Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 9:52 PM
I've never heard of him either (being English) but it sounds like ostentation to me. Look-at-me-praying like Look-at-me anything else usually has something else going on in the background.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 9:58 PM
I don't understand what he's done to make himself so hated, personally I think he's sincere (his dad's a pastor, he was born in the Phillipines while his parents worked as missionaries, home schooled most of his life - he obviously grew up in a VERY religious household). He's charitable, respectful, a hard worker and true to himself.

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#28 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 10:20 PM
I think when Maxon expressed that it sounds like ostentation, she hit the nail on the head as to why people react negatively to him. Yes, he has some good qualities, but he's off-putting with the big show. Also he's praying for touchdowns! That's ridiculous! This guy says it better than I do.

I checked out his website and was shocked at the egomania and book and DVD for sale. (The book is about a message for hope - shouldn't he offer that for free?) Are all athletes like that? That commercial? I wouldn't know.

Maxon, here are a couple of pictures:

[/URL][/IMG]

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:06 PM Last edited by fraroc : 16th Jan 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: different pic
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
I don't understand what he's done to make himself so hated, personally I think he's sincere (his dad's a pastor, he was born in the Phillipines while his parents worked as missionaries, home schooled most of his life - he obviously grew up in a VERY religious household). He's charitable, respectful, a hard worker and true to himself.

Just watch these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_OnP4JKi08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50r0CnKq7_k

And don't forget this fucking disgusting cunt.

Makes me throw up just seeing her.
Theorist
#30 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fraroc
Just watch these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_OnP4JKi08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50r0CnKq7_k

And don't forget this fucking disgusting cunt.

I don't see mention of Tebow anywhere, and seriously Westburo? That's the same as saying that all Muslims are terrorists. I know that his religion is against homosexuals but Tebow has not said or done anything against them personally. He is probably against it but at least he has the decency to keep his opinions to himself.

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#31 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:15 PM
That picture keeps coming in large and small...it's weird, can you fix it?

Who is she and why are you bringing her into the discussion?

I have to echo Robod's questions: How does this tie into the topic at hand?

(And, dude...that word...ouch!)

Forum Resident
#32 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:15 PM
Dude, fraroc, give my bandwidth a break. That picture is as huge as the hyperbole you describe it with.
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:23 PM
Iol I fixed it even though I can't stand to see her face.

And to Robodl95, I understand that, but how long until Tebow breaks his silence and says something really hurtful? When (or hopefully if) he ever does, I really hope he thinks it's worth it, because at that nanosecond, Tebowmania would be destroyed.

And sorry for the language, but I just hate Ann Coulter so damn much....
Mad Poster
#34 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:26 PM
Ah! That's who that is! Now I can google her Thank you and thanks for fixing the image. That was crazy.

We can't really fault someone for something he hasn't done yet. It doesn't make sense. I would suggest suspending judgement for now.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#35 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 12:46 AM
Uh-Huh - yeah, VerDeTerre, that's ostentation if you ask me. I wonder what he's trying to suppress.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#36 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:00 AM
Do these genuflection's interrupt gameplay or delay the game in some way? I honestly, do not know, since I do not watch, but it seems like it might be time consuming to get down on one knee and the whole bit. Does he do this multiple times or just once per game?

Is he praying to win? Or everyone's safety? World peace? What?

I think- and this is my personal feeling- is the down on the knee thing is a bit much especailly if he does it more than once. I can see taking a quiet moment before the game to pray about the outcome, if he feels strongly moved to do so. But the good thing about prayer is you can do it quietly in your mind you don't need to be demonstrative or genuflect when doing so.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 3:44 AM
@SimsLover, I don't have the answer about how much time it takes or all the moments he does it. I've only heard that he will do it before the game or after a touch down. Sometimes he points to heaven after a touch town and says, "Thank you". Many athletes will cheer or throw their arms up when they score, so that doesn't sound like anything that would take away too much time, but I don't really know.

I read somewhere tonight that he is teaching others this act of "Tebowing" -dropping down on one knee to pray or give thanks. I think there's sort of an arm pose that goes with it. It's hit the news and some teens were recently suspended for Tebowing in the hallway of their school.

