Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 6:40 AM
Default User made objects, not recolors
First, don't know if I put this in the right forum. Please move if necessary.

I just finished downloading a kitchen set from another site and there was a painting that had a remark that it would show up as a new object in the catalog. ????????????? I didn't think it was possible yet. But I'm sure I'm confused about the whole process. I just don't want to put something into my game that's going to mess it up. Please advise! Thanks.

Black Holes are where God divided by zero. -Steven Wright
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 8:23 AM
New meshs are less than 2 weeks old.

If its a painting, its probably a clone of another and is very common.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 10:24 AM
Yes, most likely it is a clone. It's a really bad practice for people to use clones just for the purpose of making their recolor stand out from the crowd. Clones should only be used if new functions are being added.

RG
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 11:01 AM
Well, for a painting it isn't so bad actually...
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 11:29 AM Last edited by RGiles : 23rd Jan 2005 at 12:50 PM.
Daan,

Yeah, it is. Consider that we've got thousands of people popping out hundreds of recolors of paintings each... because paintings are easy. Anyone can copy and paste a square image.

How long would it take before we run out of GUIDs? They are finite. We'd probably like to have some left for EPs, new meshes and hacked objects, not spend them all on paintings. We could easily run out in a year.

Also, just how many paintings do we want the game to have to load (they do slow load times)? And how many do we want to scroll through?

RG
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think I will refrain from installing that part of the kitchen. I need another painting like I need another hole in my head. LOL
Locked thread | Locked by: JWoods Reason: Question answered