from now on ^_^;
Forum Resident
#22 Old 29th May 2009 at 5:16 AM
I usually townify them and bring them back only when they need to age (I don't want someone down the road marrying their great-great-great-great uncle or something LOL)

Quid agis, medice?

My nickname is Purple Ginger
My nickname's nickname is Ping
#23 Old 29th May 2009 at 6:19 PM
I neglected to mention earlier that I too recruit non-player characters ["Townies" & "DownTownies" mostly, but occasionally service characters too] by "Propose.../Move In". I have several households of paired-off former "Townies" [some of whom have children], and two households [staffed only with former "Townies"] whose primary purpose is to recruit additional "Townies" into player characters. I also often have my teen-agers move to University with their NPC sweethearts, which converts the sweethearts into player characters.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:26 PM
I tend to keep the heir at home plus one sibling and move the others out into other houses.

I have deleted spares in the past (from the family bin). It has never occurred to me to make them townies. Hmm, good idea IrishGrace.

Playing Sims 3.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 30th May 2009 at 4:33 PM
I usually play them. I typically like all my sim kiddies and choose heir based solely upon whose spouse I like best.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Page 1 of 2