Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:55 AM Last edited by SuperSimoholic : 23rd Oct 2014 at 3:31 PM.
Dolls for grown-ups (Not THAT kind of doll!)
Hi.

I was wondering how many people here collect dolls?
I know there are a couple, I've seen people post about it before, but just wondering if there's more.

I wouldn't call myself a collector, but I'm very interested in dolls. When I was young I had many barbies and I enjoyed playing with them well past any of my friends. It was basically The Sims before computers in my life.
I used to hate baby dolls but as I've gotten older I've become increasingly interested in them, mainly plush baby dolls.

I have some Obitsu dolls (they're like barbie sized plastic ball-jointed dolls) and I love them, but I havn't felt confident enough to give them a face-up yet. (their faces are plain, and a face-up is basically just painting the face). I also have a couple of Monster High dolls, I love their flexible arms.

I don't have many dolls though, because I don't have room for them. I love looking at dolls online and making wish-lists of the dolls I would like to buy one day, but my other half (who is the bread winner and only source of income) doesn't like the idea of collecting for collections sake. He doesn't mind me getting a few, the ones I really like, but he doesn't approve of me getting all of them, which is understandable, we're not too well off and it's an expensive hobby.
But, he's started giving me an allowance, so now I don't feel like I have to ask permission to spend large amounts of money (he doesn't mind me spending a £5 or a £10 here or there, but not too often and anything more we need to talk about first).

So with my new allowance, I'm going to start buying some of the dolls I've wanted - Starting with 2 Rubens Barn Baby Dolls!

They're these little plush baby dolls that are about the size of a real baby but not as heavy, and they're also anatomically correct which i think is awesome, specially when it comes to teaching my 4 year old nephew (lives with us) about the difference between him and girls, because he might be having a sister soon. It's going to take about a month to save up, but I'll get them!

What kind of dolls do you collect? Or just have, if like me you don't consider yourself a collecter? (yet, or at all)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 11:11 AM
This is what I think of when I hear dolls for grown ups.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 11:17 AM
LOL I knew I should have named the thread "Doll Collection" but I'll keep it like that because who knows, maybe someone on here actually does collect sex dolls!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 11:56 AM
Wait - how does that work?

No - it's OK, I don't want to know.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 12:45 PM
Just google it. Or not.

On topic. I am not a collector but I do buy one from time to time, though only old (pre-plastics) ones. Most of them are more or less creepy, but each in its own way.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 12:50 PM
My nan collects china dolls, and I love them, but I feel like collecting antique or even vintage dolls would take too much upkeep. Newer dolls are easier to look after.
I want to collect dolls I can play with from time to time, and that seems like something you couldn't do with older dolls because of how fragile they are.
Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 5:29 PM
First thing I thought of was a RealDoll (nsfw), though I guess it is THAT kind of doll. Not that I'd ever want one, because I'm not that creepy and weird. Nope, not at all. Why are you looking at me like that?

In all seriousness, I've just recently become interested in dolls, which is kind of weird because I'm a fully grown man who was never interested in dolls before. Oh wait, not dolls, but action figures, because men don't call them dolls. I actually mentioned to people a couple dolls action figures I might want for Christmas. I really wanted a Walter White action figure. Although I guess he will be harder to find now that ToysRUs has pulled them. 2nd choice might be Tyrion Lannister.

Kind of thought it might be cool to get a 3D printer and make my own figurines of my favorite video game characters and sims. Probably prohibitively expensive though.

Resident wet blanket.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:20 PM
I'm being totally serious when I say I'd love to own a RealDoll. Not for sexual purposes though, just like, who WOULDN'T want a life-sized doll? I had one that was the same hight as me when I was very young and It was awesome.

Action figures are cool, my partner's brother got some when he was going to college. He's got an Alien (Xenomorph) one and some of characters from various computer games.
They're good for display purposes, but not so much to play with.
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
First thing I thought of was a RealDoll (nsfw), though I guess it is THAT kind of doll. Not that I'd ever want one, because I'm not that creepy and weird. Nope, not at all. Why are you looking at me like that?

In all seriousness, I've just recently become interested in dolls, which is kind of weird because I'm a fully grown man who was never interested in dolls before. Oh wait, not dolls, but action figures, because men don't call them dolls. I actually mentioned to people a couple dolls action figures I might want for Christmas. I really wanted a Walter White action figure. Although I guess he will be harder to find now that ToysRUs has pulled them. 2nd choice might be Tyrion Lannister.

Kind of thought it might be cool to get a 3D printer and make my own figurines of my favorite video game characters and sims. Probably prohibitively expensive though.