Mad Poster
#38 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 3:44 AM
What made this guy so popular all of the sudden? I swear I started hearing about him only today, but everywhere.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 5:35 AM
Like ALL athletes they pray for:

A good game

Safety of the Players

And win or lose, keep the team as a team. Seriously, alright. Lets go bash other players that pray.

Aaron Rodgers, prays and points to the sky after getting a touchdown

Eli Manning points the sky and thanking god for the touchdown

Shall I continue?

The teams huddle in a group praying BEFORE every freaking game, and ask for a good game and safety of the players. Its not like they are saying:

"Well, I need to pray for everything, and anything. God grant me a gazillion touchdowns"

So, here you go. OH, look they are ALL praying. Hmm, interesting. So to just bash Tebow, then you need to bash all of the NFL players. Because hey, we don't know they may hate homosexuals as well. Come on, seriously! People, just understand, that Tebow NEVER once bashed homosexuals. And if you think that, then you are sorely mistaken.

Praying NFL Players:

Green Bay Packers:

After a Touchdown (Green Bay Packers):

Buffalo Bills Player:

Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars:

Tebow is NOT the only one that gets down on a knee in the endzone, or prayers every time he comes on the field.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Mad Poster
#40 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 5:36 AM
Well, his praying on the field is over for this year. Maybe in the off-season he can pray for a throwing arm upgrade.
#41 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
What made this guy so popular all of the sudden? I swear I started hearing about him only today, but everywhere.

well the broncos just got eliminated from the playoffs so that might have something to do with it
Field Researcher
#42 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 7:43 AM
I think it's interesting that some people applaud gays for coming out, which i have no opinion of either way. Yet when someone you disagree with on a matter comes out, in this case a christian openly praying and not hiding his faith in a closet, who happens to be of an opposing opinion to the OP, well thats just wrong? You know, one of the greatest things i've found in the bible is judge not and you won't be judged. For with what measure you judge someone else, you will be judged in the same way. In other words, remember, while your pointing that finger at someone else, there are 3 fingers pointing right back at you.

I personally try not to judge other people because i'm way too busy cleaning out the trash in my own backyard.
Theorist
#43 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 10:36 AM
I don't think it's really about being offended by the guy being religious, it's about the guy kind of being a dim-witted douchebag (but apparently a nice one, and those are the worst ones) and people reaching for things to slam him for. If he overtly drank, or played The Sims, or whatever, people would latch onto those traits and slam him for it. There wouldn't be any end to it at all if he were homosexual, by the way. Gays would denounce him for crying on television and ruining their image, the American Christian Right would slam that as an indication of all the bad things being homosexual did to you (right along with turning good Christian politicians gay, obviously. They can't help themselves as long as it's legal,) and everyone else would probably just wait for it come up as an excuse for something ("I'm not winning football games because of all of the hate mail.")

He'd still probably be a nice, fairly talented guy in the same exact way as he is now, if after every touchdown he went over to the sidelines and made out with his boyfriend. And it would probably irritate the shit out of some people even if it were that. It's not about what he's doing, it's the attention he's somehow conscripting for doing it. I don't know if he's demanding it or manufacturing it himself, but he certainly doesn't appear to be trying to keep a low key. And, yes, there's nothing wrong with that either - he's an entertainer and his main job, implicitly, is to do stuff that fills seats in stadiums. He's just figured out a way to do it that doesn't have to do with how well he throws the football, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Jesus either. It's all about Tebow. I think that is what's annoying people. It annoyed people when Dennis Rodman did it by wearing dresses and piercing every inch of his body too, but I could see Dennis Rodman running off about how the Virgin Mary helped him dribble and that would probably be just as annoying too.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 12:01 PM
Thank you Nevermore, that was very helpful. I didn't realize that so many athletes prayed that way before and during the game. It makes what Tebow does look a lot more normal.

Now I have a couple of questions and concerns:

* Why does Tebow stand out for something that so many other athletes are doing? Why is the way he prays being copied by so many teens and has been dubbed "Tebowing"?

* When football players go into a huddle, aren't they coming up with a strategy for the next play?

