Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 8:41 PM
Default How many times can Sims 2 registration codes be used?
I want to buy a sims 2 ep bundle on ebay. It includes all the disc & key codes. Will the key codes work even though they've been used? Is there a limit?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 9:26 PM
I'm no expert, but I borrowed my sister's friend's Double Deluxe about 2-2.5 years ago, and I was able to register etc. on my computer. But I'm not 100% sure if she had used the code on her computer, or just bought the game and not played it. I'll ask my sister when I see her.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 9:41 PM
You can install with them an unlimited number of times, but they can only be used for online registration once. Though online registration is pretty pointless now.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 1:14 AM
Thank you both.

I went on EA's live chat today, and after waiting about 15 minutes, the guy told me they can only be used once and to never buy used games. He then told me to buy them off origin... which, by the way, does not even sell sims 2 copies...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 9:23 PM
Yeah, you're not supposed to resell games because waaahhh waaahhh the games industry doesn't make enough money waaaahhh. W/e.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 11:20 PM
Yeah, used games are fine. Most of mine were bought used. It's perfectly legal to reuse games in every intellectual property system I know, though I'm sure the corporations would love to make them self-destruct after a certain period of time.

When you wonder about things like this, consider - what would be counting the number of times you used a code? Your machine can't; and if it did, it will only communicate with the gaming company if you tell it to. And how would it distinguish between reinstallation after a bad install and a new use? It wouldn't work.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 12:00 AM
Most EULAs forbid the reselling or even gifting of games, and also require you to destroy or return the game if the publishers ever ask you to.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mintys
I want to buy a sims 2 ep bundle on ebay. It includes all the disc & key codes. Will the key codes work even though they've been used? Is there a limit?

Thanks in advance!

No there is no limit on how many computers you put it on using the same key code.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 10:47 PM
why thuis topic is still up how do i take the sims 3 off a account and put it on a differant one?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 7:34 PM
Default About Sims 2 and the Codes they no longer store for us...
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Most EULAs forbid the reselling or even gifting of games, and also require you to destroy or return the game if the publishers ever ask you to.

Hi, Nysha:

Origin is not likely to be policing Sims 2 gamers anymore (or so one would hope). I registered all my Sims 2 disks, and my youngest daughter's as well. In 14 years of moving, and storing my old Sims games I have lost a couple codes. If Origin wants to get fussy because I use my elder daughter's code to get a legally purchased disk to work, then they should very well have retained at least access to my old EA codes for me.
I missed the Ultimate giveaway in July; I thought Origin was a hack site until I came here and found out differently. As a result, I cannot play University-- that disk is not supported on these newfangled machines we are running these days--the one regret I have . I can live without Bon Voyage, Apartment Life, and the other stuff packs.

Ah, me...

Any world created is a world alive. Nurture your creation as you would a child, then share it with others, and enrich this world we humans call Planet Earth.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Yeah, used games are fine. Most of mine were bought used. It's perfectly legal to reuse games in every intellectual property system I know, though I'm sure the corporations would love to make them self-destruct after a certain period of time.

When you wonder about things like this, consider - what would be counting the number of times you used a code? Your machine can't; and if it did, it will only communicate with the gaming company if you tell it to. And how would it distinguish between reinstallation after a bad install and a new use? It wouldn't work.

Hi, Peni Griffin:

Since Sims 2 cannot be played without the disks (not legally at least), then there would only be one user actively playing at any given time. I bought several new computers over the past 14 years. I loaded the games, and I copied all my CC to the new comps. I have a right to use the disks on any one or two computers in my home. I doubt EA freaked out and wasted time policing my systems activity. However, I did register my codes...and my kids' codes. I needed to access EA to get them, because I have lost a couple of the user guides over the years. I'm really mad that they didn't have the courtesy to save at least that data for us old users...

By the way: Any disk will load with any code. You were never required to notify EA when you loaded the base game or expansions; it was always an option during the load sequence.

Any world created is a world alive. Nurture your creation as you would a child, then share it with others, and enrich this world we humans call Planet Earth.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:13 AM
Half of my games were bought from amazon because I wasn't interested in certain ones (mostly stuff packs) when they first came out. Almost all of the ones that I bought from amazon did not have the code with them. I googled "key code for sims 2 (insert name of game)" and I got a slew of links that gave you codes for each game.