Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: s2album storybook viewer –w- html blog export

by roachandlazygirl Posted 29th Apr 2005 at 7:10 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:28 PM by Nysha

85 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 82 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
#51 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 2:38 AM
Thank you will give it a try and let you know.....this is great...BlondieTaci
Test Subject
#52 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 4:39 PM
Well my pictures are showing up on the html now... so I am so totally happy with your creation it works great.
Ty so much for putting your time into this.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 5:21 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. I will address it before the next release.

Quote: Originally posted by Selmak
I ran into a small problem earlier while I was editing an album. I added captions to a number of snapshots from an album that can't be accessed in game anymore, to preserve the storyline, but when I loaded up, what I saw was 'Enter a caption here'. I had a look and it seems that the new additions to the album are being saved but with a TextResourceId set to 1. What this does in the XML is say 'this picture needs a caption' so TS2 blanks what is already there.

I got around this problem by editing the XML by hand so that the value was 0 instead.

The Free Sims 2 Nation - http://sims.dbw.org/
The Sims 2 Storybook Viewer - http://www.transamerican.net/s2album/
Test Subject
#54 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 6:48 AM
I am sure I am just missing this b/c i'm dense...
I have tried to send the link, and also the file to a friend to check out the story i have saved html... well the story shows up but the pictures don't. But when I view it the pictures shows. Do you have any clue why this might be happening?
Test Subject
#55 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sasha7617
I am sure I am just missing this b/c i'm dense...
I have tried to send the link, and also the file to a friend to check out the story i have saved html... well the story shows up but the pictures don't. But when I view it the pictures shows. Do you have any clue why this might be happening?

The HTML is still kind of like an outline. If you don't send the picture files with the HTML file, the pictures aren't going to show, because they are missing on the other persons computer.

Anyways, I love what you did with the latest release. v.0.8.0 shows the Title of the story as the header at the top of the page, so it makes more sense when reading through the story. The new HTML save as options are wonderful. I'm excited that I can save it as a storybook in HTML as well as a blog, or a blog with links to larger pictures. It's working beautifully for me! BIG for you, and even bigger thanks, you just made things a whole lot easier for me!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#56 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 11:45 AM
Moving to tools since this isn't a gameplay hack.
Test Subject
#57 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 6:57 AM
Using version 8.0 Beta. Says it's out dated. Link won't take me to site. Get error message. Not impresed with 8.0. Missing pics. I know I took them.
Test Subject
#58 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:41 AM
EP compatible... right?
Test Subject
#59 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 10:22 AM
This looks great, it was just what I was looking for.
But I can't get access to your website.
My IP address starts with 82.92.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#60 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 10:19 PM Last edited by roachandlazygirl : 5th Jan 2006 at 10:48 PM.
I have a new version of s2album available. Bug fixes and improvements! Grab it from the official web site, http://www.transamerican.net/s2album

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 10:22 PM
try now. thank you

Quote: Originally posted by Moondreams
This looks great, it was just what I was looking for.
But I can't get access to your website.
My IP address starts with 82.92.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lillix_sim
EP compatible... right?

Maybe. I don't have EP to test it. If someone with the necessary skills could forward me a tree of the EP file structure under My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 (or whatever EP version calls it) I could examine it to make sure all the snapshots and the XML files still reside in the same place.

It has been about six months since I last worked on this. I have started again just today releasing an update. Look for improvements and new features! Thank you.

Lab Assistant
#63 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 12:02 AM
Wow, I just had a problem with this the other day, when myfamily albums collapsed in the game (too many pics, so they go back in the bin, with loss of comments etc). I even posted a thread about it. While we are still trying to find a way of keeping the album in-game and expandable, yours is a cool alternative. Will start testing now!
Test Subject
#64 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 2:15 PM
This is a really great application and I was overjoyed when I found it. Finally, a way to deal with story albums without having load up the whole game! I downloaded this version (8.0 alpha?) and I haven't had any problems with it (I have both EPs), although I haven't explored everything it can do yet. It's really easy to use and does exactly what it needs to. I hope you'll keep working on it though because this is an awesome tool that would really help anyone who likes to make Sim stories. I can't access your website, though, so I hope if you make any updates you post them here.

Thank you so, so much!

(Also: I think that screenshots and story files are kept in a different place in the EPs than the original game, but it's easy enough to just find the xml files and open them...)
Test Subject
#65 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by roachandlazygirl
try now. thank you

Thank you very much! I can now get access to the site.
I have been testing version 0.8.0 and found no bugs sofar.
You can see the result of what I made with this program sofar here:
http://moondreams.byethost2.com/sims/legacy/
(It's in Dutch, but it just to show what the program can do.)
This is really great, I could include photos that I made while going out in the town.
I have changed the stylesheet a bit.
I think I am going to use this a lot for stories.
I was looking for an easy way to get them online, tried blogs, but that is not what I was looking for. This is just what I needed!

Thanks again!
Forum Resident
#66 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 3:35 PM
Cool
:sci: :baloons: Thanks for this..Now if someone could make a movie maker like The Movies Game or simular in an eaisy to make movies? LOL...Thanks!!!

"This too shall pass, I shall walk and not become weary, I shall run and not faint, I shall mount up with wings like and eagle and fly."
Test Subject
#67 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 2:45 AM
I've used this for about 4 albums now, and I really love the whole idea! Good thinking! I have a couple of things on my wish list and thought I'd mention them. (Now using Ver. 0.8.2)

1) Mouse-overs on the sub-menu pics (such as the Truck, X, and thumb tack on the Edit menu) would be helpful for newbies to the program. I thought maybe the truck was a garbage truck to begin with. LOL Of course, after reading the help file, it makes sense, but it's just a little nicety.