* Praying en mass like that must be comforting to those who share those religious beliefs and practices, but I am wondering if it makes fellow players and fans who do not share those beliefs or practices uncomfortable? Do they feel pressured to put on the same show to fit in? It seems like a group thing in a few of the pictures Nevermore shared and that often ends up with a situation of peer pressure.

And a couple of comments:

* Praying for a good, fair game and for the safety of all players and fans is ok.
Praying for a win is not. In a child, that sort of action and reasoning is understandable, but in an adult, it's just egotistical.

* I've heard and read that Tebow prays for a win and acts as if God is on his side because his team wins. That annoys me and is probably the reason people get irritated with him and make fun of him. Plus, as MisterMook said, he draws a lot of attention to himself. Not exactly humble, is he?

* KJ: I just heard about him before the weekend, probably because the game was this weekend. Check out the link to the Youtube video I gave above: It's Jimmy Fallon doing a spoof of David Bowie and Tim Tebow as one person and it references an upcoming game with New England.

Instructor
#45 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zennia
I think it's interesting that some people applaud gays for coming out, which i have no opinion of either way. Yet when someone you disagree with on a matter comes out, in this case a christian openly praying and not hiding his faith in a closet, who happens to be of an opposing opinion to the OP, well thats just wrong?

I don't really see being openly Christian and praying in public as the equivalent of coming out. Christianity is widely accepted and admired by many in the US, and protected under his right to freedom of speech.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre

* When football players go into a huddle, aren't they coming up with a strategy for the next play?

The QB has a transmitter in his helmet, so he can get play calls from the sideline. Then he tells the offensive team what play they're running, etc. Some QBs call their own plays, I think, but I'm not sure how many, if any.

* Praying en mass like that must be comforting to those who share those religious beliefs and practices, but I am wondering if it makes fellow players and fans who do not share those beliefs or practices uncomfortable? Do they feel pressured to put on the same show to fit in? It seems like a group thing in a few of the pictures Nevermore shared and that often ends up with a situation of peer pressure.

Maybe they develop some of these quirks like dropping to one knee and praying in response to the stress of playing professional sports. I can't imagine being out there in front of thousands of fans and millions of tv viewers. When you eff up, millions of people see it. Plus letting your teammates down, etc. And it's competition - of course, you want to hand the other guy's ass to him on a platter - you can be sportsmanlike, but you can't be Mr Nice Guy. And if you're praying, of course you're probably praying to win. I don't know - it doesn't really seem unsportsmanlike to me, unlike for example the excessive TD celebrations of yore.
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zennia
I think it's interesting that some people applaud gays for coming out, which i have no opinion of either way. Yet when someone you disagree with on a matter comes out, in this case a christian openly praying and not hiding his faith in a closet, who happens to be of an opposing opinion to the OP, well thats just wrong? You know, one of the greatest things i've found in the bible is judge not and you won't be judged. For with what measure you judge someone else, you will be judged in the same way. In other words, remember, while your pointing that finger at someone else, there are 3 fingers pointing right back at you.

I personally try not to judge other people because i'm way too busy cleaning out the trash in my own backyard.

I would like to add to that quote. God even said:

"Thee who judges, shall be judged according to how they judged."

So, lets say you judged a homosexual for him or her being gay. And you say the word hate. Guess what my friend, you will be judged for that hate.

For he did say:

"Love thy neighbor."

So, if a religious person hates homosexuals. Is it right for the homosexual to be offended or should they just turn the other cheek, and say: "That's fine. I may be a homosexual, but I'm happy with who I am. And what I am."

You can NOT judge someone for who they are or for what they do. Because honey, that is not your call. You do not judge them. You just can't. Because if you do, then be prepared to be judged according to how you judged someone. For me, I do not judged. Even if they are my enemy. Because, will it make me feel good? No. It will make me feel like I am just another judgmental bastard.

Thank you, Zennia, for putting that quote up there.

Thank you Nevermore, that was very helpful. I didn't realize that so many athletes prayed that way before and during the game. It makes what Tebow does look a lot more normal.

Now I have a couple of questions and concerns:

* Why does Tebow stand out for something that so many other athletes are doing? Why is the way he prays being copied by so many teens and has been dubbed "Tebowing"?

