Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:38 PM
Default How to own more than one house in TS3
I am trying to figure out a way to own more then one house on TS3 but I can't seem to make it possible. Any suggestions to how this could be done?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 5:04 PM
You can't, as far as I'm aware. Your family only owns the lot they live on. They can own a number of community buildings downtown, but that's not really the same thing.

"It's sticks and stones and broken homes, that taught us how to smile." - The Bens
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:01 PM
You can build several homes on a big plot of land.Somebody needs to make another landlord mod..I loved that thing
Theorist
#4 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:05 PM
Well, my selfsim owns multiple residential properties, but you have to use a combination of 'evict', 'place', and motherlode

Thats the only way.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:08 PM
Tizerist I'm not following you at all. When you evict a Sim from their home, they no longer own it. Please enlighten us on how you have accomplished this.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:12 PM
Yes, the original query appears to be in regards to owning multiple homes at the same time... Not simply buying a new home and discarding the old one.

But perhaps this is simply a "lost in translation" issue, and none of us know what this thread is about. :D

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Alchemist
#7 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rafa323
You can build several homes on a big plot of land.Somebody needs to make another landlord mod..I loved that thing

Hey Rafa is it possible to just put down a 2nd house on a big lot? I hate building with a passion
Theorist
#8 Old 26th Sep 2009 at 4:46 AM
Quote:
Hey Rafa is it possible to just put down a 2nd house on a big lot?

No. Once something is on a lot, even a plant, you can't plop a house on it.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 26th Sep 2009 at 3:23 PM
You still can't own multiple homes even in TS3? oh, another reason why the Sims 3 team should be fired..

formerly known as DollyL
Theorist
#10 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Tizerist I'm not following you at all. When you evict a Sim from their home, they no longer own it. Please enlighten us on how you have accomplished this.

Basically its like this

1) You must make it so that sims do not randomly move house unless directed by the player. I do this with story progression off, plus awesomemod

2) When you evict the sim from the house, the house remains unnocupied until that sim returns (evict, place again) so that you can have multiple residential lots used only by a single sim.

Technically, they don't own it while they are away, but no-one does, and no-one will live there until the 'owner' returns. I do this all the time in my game.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#11 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 5:09 PM Last edited by bluegenjutsu : 27th Sep 2009 at 5:17 PM. Reason: grammar and to add more
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Basically its like this

1) You must make it so that sims do not randomly move house unless directed by the player. I do this with story progression off, plus awesomemod

2) When you evict the sim from the house, the house remains unnocupied until that sim returns (evict, place again) so that you can have multiple residential lots used only by a single sim.

Technically, they don't own it while they are away, but no-one does, and no-one will live there until the 'owner' returns. I do this all the time in my game.

This is true, technically. Whenever your active sim leaves a home, that home remains unoccupied forever unless you manually move a sim into that house. Sims won't move into that house on their own.

But, you can use any mod that allows pre-made sims to move to another house, they just won't move into your own sims' pre-occupied houses. At least, I've noticed this with homes that I've built for my sims and later had my sims move out of.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 6:20 PM
My original post was directed at a single sim owning several lots at the same time. I wasn't sure if there was a code or a mod out there in which to make this possible. And I think some sort of landlord mod would be awesome where I could rent out several lots and make money off them. I already have dealings in the business's on here as I either own it all or am partner with some. I collect like $30,000+ simoleons everytime I do it. I just wanted to venture into more residential type stuff.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TanyaTurner
You still can't own multiple homes even in TS3? oh, another reason why the Sims 3 team should be fired..

I think they should just higher some of the top modders to work for them.
if they are fired we'll never get another EP from TS3. lol.

about the landlord mod comment I think they should make an EP called Real-estate for people who want to own more than one home, you would be able to rent out and/or live in apartments.
This could work with the Achievements EP where you need to higher the guy that makes blueprints to design an apartment building and they could add contractor to the job list, they would show up at the house and auto build (like rabbit hole job buildings.) if they add a a bank so lanlord sims or just any sim can get loan from to buy a lot and higher all these workers or just expand on the one they already live in.
With the bank if you have the thief job you'll be able to rob from it but your sucess would depend on your skills... oh and if there's a cop sim they could get a call that there's a theif at the bank and would have to go in and stop them.
Instructor
#14 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 9:39 PM
You can own community lots, and you can own homes in vacation destinations if you have a level 3 visa.

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 3:30 PM
Business strategy in Sims 3? Would be nice but they seem to be dumbing down the game, taking out the strategy. I find it very easy to keep my sims happy and well fed, with no real challenges in the game. I miss the challenge of making a business successful or getting decent grades in college or finding a mate with the perfect chemistry. Now its all endless quests and opportunities that you can just ignore without penalty.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Business strategy in Sims 3? Would be nice but they seem to be dumbing down the game, taking out the strategy. I find it very easy to keep my sims happy and well fed, with no real challenges in the game. I miss the challenge of making a business successful or getting decent grades in college or finding a mate with the perfect chemistry. Now its all endless quests and opportunities that you can just ignore without penalty.

There are also lots of people on the various popular forums who say they hate the challenges of the game and want to just play completely sandbox style without anyone prompting them to do anything.

If you want a tougher game, you can install mods that make skilling take longer and a ton of other things to make the game more realistic.

Difficulty is an extremely subjective thing. The EA team can't make you and them happy if those missed opportunities have consequences. This isn't a design flaw or a mark of a game that's too easy, it's a way of letting people decide how they want to play.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kairon156
I think they should just higher some of the top modders to work for them.

i agree. J.M. Pescado, HystericalParoxysm, and Twallan would all be perfect.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheLB
You can own community lots, and you can own homes in vacation destinations if you have a level 3 visa.