2) The ability to ad pics from other folders would be super-great (unless this exists and I haven't figured out how to do it yet). Lemme explain:

Say I want to make a new story to upload to my own website (ie, not the Exchange) from a lot. So I open the current story file for the lot, "save as" something in another folder, and go to edit it. Now what I'd like to do is to delete all the current pics and add completely new ones without having added them into the story previously in-game. Possible? IOW, whereas with Maxis in-game story-making, we can only make one story per lot, I'd like to create a file in-game, open in the Viewer, re-save as something else and then re-do the pics, thereby making more than one story per lot (without having to create an empty lot with a dummy Sim, etc. ad nauseum....) Does this make sense?
So if I could pick which folder to add pics from, that would be cool. Perhaps that is beyond this type of program (I'd know more if I were a programmer, but I'm a mere webmaster, so I'm clueless). If so, just let me know and I'll stop wishing for it. LOL

3) As a lazy storyteller, having other layouts would be super-fantastic, but as an experienced webmaster, it's not a big deal personally because I can open the code after the fact and tweak to my heart's content (as I did here). Not everyone can do that, of course. And I imagine there wouldn't be too many more layouts to conceive of, although the whole-page, large-pic one mentioned above is a great idea, and having the option of text on the left or right of the pic in the CSS/JS layout would be nice.

4) Proper XHTML markup in the output would be a real treat (such as closing paragraph tags and such), but only important for those of us that are waaaay to picky for our own good, probably.

5) A note in the help files about using single quotes instead of double quotes when authoring the story would help, otherwise the double quotes used to show speach do not show up at all (and yes, I forgot, and two of my stories I replaced all the quotes by hand in the code after the fact. LOL). After looking at the output code, I quickly realized why I should have used single quotes, but others will not realize that.

All in all, such a fantastically wonderful little program, and it makes my job so much easier for getting my stuff on my site! Thank you a thousand times over. :D
Test Subject
#68 Old 24th May 2006 at 3:32 PM
thank you
:google: thank you! this is what I was looking for long time ago :D
Test Subject
#69 Old 27th May 2006 at 6:02 PM
I am very happy with this. Thank you for your work.
Instructor
#70 Old 28th May 2006 at 9:04 PM
This is a nice program, but the icons don't line up with their functions for me. I have to skim along the top of the program screen and look at what tooltips come up under my mouse arrow to open the various functions. I've tried different resolutions, but that doesn't fix the problem.
Forum Resident
#71 Old 1st Jun 2006 at 10:40 PM
Many thanks hopeful I won't lose anymore stories!! I tried to backup stories, but I can't find the writing in the blog part. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Many thanks for the program.
Test Subject
#72 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 2:12 AM
Marvelous! thanks very much!
Hey you ppl are just awsome.
This software works fine so far. YOu don´t know how much I longed for something like this. I had lots of (and i mean LOTS of stories in my neighborhood and had not the slight interest in writing everything again or how to sort out the dozens of pictures.... now i can enjoy and relax... thanks to you all!
Test Subject
#73 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 1:43 PM Last edited by shimifeles : 10th Apr 2007 at 1:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention which version
I've been using this great application for some time now, and it's just wonderful. NEver ran into any trouble at all, until... until today, when I wanted to upload one of my stories to TSR. (Done that before, worked fine - always!) This time the TSR wizard said there was an error in the XML-coding.
Awww, I was soo bugged! Went into the XML-coding (in wordpad), couldn't figure out what was wrong in my latest two albums. It took the hubby only minutes, I felt so dumb... Anyway, I'd written my text in Word before actually compiling the album, and the storybook editor somehow turned my three stops (...) into a one-character of three tiny little stops. It looked funny, and once I knew what it was, it was easy enough to correct the errors (I actually had a few them). Saved the files, started teh upload wizard again, and my story was uploaded fine.
I think it's the copying and pasting that caused this problem. Maybe something to fix in a next release? Thanks!
The version I'm using is: ver. 0.8.2. alpha
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 5th May 2007 at 5:32 AM
The Word problem is a very common issue with Word and pretty much anything HTML or XML based. Word does some very sloppy coding. Always copy your text into Notepad, then copy from Notepad into the story editor. This will remove all formatting.
Test Subject
#75 Old 27th Jun 2007 at 10:35 PM
Okay, I am so confused. I have the 0.8.2 alpha version, and something didn't seem right (I couldn't access anything) so I played around with it a little, and this is what I have to say:

1) When I click "Open" all I get is webentries. (Is it supposed to be that way?)

2) Clicking on every one of them brings up a blue "X" and the message: "error: missing image file", and when I try to upload pictures, there is nothing. And Navigation just says "zero".

3) I only get one neighborhood file, and the rest are crazy entries that could belong to any family, I don't know which ones.

4) Said neighborhood file is the one labeled: "webentry_00000002" which is Strangetown, correct? Problem is, I deleted Strangetown. I don't get Pleasantview, or any other towns.

5) I took pictures to test this, but they don't come up. Inside of the game they come up fine, but outside, when I go to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Storytelling all I get is the webentries, and two of the same picture; the one I took last.

I have all EPs (from University to Seasons) and two stuff packs (Family Fun and Holiday). I really have no idea what's going on, and I would much appreciate help. All in all, it's a great idea and I wish it worked for me. =(
Page 3 of 4