And a couple of comments:

* Praying for a good, fair game and for the safety of all players and fans is ok.
Praying for a win is not. In a child, that sort of action and reasoning is understandable, but in an adult, it's just egotistical.

* I've heard and read that Tebow prays for a win and acts as if God is on his side because his team wins. That annoys me and is probably the reason people get irritated with him and make fun of him. Plus, as MisterMook said, he draws a lot of attention to himself. Not exactly humble, is he?

* KJ: I just heard about him before the weekend, probably because the game was this weekend. Check out the link to the Youtube video I gave above: It's Jimmy Fallon doing a spoof of David Bowie and Tim Tebow as one person and it references an upcoming game with New England.

Okay, during the beginning of the game, the team will huddle with their coaches, and pray. They will pray for a good game, a good crowd to cheer them on, and for safety for both teams. But on the field when they huddle, they are telling the players the play for that scrimmage.

I got this article. To show how effed up people are, on people who are religious. It goes both way. If Religious people hate gays. Well, then people hate religious people. It seriously goes BOTH ways. Here is the article. Read it. And see the side of someone else.

Football Player Flagged For Praying

And this:

Lions Player Mocks Tim Tebow during a game

My final question, was it right for that Lion Player to mock him?

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Instructor
#48 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 8:22 PM
For me- there is a difference in the certain fundamentalist religious groups using his doctrine to hate on gays, and the gay hating the religious person who does this. The difference to me, is that gays aren't instigating the issue, and certain religious sects/organizations are using their religious doctrine to descriminate or marginalize a minority group or deny them rights. Ignoring the rights of another, and denying them freedom, is very hurtful and harmful, and worse, when the sole justiifcation is a religious belief that not everyone believes.
Theorist
#49 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 5:32 AM
Again though, there's a difference between people and organizations too. Just because you're a member of a club doesn't mean you're bound by contract to act within the pronouncements of that club, unless there is an actual contract - like the one he has with his team owners, agent, and the NFL. I don't know if I've ever heard of lay members of any religion having the same sorts of contracts, so whatever his religious affiliation might be I don't think you can make assumptions on what he's personally doing. And what he's personally doing is bound by his professional contracts, and once they get tired of... anything really, they'll find a way to put a stop to it. Until they've got a financial reason to do so, I don't see it happening.

I'd bet money that he's been approached privately with a list of things they will and will not tolerate, and I'd also bet there's a group of folks at the head office trying to figure out numbers and whether he's a good thing or a bad thing, whether anyone else thinks differently or not. It's not a game, it's a business. Right now they put up with Tebow like the NHL doesn't do anything about fighting in hockey, or how Tyson was allowed to fight right up until the point they decided he was more of a liability than a ticket seller. And none of that's anything to do with talent or how well anyone does as an athlete - essentially if we're supposed to condemn Tebow for his associations with his church we should condemn the NFL for its associations with Tebow... but that seems a bit hypocritical because there are ex-cons, accused rapists, and just normal assholes playing in plain view for decades before Tebow ever showed up. He's a walking ego, but the business thrives on ego. The line between professional wrestling and any other professional sport is a thin one. I'm still wondering how NASCAR pulls these universally wholesome looking white kids into the fold and shuts out the car-bubbas with more skill but less teeth.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 4:32 PM
The idea that that all people are sinners describes certain Christian groups and believers, not all. I, for one, would be impressed with someone who lived their faith through service to others and who strove to be loving as Jesus taught in the New Testament. Someone like that would make an excellent role model.

Last I checked in EVERY Christian bible there is "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23.
So even if you say that all people being sinners is only for certain groups and believers of Christianity, you admit that Christianity is a religion that one can pick and choose what they want to believe. Even if the book of their faith, the Bible, says the can't. So then you get people who are Christian but feel bad about gay bashing and prejudice against other's who are ethnic, non christian, women, poor, and non republican. However, some adopt a new brand of their faith rather than question the over all legitimacy of their faith. It's like trying to figure out if a Big Mac from McDonalds is still a big mac if you take away the second burger, tomatoes, bun, and lettuce.

And also, according to Christians, the last time the world was given a great role model like Jesus, they stood by while he was killed. Oh . . .wait a minute, that was Jesus.

Page 2 of 3