Yeah, you can own as many vacation homes as they have available to buy... And if you max out your visa, have the prepared traveler award, and a certificate of partnership or even this hack, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=395834, you would spend long periods of time travelling but you would be able to go from home to home.

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 11:40 PM Last edited by insane_in_charlie_shirt : 19th Jan 2011 at 11:50 PM.
There are plenty of mods like the working phones on community lots and the stoves for community lots which would make it possible to change a house into a 'no visitors allowed' community lot, then you can buy it. (I think :S) and you'd own both. Or if you can't buy a no visitors lot, you could always make it something you can own and just lock the doors... have crowds gathering outside but never getting in, could be funny.

Edit: I'm just going to go see if you can succesfully Townie-proof a community lot.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 12:06 AM Last edited by insane_in_charlie_shirt : 20th Jan 2011 at 1:06 AM.
You can own hangouts, art gallerys and such (Which could be good for constant mood boosts for certain sims) but you can't lock the doors like normal, if you're up for a bit of building you could use those secret revolving doors which close automatically if you set them to. Much less likely to have townies wander into your second homes kitchen. (Especially if you have a strong sim and set the skill level needed to open the door to high.) Downside to this being that you can't really invite people out to your second home.

So... no real way unless you're ready for a bunch of trickery and annoyance :S

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Scholar
#21 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90

Agreed. Its more geared for people that want to be led by the hand through the game the entire way. I personally prefer a more freestyle sandbox type of play and obviously having some directives is good but there's so many (TOO many) directives in TS3 that the game play is narrowed by it. Following game directives (many of which are pointless) just becomes a tedious and purposeless cycle of go ask..., go do..., go make..., go pick up... Puhlease! Enough already. Let go of my hand! Honestly, If I wanted to run around being told what to do every step of the way I'd go play MySims.

Also, it's completely unchallenging to follow game play that has a single positive outcome or no consequences when evaded. Whether freestyle sandbox or game directed play, there should be a set series of actions with varying consequences so the game would be more challenging for either playing style. Do Sims even get fired anymore? Demoted? Autonomously ask for a divorce? Can kids be expelled from school? None of this has happened in my game and if I feel like doing something else with my Sim then my Sims miss work or school. This happens a lot -- but they still stay in school and get promoted at work. WT?!

Frequently opportunities that pop up are inappropriate for the receiving Sims as they have neither the skill or interest for the task. Instead of having your non-cooking ghost hunter being asked to whip up a platter of burgers for a stranger -- it would make more sense to have it be an elective action where any Sim could decide to make a plate of burgers for another Sim household and have either a positive or negative reaction (consequences) for doing so -- ie, if burgers are good Sim gets good moodlet and gains a few (very few) points on their cooking skill level, if burgers are bad then Sim gets embarrassed moodlet and loses a few (very few) points from their cooking skill level. And factor in the recipient's cooking skill level as well so a cooking skill level 8 recipient will not be imporessed by a cooking level 6 Sim's burgers. Logical, right? Also, if a skill required three elective actions be done well in order to reach level 10 then there would be consequences for not doing them or doing them poorly. The opportunities available in the game could be made non-intrusive by being listed in the skill journal for the player to select when they felt like it (without the intrusive pop-up messages and reminders) and players could decide what is appropriate for their Sim instead of being routinely bombarded with things that are random and non-sensical. I really hate being in the middle of something only to have it interupted for a pop-up msg of no significance.

The zodiac signs have brought chemistry back into play somewhat. It's much easier to have Sims hook up if their signs are compatible and you get all the cute romance options like stroke cheek and whisper in ear sooner. I'm glad they bought back astrological signs and the resulting behaviors and best of all --it adds to game play without any directives.

And despite how awkwardly Vamps/celebs/attendance were executed regarding them --bars and clubs have added a new element that can be enjoyed directive free.

As for Sims owning multiple homes (other than vacation homes) --there seems no point unless a landlord system can be incorporated. For me the possibility of home, vacation home and community lot ownership is fine.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th Jul 2012 at 11:06 PM
Well I haven't tried this but maybe if you bought a community lot then turned it into a resendentail lot that might work then all you have to do is build your house hope it works sorry I haven't tried it yet
Eminence Grise
#23 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tetleyteabags
Well I haven't tried this but maybe if you bought a community lot then turned it into a resendentail lot that might work then all you have to do is build your house hope it works sorry I haven't tried it yet

... This thread is more than a year old... see posting guidelines on thread necromancy. Feel free to start a new thread on an old topic if you have new info

As for your suggestion, I didn't think it was at all likely that it would work, but I wasn't sure how it would fail, so I tried it. You can rezone an owned property, but then the rezoned property is no longer owned. The household that owns it will get a message: "the property was modified in Edit Town and it has been sold on your Sim's behalf" (meaning, apparently, that the owner gets their money back, at least).

However, with a couple of mods that allow certain residential objects to function on community lots, you can LIVE on any community lot. The only thing you can't do is have two home addresses, that is, two mailboxes in the same gameworld. Using Twallan's Traveler mod, though, you can own a home in any world you want, including a second copy of your home world, and live and work there.

So for gameplay purposes, there really aren't any meaningful restrictions on where you live, if you don't mind going across town to pick up your bills occasionally :p
Inventor
#24 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 3:19 AM
I'm hoping that we get this capability when Seasons hits. Summer and winter homes anyone?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
including a second copy of your home world, and live and work there.

That only works if you happen to have two different copies of the world installed, each with their own unique name.

If you tried to travel to your own homeworld, the game would simply locate the existing town-file in your save-folder and load that instead.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Page 1 of 2