I have a Legolas action figure from when I was a kid in the same style of that Tyrion one. During Christmas I always put it among the shepherds in my mother's nativity scene.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Inventor
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:47 PM
This is of topic, but the title-change made me laugh a little.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 9:17 PM
This thread reminded me of this creepfest
http://www.humanbarbie.org/uploads/...9564095.jpg?490
Her name is Valeria Lukyanova, and yes, she is an actual living human being..

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Scholar
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
This thread reminded me of this creepfest

Her name is Valeria Lukyanova, and yes, she is an actual living human being..

Is she that Barbie-person?
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IrishA03
Is she that Barbie-person?

yes she is
she used to look normal but she had a lot of plastic surgery because she wanted to look like a barbie
before and after:

look she even has a human ken (Justin Jedlica):
Scholar
#14 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
yes she is
she used to look normal but she had a lot of plastic surgery because she wanted to look like a barbie
before and after:

look she even has a human ken (Justin Jedlica):

Wow she was beautiful!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 12:27 AM
I remember when life-size dolls were for sale for women to put in the passenger seat of their car, or in front of a window of their home. Idea was this would make bad guy think she had a man for protection.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I remember when life-size dolls were for sale for women to put in the passenger seat of their car, or in front of a window of their home. Idea was this would make bad guy think she had a man for protection.

this reminds me of the inflatable automatic pilot in the movie Airplane
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
I wouldn't call myself a collector, but I'm very interested in dolls.

Me too. I just found my Shirley Temple Ideal doll (1972 model) but I had stacked her in a pile of baskets and boxes so her arms and face are totally stained.

So I bought her new underpants, socks, shoes and a beautiful dress, and also gave her this treatment to restore her natural beauty:

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/...pg?t=1414143135

But she is still stained and her hair is unsalvageable. I feel so bad for neglecting my Shirley!

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 5:38 PM
I make Obitsu dolls in my spare time.

So far, I have made a Justin Timberlake doll with a handlebar mustache and goatee.

In progress is a Manba doll I call Machiko, after the late, great Machiko Soga (played Rita Repulsa in the Japanese footage from Zyuranger) and one of Alice Cooper, which I have to admit that the head placement on the female dolls is harder with the bodies I chose.

I am working on a stop-motion show.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:34 PM
@simbalena: Do you have many other dolls? She's so cute! I wish this site had an "adorable" button!

@PANDAQUEEN: You should totally post pictures! I'd love to see them!
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:17 AM
No I don't have other dolls, just a few old teddies from when I was a kid and 25 smurfs.

When I was looking up doll stuff to fix my Shirley all the interesting dolls made me want to collect some, but I am not going to do it as I don't have the space and should save my money.

I am tempted to buy a couple of special old ones though.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Instructor
#21 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 9:11 PM
All of your posts make me laugh a lot and very uncomfortable so I'll leave...

Here are some examples:

I wouldn't call myself a collector, but I'm very interested in dolls.

You should totally post pictures! I'd love to see them!

But she is still stained and her hair is unsalvageable. I feel so bad for neglecting my Shirley!

Maybe even more so!

During Christmas I always put it among the shepherds in my mother's nativity scene.
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 12:40 AM
We all have things that make us a little weird :P
Theorist
#23 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
We all have things that make us a little weird :P

Do not. I've got a LOT of things that make me a LOT weird. My life is a list of the unlikely, atypical, extraordinary, and ridiculous.
#24 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 3:32 AM
I've never really been into dolls. I was more of the adventurous and nerdy type when I was young.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 10:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
I've never really been into dolls. I was more of the adventurous and nerdy type when I was young.

I was like that too when I was a kid, I had barbies for when I was alone and stuck inside, and they'd do things like become stranded on desert islands or have super powers and fight.
I absolutely HATED baby dolls, my sister had loads of them, I thought it was weird that she pretended to have a baby and she was a little kid...

I mostly spent my time indoors playing computer games, but we had to share the computer (PS1) so I couldn't play on it all the time.
I spent a lot of time over in the field behind my house with a neighbour kid, pretending we'd been transported to some mythical kingdom where we were the only chance for their survival (we basically pretended to be warlords but romanticized). Or we'd pretend to have a farm with animals and fields.
If we weren't at the field, we were in the woods not too far from our houses, pretending to be elves and other mythical creatures, or pretending that we found fairies or scaring ourselves pretending to be followed by territorial centaurs and every noise we heard was them watching us!

It was a long time after I stopped playing with barbies (and started thinking about boys) before I became interested in dolls again. (after I got myself a boy and had freed up my mind for other hobbies )
Page 1 of 2