Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 1:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default choosing a new simming computer and transferring data help needed
Recently my simming computer has reached the end of its lifespan (Mysterious computer error that changes every time you turn it on bad), and I would like some advice and help with a few things. First of all, does Windows 8 run the Sims 3 (does it run the Sims 2 as well?). My old simming computer was a Windows Vista Home Premium, and it seemed to run it fine, albeit a bit laggy. Second of all--- is my Sims 3 game data, custom content, and sims transferable? I have spend quite a good deal of time accumulating CC and creating sims meticulously from pictures of celebrities and would hate to lose all that work so suddenly. I think I may be able to recover my old data, and I would very much like to attempt to transfer it. Thirdly, will transferring Sims 3 files cause any issues? Will CC not show up properly, will sims I've created glitch out, or will saved worlds go up in a big fiery ball visible from space? Give me all the details.

So TL;DR Does Windows 8 run the sims 3, can you transfer sims 3 data to another computer, and will doing so cause problems?

Thank you for any help,
Sam
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 2:45 PM
there shouldn't be any more issue on windows 8 than on 7 or Vista and yes you can import saved data from the old pc to the new one. You should probably setup the new pc with the same games and patch level as the old one, start and run the game to make sure it's ok before you add any of your saved data, save your User Files to a flash drive or disc and copy them to the new pc. You'll probably want SavedGames, Downloads (to reinstall sims3packs), Mods/Packages folder, SavedSims folder (if you created or installed any).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 4:08 PM
Thanks a bunch! The only thing is, I deleted any sims3packs in my downloads folder after installation. Will copying over the DDcache or whatever it's called work instead?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 4:36 PM
Yes, that'll work.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.