Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 10:57 PM
Default I have a question about mods and the Pets expansion...
(I'm not sure whether or not this belongs here, but it seems so general that it doesn't look like it belongs in the CAS Parts section...)

I heard that older mods will not work properly with Pets unless they are repaired a certain way... (Forgot how, I'll have to look it up later for my older mods. ^^; )

I do have Pets, but right now I can't play it because my graphics card is outdated. I've uninstalled Pets and am playing with the basegame only. However, I have updated the game to Patch 1.29. (I'm pretty sure that's the latest one.)

I'd like to continue making mods, but I don't know whether or not they'll work once I upgrade my PC and reinstall Pets.

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, if I'm on the latest patch, will I still need to fix up my mods once I install Pets? I'd like to continue modding in the meantime while I look for a new graphics card, but I'd rather not have to go back and fix up all my mods later.

So... Should I hold off on modding until I can install Pets, or will I be fine as long as my game patch is up-to-date?

Oh, and should I download a new version of CTU, or any other tools?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 10:46 AM
There hasn't been a new version of CTU since 2009, and although the Pets expansion and patch broke most objects, it didn't affect CAS parts, so you're OK with the current version of CTU. You will need the latest versions of anything that you can make objects with, though, such as S3PE and s3oc.

As for making mods, you won't be able to test your mods to make sure they don't unexpectedly interfere with any pet interactions unless you have Pets installed. For instance, I remade my 'No Coughing While Eating' mod when I didn't yet have Pets but had the patch 1.26 update - worked fine for me, but players who had Pets were advising me that the mod was interfering with a new action called 'Throw Scrap' in which sims can throw scraps of food to their pets from the dinner table, which of course I didn't even know existed because I didn't have Pets myself. I was only able to test that and fix it after I got Pets and could see what was happening. So probably best to wait until you can reinstall Pets before making mods for it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 1:33 AM
Thanks EsmeraldaF! I'm glad CAS parts aren't affected... That's what I've been focusing on making so far.

I don't think I'll be making objects for a while. I do eventually want to, though, so it's good to know what to update.

So I guess I can carry on as usual for now... ^^

Thanks again! :D